PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Honda Civic EG (SI) - Clutch & Accelerator Problem

notJDM
07-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Been having these problems for quite some time now. It's really uncomfortable and annoying driving like this, at first I thought it was normal until I drove other manual cars.

Clutch Problem:

- My clutch pedal seems soft and loose, the friction point is all the way up on the pedal. Is there a way I can fix this?

- I don't know if this is a clutch problem but it should have something to do with it. When I am not pressing on the clutch pedal I hear some noise sounding similar like air blowing "arrrrr". When I am pressing down on the clutch pedal the sound stops. Also when I drive around 2500-3000RPM the sound gets louder. - does anyone know what is going on and is there a way to fix it?

Accelerator Problem:

- The accelerator pedal seems very soft and loose aswell. It's not very responsive, I can put my pedal all the way to the floor on 2nd-3rd gear and the speed won't increase immediately. I have drove other manual cars and feel that their acceleration is more sensitive and more responsive, it's like you get a nice pull when accelerating. - does anyone know what is wrong with my acceleration, and how can I fix this problem?

Hope yall can help me! Daily driving like this has been really uncomfortable!

jdm_b16a
07-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Given both of those symptoms I'd say your clutch needs replacing. No/slow increase in speed in high gears is a tell-tale sign.

Get it looked at.

Peter

impossi13le
07-09-2011, 10:16 PM
if you can feel the clutch slipping while driving (engine goes through the rev range with your right foot to the floor whilst engaged in gear before it actually starts responding) then id say you have to replace the clutch pretty damn soon. Also that whirring noise you hear while driving sounds like the clutch release bearing about to give up on life. Had the same exact symptoms on my supra before it screwed up - expensive mistake lol

notJDM
07-09-2011, 11:42 PM
I was thinking that the clutch is on it's way out before but some people just say that my clutch pedal need adjusting since my friction point is very high. - but if that noise is from the clutch then I guess it's time for a new one. Anyone know how much for a normal clutch incl. labour? How much for a heavy duty one incl. labour?

As for the accelerator problem, I don't know what is the problem and how to fix it, can anyone please help me out on this one? With this problem everyday driving is really uncomfortable and sluggish. Been driving my friends cars and their acceleration is more responsive and sensitive. Dunno what is wrong with mine, help?

zhong
08-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Whirring noise is most likely the thrust bearing, whether it is worn out or lost all its grease - this can cause such sounds, usually goes away when you depress the clutch. If this is the case, I don't think it's a MAJOR issue - but if you're experiencing other clutch issues, have someone look at it. Clutch kit for Eg's don't go for much, have a look on ebay etc etc they are OEM excedy's - labour can be somewhere between 250-500 at most depending on which side of town you're from.

Friction point can be adjusted by removing the butterfly pin and adjusting the lock nut to suit your height - search for the OEM clearances and compare, otherwise just adjust it to your liking.

With the accelerator problem, try checking your THROTTLE CABLE under the hood - make sure that there isn't much slack - I think there should only be a 1-2mm play give or take. You can tighten this by using a 10mm wrench and adjusting the lock nut at the throttle body wheel, alternatively search for a DIY.

Peace.

dougie_504
08-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Sounds like thrust bearing, yeah.

Clutch pedal can be adjusted (check workshop manual).

Also as above, adjust the accelerator pedal.

If the clutch starts slipping, replace.