PDA

View Full Version : Nuci's DC5R

Nuci
07-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Hey all,

Ive been a member on here for a few years now, I figure its about time I made a thread about my pride and joy. I bought this '02 DC5R bog stock about 18 months ago, over which time ive slowly built it up to what you see below. Ive spent a stupid amount of money on it, but I love everything about it and it makes me smile every time I drive it. Here's a list of mods so far:

Engine:
- Buddy Club race header
- J's Racing C304R catback (60RS) with resonator removed
- Mugen cold air intake
- Hasport billet engine mounts
- ORC heavy duty clutch
- ORC lightweight flywheel
- Hondata K-Pro

Handling:
- Buddy Club N+ coilovers
- Whiteline front camber bolts
- Buddy Club adjustable rear camber arms
- Whiteline rear swaybar
- Cusco front strut tower bar
- Cusco rear strut tower bar

Wheels / Tyres:
- Work Emotion 11R (18x9.5, +20)
- Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres (235 40R18)
- Top Fuel neochrome extended wheel nuts

Accessories:
- JDM DC5R red valve cover
- JDM DC5R facelift gauge cluster (white face)
- Nardi Deep Corn steering wheel (350mm)
- NRG quick release
- NRG short hub adaptor

Future Mods:
- Buddy Club short throw shift kit
- Toda cams

Pictures:

19836 19837 19843 19844 19835 19838 19839 19840 19841 19842

Its almost at the stage where im ready to take it to a few track days. Would be great to be able to see exactly how it drives after the mods ive made. Comments + criticisms welcome.

Cheers, Daniel.

stevanbonic
07-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Very nice mate :) How has the NRG extended hub treated you? Thinking of buying one because my ideal seating position has the wheel a bit too far from me :p

Wheel fitment looks pretty nice, what made you choose 18's over 17's?

Nuci
08-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Very nice mate :) How has the NRG extended hub treated you? Thinking of buying one because my ideal seating position has the wheel a bit too far from me :p

Wheel fitment looks pretty nice, what made you choose 18's over 17's?

Cheers mate. Yeah the NRG gear is great. Fitment is great, quality is great, and they come in a heap of different colours and finishes as well. Get to keep your horn too. Plus it's almost half the price of the works bell gear. You'll need to buy the NRG short hub adapter (boss kit), not the normal one, because with the normal one and the quick release the wheel would sit way too close. Also you can only run the quick release with an aftermarket wheel. Just a heads up. Highly recommend it though.

As for the 18s, I just thought they filled the guards a bit better than the 17s. Plus that way I can have a 1 finger gap and not have to worry about the exhaust catching on everything. I know 17s are ideal for the track but the car is mainly street driven so had to go for that bit of extra street appeal :)

vtcwpn
08-09-2011, 07:22 PM
slap on a skunk 2 intake manifold and 73mm throttle body and your set mate since you already got hondata k-pro

ITR032
08-09-2011, 08:21 PM
isnt it illlegal to remove the aribags from a car that has airbags stock? looks nice though

Nuci
08-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Isn't 73 mm throttle body a bit big for an NA car??

And I didn't know no airbag was illegal? ;) cheers though man.

02gzm
08-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Duuude. I like soo much more than the old car :D Nice work.

DCB18
08-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Very nice car with great mods. Well done

blk_shadow
08-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I love the wheel offset....nice work..

Nuci
08-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Duuude. I like soo much more than the old car :D Nice work.

Cheers man. Yeah after the crx I had to keep it in the family haha. Only logical upgrade was this or an S2K. Couldn't afford a decent S2K so went with the DC5R and never looked back. Rate the k20a soo highly.

Don't see you on here much man? Didn't know you were still lurking around on the forums haha

Nuci
08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the comments so far guys. Appreciate it.

Any advice on extra parts people could recommend before I take it to the track? This will be my first time so looking to soak up as much info as I can. Not looking to break any records just want it to run smoothly without risking any damage.

Cheers in advance,
Daniel.

stevanbonic
08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all the comments so far guys. Appreciate it.

Any advice on extra parts people could recommend before I take it to the track? This will be my first time so looking to soak up as much info as I can. Not looking to break any records just want it to run smoothly without risking any damage.

Cheers in advance,
Daniel.

Hey buddy, most important things besides changing all fluids is a good high temperature brake fluid and decent pads, OEM brakes will die after a few hard laps. Besides that just nice tyres and a decent alignment :)

02gzm
08-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Yea I still lurk from time to time ;)

Nuci
08-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Hey buddy, most important things besides changing all fluids is a good high temperature brake fluid and decent pads, OEM brakes will die after a few hard laps. Besides that just nice tyres and a decent alignment :)

I'm running ebc greenstuff for my brake pads. Are these and the Goodyear eagle f1 tyres I'm using considered track quality? And will I need a tow hook to take it on the track or is that just an option?

