PDA

View Full Version : Debadging help!

boonta
08-09-2011, 05:07 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll8/boonta03/C360_2011-09-0816-00-00.jpg

hi guys,

as you can see from the photo....my debadging attempt hasn't gone so well. i've been trying all arvo to try and get the excess adhesive off, but it just won't budge.

been using wax/grease remover over and over again with no success.

can anyone help? is there another way?

redefine
08-09-2011, 05:21 PM
try geting some methylated spirits, or mineral turpentine, a rag, and a plastic paint scraper. might help.

charliebrown
08-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Eucalyptus oil with a cotton bud to take sticky shit all off then an abrasive polish on application pad so theres no outline left on paint.

boonta
08-09-2011, 05:35 PM
try geting some methylated spirits, or mineral turpentine, a rag, and a plastic paint scraper. might help.

won't the paint scraper damage the paint?

the adhesive seems to be really caked on. been using an old credit card, work a little bit, but can't get the hard bits off

jajaja
08-09-2011, 05:35 PM
I did this quite a while ago. Use a hairdryer or a heat gun to heat up the adhesive and then spray on some wd40 or some sort of tar remover. Leave it to settle for a couple minutes before trying to rub it all off. Patience is the key. Oh and btw, once its gone, itll leave a ghost of the badge, so you'll need to buff it out.

redefine
08-09-2011, 05:38 PM
if you use a metal one the paint scraper will damage the paint, but the plastic one will be fine :)

boonta
08-09-2011, 05:54 PM
cheers guys...will try those suggestions tmr and post back hopefully with some success!

mocchi
08-09-2011, 07:19 PM
wd40 works good too.

chauster
09-09-2011, 12:01 PM
go to a paint supplier shop, super cheap might have it im not sure. Its called a Rubber wheel. its what we use at work to remove all double side tap. You just put it in the drill and it rubs all the double side tape away. but be careful not to burn through the paint.

You could try to soak a towel/cloth in wax and grease remover and leave it on for about 5 hours and keep applying the wax and grease to keep the cloth wet. The tape will then be like goo and it should come off very easily.

boonta
09-09-2011, 12:03 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll8/boonta03/C360_2011-09-0911-05-25.jpg

ok guys, tried the methods suggested yesterday, and still no good. i think most of the crap is off, but it also looks like the paint might have also been damaged leaving an outline u can see. it's not so bad when u look at it from certain angles, but if there's a bright light source then it's very visible.

i think i'm just about to throw in the towel!

dougie_504
09-09-2011, 03:11 PM
So you tried eucalyptus oil? That worked for me...

Is the paint damaged? Can you feel any damaged under your fingernail?

xclusive_eg8
09-09-2011, 03:31 PM
just use some oil or just leave it on, eventually itl come off. but yea try everything listed here and with oil on a cloth, put your back into it

Loagz
09-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I did this just last week. I used Prepsol + soft rag or cloth = 100% worked for me. good luck

anzai
10-09-2011, 01:17 AM
cut and polish

x3cindymichael
13-09-2011, 12:02 AM
methylated spririts/mineral turpentine on a rag worked best for me. took me a while .. but got got the job done.. you just gotta keep running it in and put a lot of elbow grease in (stay patient) or you could try paint thinner (try on a inconspicuous spot first) tried it on my mates car and it worked, car was white but. or try cut and polish that could work too.

hope this helps , goodluck

boonta
13-09-2011, 12:29 AM
hi guys,

thanks for all the suggestions. i've tried the eucalyptus oil previously before switching to wax/grease remover as it didn't seem to work. i'll try it again tomorrow and see how i go, along with all the other suggestions. i just hope that i don't screw up the paint cos it already looks like it's partly damaged.

never done a cut and polish...so worried about doing that method

x3cindymichael
13-09-2011, 11:36 AM
yeah goodluck with it . i'd try cut and polish on a inconspicuous spot of the car first . cut and polish pretty much takes off a thin layer of paint to bring out the brightness of the new paint? well we use it after paintjobs. My friends and I DIY'ed a paintjob on one of my civics a while back , turned out a bit dull, after cut and polish turned out really nice, it took off a thin layer of the old paint , but didn't look bad or anything. My recommendation would be try a inconspicuous spot of the car first. Goodluck

flashcvc
21-09-2011, 06:59 PM
This happend to me aswell....

I drenched the area with hot water then scrubbed the area gently with a rag....

Worked for me and it didnt ruin/scratch the paint...

GL with it anyway....

NightKids
21-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Don't think methalated spirits is a good idea. Used that for debadging my car and it made the paint 2 shades lighter than the rest of the point.

x3cindymichael
23-09-2011, 10:54 PM
yeah thats why i said try on a inconspicuous spot first. i used this on my first car while debadging paint looked fine to me after, but as soon as i finished i used soap and water. but yeah agree with nightkids could ruin paint.. cut and polish has worked on my car just before i sold it . goodluck

GU357
23-09-2011, 11:50 PM
i did some using petrol, works for me, if not, put a decal on it (Y)

EGB
24-09-2011, 12:17 AM
As previously said. Mineral Turps, Just use a rag and go at it, have done it plenty of times - will work a charm

And will not damage paint, do not use methalated spirits

the animal
25-09-2011, 09:43 PM
heat up the glue so it is warm and then use metho/turps/orange oil or like a rubber caramel wheel on a drill