PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox issues. Rebuild or Buy Low kms one?

ALPS
08-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi Guys,

I'll be replacing my diff in the very near future. My gearbox also needs to have something done about it. thought i'd do em together n save on labor. its Very notchy. Has already had new oil put in just a week or so ago. feels very loose and flimsy and very annoying to drive with. I called around for gearboxes. anywhere with a low 50 kms AP1 gearbox wanted 2200. I found Honda World who offered 1650 swapover with my existing one, 2000 to install and swap over with existing. Or 2200 to re-build. I asked and he said he wouldnt bother rebuilding and would just swap over with the 54kms because he believed it is in such good condition. now i dont know if its just to sell off the gearbox he has or he means what he is saying. do i rather spend few hundred more and rebuild my gearbox? is that too much? do they even do good rebuilds of gearboxes? anyone know? i'm lost for what i should do. i'm aware i'm going to need atleast 5gs bare minimum to have a gearbox and diff replaced.

ALPS
08-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Sorry he also has the diff from the same car the gearbox is coming from. for 3 grand he said he can swap them both over and installed. i was going to get a puddy mod diff delivered which would be about probably close to 3gs with shipping on its own. what would you guys do? im thinking get the diff and gearbox from honda world just to keep my car going till i save up more and get a proper diff.

jesses2k
08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Which puddymod diff were u getting? I thought it was only about $1900 shipped to AUS for a Stage 2.

azzar
11-09-2011, 06:48 PM
When u said u have gearbox issue how does it feel like? cause i think mine might have problems but all my mates says its fineee soo i jsut want to compare!

Engin09
11-09-2011, 08:41 PM
compare with other s2000's before you go ahead with this... you may just be paranoid, try getting your clutch bled and also change the gearbox oil before going ahead with a rebuild.

ALPS
12-09-2011, 12:34 AM
Which puddymod diff were u getting? I thought it was only about $1900 shipped to AUS for a Stage 2.

from Ben aka puddymod himself 'standard build Stage 2 rear with Mazda Speed 4.44 gears is $2,210' that's not including shipping.

ALPS
12-09-2011, 12:38 AM
When u said u have gearbox issue how does it feel like? cause i think mine might have problems but all my mates says its fineee soo i jsut want to compare!

Sometimes impossible to select gears. have to flick between them until it goes into gear. Mainly 1st 2nd and reverse.. sometimes third. extremely notchy and feels like it hits a few things on the way into gear. like doesnt just slide in. really annoying and jerky. also while im reversing if i push the clutch back in sounds like something in the gearbox let loose and wobbles. really wierd. it can't be right. it didn't feel like that when i first had it. i've had it for 10 months now. or i've just started picking on things alot now.

ALPS
12-09-2011, 12:44 AM
compare with other s2000's before you go ahead with this... you may just be paranoid, try getting your clutch bled and also change the gearbox oil before going ahead with a rebuild.

i would like to try out another s2000 and see how it is, but i highly doubt i'm just paranoid. it's really annoying to drive. I've had it for 10 months and don't recall it being this bad at all from the start. only past few months it has begun. my clutch was changed and gearbox was flushed out with no metal pieces or anything in there and new oil topped up with VMX80 a couple weeks ago. Didn't make any improvement.

ALPS
12-09-2011, 12:45 AM
i also got my clutch master and slave cylinder replaced a month or so ago before i replaced my clutch because of different issues i was having with the clutch. made no difference either. was my thrust bearing that was gone.