PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket support for different hondas?

Jonno34
10-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey everyone,
Im looking to get a car play about with on the tracks, doesnt need to be too powerful for now while I learn to drive it properly, but i'd like a car with some good aftermarket support, relatively cheaper to modify, and good "bang for buck" mods.
ive been looking at integras, preludes and civics so far.

at the moment, ive got my sights on a gen 3 vti-r integra, gen 4 vti-r prelude, an EG civic vti, and a EK civic vti. (my budgets around 5k for the car for now at a max)

would love some feedback from everyone elses experience with modifying these sorts of cars and which would be the best for me :)

thanks!

trism
10-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda's have a massive after market, no matter what one you buy.

Honda's have the biggest range of parts for pretty much any brand made after 1980.

munkaii
10-09-2011, 10:15 AM
For the greatest aftermarket support, I think the EG/EK Civics and the DC2R are easily at the top.

marquee
10-09-2011, 10:22 AM
Doesnt the dc2r have a better chasis stock?

dougie_504
10-09-2011, 11:54 AM
It sure does, I think the chassis is seamwelded, no sound deadening, stiffer subframe, standard strut braces, large sway bars, 282mm rotors etc etc.

Lukey
10-09-2011, 11:57 AM
whats lightest chassis to start with? ef/ed?

Jccck
10-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Peoples opinions on the 'best' choice will differ, as we all have different likes and have owned different cars.

But personally i believe for mild track use and a bit of modifying.. It DOES NOT MATTER whether you have an '88 Civic Hatchback, an '06 Accord Euro or a '00 Prelude.
After you take weight, power and suspension characteristics into account.. Add a few thousand dollars in the right places to weed out the problems.. And drive it for long enough to learn the car; They'll all be prettymuch the same!

Find something that suits you, i chose a 91 Accord.. Because i'm insane and i love to be different!
If you like Civics, pick a Civic.. But there's no 'wrong' answer to your question.

trism
10-09-2011, 12:32 PM
whats lightest chassis to start with? ef/ed?

Yeah man, ef crx. It's like, 50kg lighter than the civic.

Then you replace the rear hatch with a cf and Perspex item, and it'll drop another 50 off straight up.

Jonno34
10-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Peoples opinions on the 'best' choice will differ, as we all have different likes and have owned different cars.

But personally i believe for mild track use and a bit of modifying.. It DOES NOT MATTER whether you have an '88 Civic Hatchback, an '06 Accord Euro or a '00 Prelude.
After you take weight, power and suspension characteristics into account.. Add a few thousand dollars in the right places to weed out the problems.. And drive it for long enough to learn the car; They'll all be prettymuch the same!

Find something that suits you, i chose a 91 Accord.. Because i'm insane and i love to be different!
If you like Civics, pick a Civic.. But there's no 'wrong' answer to your question.

yeah definitely, its not going to be a hardcore track car, but I'd like to play around modifying the car and dont want to buy the car and then find that parts are expensive and its a hard car to work on.

cheers for the help guys, im gonna go looking at the EK/EG vti civics and the integra!

dougie_504
10-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Yeah man, ef crx. It's like, 50kg lighter than the civic.

Then you replace the rear hatch with a cf and Perspex item, and it'll drop another 50 off straight up.

ED CRX tin-roof is the lightest, right? 890kg? Sunroof add 15kg, and the EF CRX are about 980kg for the glass-top.

Lukey
10-09-2011, 05:57 PM
and most aerodynamic? id assume dc2

bennjamin
10-09-2011, 06:02 PM
and most aerodynamic? id assume dc2

Nondifference in Hondas lol - they max out at 160 or 170 at most tracks !

Lukey
10-09-2011, 06:15 PM
is that why my car got to 175 in fourth (redline) and couldnt go any faster in 5th?

mugen_ctr
10-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Stick to civic or Integra if u want parts that are widely avaliable, prelude parts are harder to come by here imo

majority tuners tune civics an teggy's, there are quite a few variations of tuned civics/dc2 from purpose built 9 second drag to timeattack/Autocross setups.

Even on here, few guys already have dedicated track eg/ek, and than few have drag setups, look through the build sections.....

imo, stick to civics/teggy, forget the lude as there isnt much support here in oz

Jonno34
10-09-2011, 08:52 PM
thanks everyone, definitely sticking to the integras/civics

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Honda-Civic-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ312470731 - EK vti coupe
http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Honda-Civic-VTI-94-W0QQAdIdZ310806290 - EG vti sedan
http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Honda-Integra-DC2-VTi-R-B18C-VTEC-W0QQAdIdZ309815626 - DC2 Vti-R

those are the cars im considering at the moment :)

gumus89
10-09-2011, 11:20 PM
is that why my car got to 175 in fourth (redline) and couldnt go any faster in 5th?

You defs needed a slight downhill.

mugen_ctr
10-09-2011, 11:59 PM
thanks everyone, definitely sticking to the integras/civics

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Honda-Civic-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ312470731 - EK vti coupe
http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Honda-Civic-VTI-94-W0QQAdIdZ310806290 - EG vti sedan
http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-cars-Honda-Integra-DC2-VTi-R-B18C-VTEC-W0QQAdIdZ309815626 - DC2 Vti-R

those are the cars im considering at the moment :)

Not a fan of EH sedans, so i wont make any judgments lol

Go for the DC2, simply as it offers more than what the others have, B18c2 motor, disc brakes all around, better seats, more sports orientated car over all

BUT if u want more style, better ride comfort, def go the civic coupe, its a good cruiser for what it is, and plenty of leg and passenger room, infact its more roomy than a falcodore, i know, cause i got one lol

To get the Civic up to scratch with the Dc2, u do have to do a bit of work, most notable the missing b-series motor, but also the suspension mods, and brakes, but if ur like me, and enjoy a bit of challenge, get the coupe, and mod it up nicely, do the brake conversion, as well as swaybar mods, an it will match the dc2 interms of handling

Jonno34
11-09-2011, 02:21 AM
I chose those 2 civics since they were Vti models, have a little bit more power than the standard civics
seem to be in reasonable shape ... i thought itd be a good idea with the civics to buy something like a vti with an okay amount of power, work on handling/stopping while i learn to drive the car well, then put the B series in and then work on power.

initially i thought the EG/EH sedan was a good choice, since with 2k cheaper than the EK I could work on suspension/brakes/tyres etc
but then the EK coupe already has 17s and tyres - that in itself would probably be a fair bit more to spend on the eg/eh sedan

i do like working on cars, i dont have very much experience at all, but Id love to be able to do basic stuff on this car myself and learn as I go so the civic seems like a fun lil project car.

Jonno34
11-09-2011, 08:58 PM
saw the EG sedan today - its in HORRIBLE shape owner didnt seem to care about his car at all and almost half the paint has been faded away so had to walk away from that one!