Cheers for the advice Steve

stevanbonic
08-09-2011, 11:13 PM
the pads should do ok, i would probably consider getting some Motul RBF600 Brake fluid to replace the crappy oem stuff though otherwise you may find yourself putting the brake pedal trough the floor :p

Tow hooks are for ricers haha.

Havn't used the Goodyears before, either way it will be good to learn on and when you get some nice sticky tyres you can tell the difference as your driving skill improves :thumbsup:

My Kpro is so close now!

Nuci
08-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Ok I'll look into that cheers mate.

Good to hear the K-Pro is coming :) It'll be the best money you ever spend on your car you will love it mate. Will feel like a completely different car. Biggest thing I noticed was a jump in mid range power, a much smoother and more useable powerband and much more response from the engine. You'll have to give us an update once it's all in :)

stevanbonic
08-09-2011, 11:57 PM
As long as your brakes hold up you will have a blast :) My first time i had burnt tyres, no LSD and no brakes after the second session and still had a good time hehe.

I have wanted Kpro forever so its exciting to finally make the purchase. I was amazed what it did for Timmy's car, his base felt so much punchier then mine and so smooth, yours looked great in the vid you uploaded too, mean sounding exhaust and the power comes on so much smoother.

Will definitely be making an update when i get it tuned, hopefully will be up around 135-138kwatw peak with a nice jump in the midrange too. Kind of feels a bit constipated before around 4500rpm haha.

Nuci
09-09-2011, 08:08 AM
As long as your brakes hold up you will have a blast :) My first time i had burnt tyres, no LSD and no brakes after the second session and still had a good time hehe.

I have wanted Kpro forever so its exciting to finally make the purchase. I was amazed what it did for Timmy's car, his base felt so much punchier then mine and so smooth, yours looked great in the vid you uploaded too, mean sounding exhaust and the power comes on so much smoother.

Will definitely be making an update when i get it tuned, hopefully will be up around 135-138kwatw peak with a nice jump in the midrange too. Kind of feels a bit constipated before around 4500rpm haha.

I think you should be able to come pretty close to 140kw with the mods you've got. I think the Mugen intake I'm using is holding me back a bit. Wish I hadve got the gruppe m back in the day.

45SET
19-09-2011, 02:12 PM
It only just ticked yesterday afternoon (After I left the cruise) who you were...

Car looks good man. Also good to have another DC5R getting around... I actually live in EP, so I'm amazed that we live so close, but we've never met each other before yesterday!

Nuci
19-09-2011, 10:31 PM
It only just ticked yesterday afternoon (After I left the cruise) who you were...

Car looks good man. Also good to have another DC5R getting around... I actually live in EP, so I'm amazed that we live so close, but we've never met each other before yesterday!

Haha yeah i know ay, I've always seen your car at different meets but never met the owner before. Yours inspired me to get mine actually :)

Have to keep an eye out for you at future meets. I wanna try get out to a few more of the jdmst meets, seems like the quality of cars (and people) are the best. Cheers for the comments man. Your car is lookin good as always. Sort that coilovers issue yet??

45SET
20-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Haha yeah i know ay, I've always seen your car at different meets but never met the owner before. Yours inspired me to get mine actually :)

Have to keep an eye out for you at future meets. I wanna try get out to a few more of the jdmst meets, seems like the quality of cars (and people) are the best. Cheers for the comments man. Your car is lookin good as always. Sort that coilovers issue yet??

I'll PM you about the next week, normally a group of us have a little pre-meet at the carwash at Chermside (of Gympie Road) before any of the Southside meets.

Should be getting the Coilovers looked at on the weekend.

stevanbonic
23-09-2011, 07:35 PM
I think you should be able to come pretty close to 140kw with the mods you've got. I think the Mugen intake I'm using is holding me back a bit. Wish I hadve got the gruppe m back in the day.

seems you were right mate, 140.9kWatw lmao :p How did your trackday go??

Nuci
24-09-2011, 08:41 AM
seems you were right mate, 140.9kWatw lmao :p How did your trackday go??

Was just reading your build thread then and saw the good news :) gotta be happy with that mate! Taken her for a spirited drive yet? Worth the money? The car isn't quite ready for the track yet, few more little bits and pieces to come and then itll be ready :)

stevanbonic
24-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Was just reading your build thread then and saw the good news :) gotta be happy with that mate! Taken her for a spirited drive yet? Worth the money? The car isn't quite ready for the track yet, few more little bits and pieces to come and then itll be ready :)

Yeh the car feels fantastic, K20 is an amazing motor! Worth every cent I paid, Kpro removed the stick out of the proverbial ass :p

I know how you feel there is always loose ends you can never be bothered attending to until the last minute haha. I keep having to resist looking at hubs and steering wheels because of you lol!

Nuci
24-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Well if it helps I love the combo I've got at the moment :) money well spent