PDA

View Full Version : Rust Prevention Advice

EP3TYPER
10-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Hey guys,

I have noticed some rust in my engine bay in a very hard to reach spot. It will be hard to treat it properly without taking the engine out.

I have used sandpaper and a bit of thinners to remove as much as I can and have gone over it with a tiny paint brush but there are definitely some areas I have missed (my hand does not fit)

I am planning on getting the engine rebuilt in a few years time and was wandering if there is anything I can do/use to prevent the rust from growing any further until I have the engine out and can do the proper treatment?

trism
10-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Spray fish oil on it.

EP3TYPER
10-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Does it matter that I have touched up some spots with touch up paint around the area which might still have rust underneath the paint?

trism
10-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah coz the rust will continue to corrode underneath.

EP3TYPER
10-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Once the rust is there it will keep on growing wont it. Doesnt fish oil just prevent rust on surfaces which already dont have rust.

aaronng
10-09-2011, 09:09 PM
You need to use rust convertor. Usually it is phosphoric acid based which converts the rust to a dark and hard coating. If you sand all of the rust off, then use rust convertor to get the residue, then you have a better chance at arresting the spread of rust. After that, you neutralise the acid with an alkali solution (like sodium bicarb), flush with water, dry and then paint over.

grifty
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
You need to use rust convertor. Usually it is phosphoric acid based which converts the rust to a dark and hard coating. If you sand all of the rust off, then use rust convertor to get the residue, then you have a better chance at arresting the spread of rust. After that, you neutralise the acid with an alkali solution (like sodium bicarb), flush with water, dry and then paint over.

+1 this is the proper way to get rid of rust.