PDA

View Full Version : EM1 B16A Starting Issues - Car Runs Fine

ILLIN
14-09-2011, 01:37 AM
Seeking advice as I haven't been able to find a solution here or on google to the specific problem I've been experiencing.

SYMPTOMS
- Starting issues: When the engine is cold the car cranks strong but does not catch immediately. It may take 5 seconds and once started the revs will drop at first then will rise to choke. If the engine is started again within 15 to 20 minutes, it will start with ease sometimes immediately or 'as new'

HISTORY
- I have an EM1 150000kms with no mods. I made the fatal mistake of washing the engine. Eventually, after 30-40kms the car began sputtering, I lost a lot of power until the engine died and I had to get it towed to Hanny's.
- Rob replaced the dizzy and the car still would not start. He then pulled out all spark plugs and noticed water in there. He then blasted all the water out and replaced the spark plugs. Car started fine but was still sputtering.
- Went back to Rob on the same day and got my injectors cleaned. Car still sputtering.
- One week later: Car started and ran like normal.
- Then a rattling noise in my exhaust got louder. The cat melted and blocked approx 80% of the airflow. (Car running rich).
- Replaced the cat. Car running like normal and power restored however still having starting issues.
- Battery eventually died and had that replaced.
- LAST WEEK: I did a minor service + replaced spark plugs, reset ECU. Problem still exists.
- TODAY: Strong crank but still won't start immediately. Though I haven't been able to check it also seems like my fuel efficiency has dropped.
- No Engine Lights come on

SUSPICIONS
- Ignition Timing Issues
- O2 sensor damaged when cat melted
- Low pressure in fuel line

Would appreciate any advice or assistance. As I can't figure out what the problems is. My next course of action was to replace the O2 sensor and hope for the best.

I look forward to any advice or suggestions.

ECU-MAN
14-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi

sounds like a bit of a story there. first of all, the O2 will have no impact on the car starting as it does not begin to function untill it has warmed up ( this takes a few min ). It is infact safe to wash your engine bay with a high pressure hose if you know what your doing. First thing is to know what can take a high pressure hit and what cannot. Items like the distributor, altenator and alarm sirens should not take a prolonged hit of high pressure water. You then must have a air blower to blow away any standing water from the engine and all electrical looms and most importantly all electrical connectors.

in your case sounds like you got water in the distributor, ignition lead shafts, and possibly electrical contacts. Water in the distributor and lead shafts will cause engine mis, if you catch it quick enough and blow the water out you will be OK. However it sounds like you had water in the lead shafts for a while and possibly the distributor as well.

since you dizzy has been replaced, I would assume Hannys would have set the base ignition correctly. I would be inclined to check the main PGMFI relay, check all the electrical connectors in the engine bay for build up of corrosion on connector terminals and if possible borrow another set of leads from someone and test.

ILLIN
19-09-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks ECU Man.

I tested all ignition leads with a multi-meter and all leads seem to be fine.

The lead shafts are dry as of my last sparkplug change approx 2 weeks ago.

How do I check the PGMFI relay... is it a matter of pulling it out and testing it with a multi-meter?

I'll give the engine bay a proper inspection this weekend... but don't exactly know what I'm looking for... could fuel delivery be an issue?

amant02
30-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Same happened to me when i washed my engine bay on me old em1, but when i took it into the dealership, all they did was a major service + dizzy replacement. They told me it was my tappets that were giving me the problem. Something to do with the cyc not sealing properly.

You been trashing your car?

Eg58yu
06-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Hey mate had the exact same problem in my eg b16 it's none of that all it is is a $130 main relay

dougie_504
06-11-2011, 03:41 PM
$130 for a main relay that can be re-welded for free?

Given the onset of the issues I'm leaning more towards ECU-MAN's idea.