PDA

View Full Version : Apexi Vtec Timer - EK4

Tu88y
14-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. When installing a Apexi Vtec Timer. What is the best rev point to set the timer on when the Vtec should kick in. Bare in mind my Honda Civic Ek4 is standard.

spoondc2
14-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. When installing a Apexi Vtec Timer. What is the best rev point to set the timer on when the Vtec should kick in. Bare in mind my Honda Civic Ek4 is standard.

Best thing is to run your car on dyno, set vtec on at 3000rpm, give it a run, 2nd run on 7000rpm, then you'll see there are matching point in somewhere, that's the best vtec point

JR Performance
14-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Best thing is to run your car on dyno, set vtec on at 3000rpm, give it a run, 2nd run on 7000rpm, then you'll see there are matching point in somewhere, that's the best vtec point

Good call mate, that is exactly the best way to find it, but dont do the first run any lower than 3000rpm.

jimmeh
14-02-2005, 02:49 PM
if u got stock cams then leave it.

Tu88y
15-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Well im not sure if the internal stuff on my car has been changed or not....

VTEC16
15-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Well im not sure if the internal stuff on my car has been changed or not....

if none of the peripheral stuff is changed - chances are the internal stuff isnt!

......the dyno is the only way..... everyone on every honda related forum says exactly the same thing....

bennjamin
15-02-2005, 04:40 PM
running any distinct change in lobe intervene - on a totally stock engine + ECU would lead to issues with oil flow thru the head and eventual failure im sure ?!?

In other words , I would not mess with VTEC cut in at all on a stock engine.

wynode
15-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Not sure about the effect on oil floor and failure, but don't expect to gain any power on a stock engine by just changing the VTEC cut in point.

EK9
16-02-2005, 03:04 AM
Look at it this way... Honda designed your stock engine to get the max performance out of it with alot of R&D, so i would assume the VTEC cut in point is already the "best" where it is... especially if internals are stock. Even with bolt ons, i wouldn't think changing the engagement point would make HEAPS of difference... that's my 2c.

|N|
16-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Look at it this way... Honda designed your stock engine to get the max performance out of it with alot of R&D, so i would assume the VTEC cut in point is already the "best" where it is... especially if internals are stock. Even with bolt ons, i wouldn't think changing the engagement point would make HEAPS of difference... that's my 2c.

:thumbsup:

fully agree~~~

honda do things for a reason... they know wat they doing

Macros
16-02-2005, 07:08 AM
The stock point is perfect for a stock b16a2.

If you change the vtec crossover point without adjusting air/fuel then you will get a decrease in power.

Changing the vtec point is nothing if you don't change the fueling to suit.

ATSEK4
16-02-2005, 10:45 AM
for my car i found that my vtec point is 6100rpm. no matter where i tune my car. i tried a few shop.. and they all said i got power increase till 6100rpm. but i found it is too late.

anyone used to put toda a spec cam and what is the vtec point?

Tu88y
16-02-2005, 11:58 AM
I don't know much about Honda's. Just wondering if you could advised me on what I need to change on my car to get about 140 to 160 KW of power out of my car.

BSRacer
16-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I posted on this topic about a month ago when I bough a vtec controller off ebay. I've done quite a bot of reading since then. The general consensus I was given was to set it 4500 rpm on a stock car, (on B16a it usually comes on 5500 rpm, correct me if i'm wrong). I'd tell you how good it was if I could but I'm being stuffed around by the guys importing my car and I still haven't got it yet :(

Tu88y
17-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Thats no good mate... So when are you due to get your car.....

BSRacer
17-02-2005, 05:08 PM
It arrived in Brisbane on 14th Jan, I was supposed to be driving it 2 weeks after that. Now... Who knows? Probly a week or two (I hope)!!!

panda[cRx]
17-02-2005, 05:13 PM
leave it stock fool

Tu88y
21-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Another quick question. Is it easy to install the Apexi Vtec Timer or I have to get it done at the mechanics

VTEC16
21-02-2005, 11:58 AM
I would say that installling it should be very straightforward, just make sure you have the correct wiring diagram and know how to connect wires together!

panda[cRx]
21-02-2005, 12:51 PM
leave it! dont mess with it!

Tu88y
21-02-2005, 01:10 PM
']leave it! dont mess with it!

Panda, Im just gathering information about the item as I might be able to purchase it cheap. It wont be installed until I get other mods for my car...

What Im planning to do is purchase all my mods I want for the car and then install it all in one go....

keztec
21-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda spent millions of dollars on testing these engines to produce peak perormance without detonation and oil problems day in day out... I dont think people like us can wire up a little gimick can wire up a vtec controller and gain huge amounts of power from an already efficient engine!
U want a faster car .. go buy one

VTEC16
21-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Honda spent millions of dollars on testing these engines to produce peak perormance without detonation and oil problems day in day out... I dont think people like us can wire up a little gimick can wire up a vtec controller and gain huge amounts of power from an already efficient engine!
U want a faster car .. go buy one

yes - honda does spend a lot of money researching, and they have a reason for every part of the awesome cars that we drive. However, performance is not the only objective of the engineers that made the cars. Fuel economy, fuel quality and engine longetivity are major factors that come into play with tuning..... if you are only interested in performance, some of these can me marginalised.

Honda did a great job - but its possible to get more power from modding them.

BSRacer
21-02-2005, 11:11 PM
Honda spent millions engineering my stock exhaust, stock headers and stock filter. Does this mean I should sell the HKS pod I just bought and forget about getting extractors and a 2 1/2" exhaust? I understand that somethings a better left alone but it is a bad idea to make such sweeping statements.

Oh I drove my CRX for the first time on (all rock stock, haven't installed vtec controller or pod) and it hauls ass. I'm thinking of not messing with the vtec either!

Tu88y
22-02-2005, 10:22 AM
So you finally got your car. Got any bigger pics of it.........

[[d a n n y]]
22-02-2005, 10:28 AM

damn right.:thumbsup:

BSRacer
22-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Well it's in adelaide but not complianced yet. Been chasing up parts (max props to Bumography and Mr CRX). Should have it either this weekend or next weekend. Will post pics as soon as it's at my place.