PDA

View Full Version : Car overheating, might throw it off a cliff.

stiadouc
06-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey, car is overheating!

Replaced the head gasket, all hoses, pressure tested everything and all that stuff

(Might add its a DC2 VTi-R Integra)

Still overheats (Not as much as before I replaced the head gasket)

Was driving up a hill the other day, and the car heated up to over half, had to turn the heater up to get it all sucked out, does anyone know how to resolve my overheating issue? It isn't as bad recently, cause I replaced the hoses and head gasket, however it still heats up on hills and stop start traffic.

Thanks

jdm18c
06-09-2011, 10:22 AM
have ya checked the thermostat? bleed the cooling system properly so no air or bubbles??

NightKids
06-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeap definately check the thermostat

grifty
06-09-2011, 10:34 AM
could also be a blocked radiator.

chauster
06-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Are the top/bottom pipes hot? Is radiator turning on? Is thermostat working?

dc2r-0636
06-09-2011, 12:17 PM
yeh as sed above check that the bottom hose is hot. if the car has been running for over 10-15mins and the bottom hose is hot at all then ur thermostat is stuck closed

anzai
06-09-2011, 12:24 PM
you replaced head gasket before replacing thermostat????????

chauster
06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
you replaced head gasket before replacing thermostat????????

Money well wasted

seihoa
06-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Run the car without a thermostat if it still overheats its your radiator blocked.

Do the fans turn on?

stiadouc
06-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Before I got the head gasket replaced, I got the thermostat done because it was seizing. I ran it without one for a while, still heated up, so I just got a replacement one anyway. I had all this typed up before, full explanation but the computer I was on at school messed up.

stiadouc
06-09-2011, 04:00 PM
The mechanic said he fixed the fans, as they were broken, yet to check them myself, the car only seems to heat up in traffic, and on hills, not nearly as bad as before I got the head replaced

dc2r-0636
06-09-2011, 05:26 PM
do u no if the fans switch on wen the car is in traffic ?

stiadouc
06-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Not sure, I'll have a look when I get home from TAFE, he said he fixed it though. Would the water pump be a possibility I read somewhere it should be replaced around about now, KM wise.

jdm18c
06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
what mechanic you take it to lol

dougie_504
06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Waterpump every 100k KM's when you do the timing belt mate.

So the fans ARE turning on when stationary, yes? Is there enough voltage running through to spin turn them on?

stiadouc
06-09-2011, 06:02 PM
I'll get back to you on that one, the top hose coming out of the radiator after a drive it heaps hot, should i be worried about that? Or just the bottom one

dc2r-0636
06-09-2011, 06:42 PM
the bottom one being similar temp to the top one will indicate ur thermostat is working fine.

the top one goes to the engine, while the bottom one has already cycled thru the engine and is bout to go thru the radiator then back out the top hose and go to the engine.

i think usually wen a water pump goes u will just piss out coolant ? happen to my old mans holden

stiadouc
06-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I just started her up, let her idle for 10 minutes, had a look at the fans and they weren't spinning, I'll sound retarded here, cause I have no idea how they work. I tried a different combination of things, such as turning on the A/C and all that other stuff, both fans would only spin if I had the A/C on. I took the car around the block and pulled over to see if the fans were spinning, this is whilst I had nothing turned on (A/C). Not sure if that means anything, the temperature gauge didn't turn up over half, stayed well under, which is common on my short drives, but once I get over an hour it tends to heat up over half, and continues to rise. I felt the two hoses coming out of the radiator, the top one was pretty damn hot, whereas the one below that was alot cooler, was warm.

There is no indication of coolant leaks anywhere, as all seals seem to be doing their job correctly. Since I'm no longer on my iPhone, I'll give you a description of the recent service history.

I first noticed it over heating a few months after I purchased the car from my uncle (Who took an amazing record of all services etc) I got all the hoses replaced, as they were perished and leaking. Still over heated, so I got the thermostat taken out and tested, it was seizing so I ran without one for a while, still heated up. Got the replacement thermostat, tested it, passed and put it in. Still heated up. Replaced the head gasket (After it being tested etc) and then it didn't heat up nearly as much as it did, it hardly did, took it on the exact same drives as before and it ran perfectly. My main concern is that it still heats up going up hills, or in stop-start traffic. Its a 94 VTI-R Integra, would it be just because its an old car? or is there a more logical explanation for this stuff.

Thanks.

EG52NV
06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
To see if your fan ever works when car is off mark one of the fins with permanent marker drive for 10 mins of the fins changed position your fan turned on

stiadouc
06-09-2011, 07:35 PM
To see if your fan ever works when car is off mark one of the fins with permanent marker drive for 10 mins of the fins changed position your fan turned on

Didn't think of that, I'll try it out now, heading off to the gym, I'll be sure to add more info when I'm back

stiadouc
06-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Drove around for a bit, didn't have anything on, fans didn't move.

EG52NV
07-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Drove around for a bit, didn't have anything on, fans didn't move.

Oh dear.. Do further test by unplugging the fan switch (located near the thermostat housing) get a paper clip and jump the 2 connection on the plug this should close the circuit and activate your fan.

If fan turns on your temp switch is dead, if fan does not more your fan is definitely dead.

chargeR
07-09-2011, 09:33 AM
With the car idling stationary from cold it will take a long time for the fans to switch on, do as above and check that your fan switch is working. Then just apply 12V to the fan itself to see if that is working. I think your problem could be the water pump though, if it hasn't been done before then it is probably on it's last legs by this time. I might have missed it earlier in the thread but did you say that both radiator hoses get equally hot? Or does one get hotter than the other? This could point to a coolant circulation problem.

That won't work because the fans will free spin when the car is moving. Also any slight imbalance in the fan will make one point of the fan always end up at the top.

NSPYRE
07-09-2011, 11:14 AM
my money is on waterpump

stiadouc
07-09-2011, 11:37 AM
The water pump was replaced in 2001 according to the service history. I read on team-integra.net that "According to the Helms service manual, it is recommend that the timing belt and water pump be replaced under normal driving conditions every 90,000 to 105,000 miles (144,000 to 168,000 km) or every 6 to 7 years. If you drive under more severe conditions, replacing the belt sooner like around 60,000 miles (120,000 km) might be recommended."

As stated, the pump was replaced in 2001, so according to the statement above, it should be changed based on time, and mileage.

In regards to the hoses coming out of the radiator, the top one is hotter than the one below it. (Bottom one is warm, top one is hot)

I originally thought that it could be the water pump, like what NSPYRE said. Is there a way I can test to see if the pump is faulty or not?

redefine
07-09-2011, 03:08 PM
check the radiator, one of my old cars used to overheat constantly, untill it eventually blew out the top tank of the radiator, new one solved the problem.

stiadouc
07-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Just got back from a drive, car heated up again going up a hill, I was in traffic and couldn't pull off anywhere so I turned on the A/C and stuff, heat gauge went right down below half (happy with that) and then when I got home, I left the car idling, fans were not spinning (turned A/C off when I got in the driveway) Felt top hose, was boiling, bottom was warm.

When you mean 'check the radiator' what am I looking for? I had a look, no leaks anywhere that I can see.