PDA

View Full Version : B18 swap running like shit! please help! :(

impossi13le
14-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Hey guys, just need some help desperately :(

I just did a b18c2 conversion on my eg, both obd1, but it runs like shit. Theres a CEL constantly on when im driving, and it doesnt let me rev past 3500 ish rpms - kinda like bogs down if i try anything above that.

Im still using my eg(si)'s car harness, but the motor harness and ecu are from the car that the b18 came out of. Would it be an issue with the harness itself? or is the ecu in safe mode or something? sorry for the noob questions, im a complete failure when it comes to electrics.

Also, it idles rough, at like 1 - 1.3K rpms, constantly changing. Could it be that theres air in the cooling system? I havent checked anything at the moment (faultcodes and etc), just got home (from doing the convert) , but will update more when i do.

If anyone can help please do so, itd be much appreciated! :)

thanks guys,
-Josh

Benson
14-09-2011, 09:16 PM
For starters, try to get rid of all CEL light

Do you know what engine codes is it throwing up? Have you run all the neccessary wiring?

GSi_PSi
14-09-2011, 09:19 PM
Sounds like it's running in limp mode, do a cel code test to determine what's the fault

TODA AU
14-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Sounds like you got the TPS & MAP sensor plugs back-to-front

impossi13le
15-09-2011, 10:14 PM
For starters, try to get rid of all CEL light

Do you know what engine codes is it throwing up? Have you run all the neccessary wiring?

Sounds like it's running in limp mode, do a cel code test to determine what's the fault

I tried the cel code test, found two wires near the ecu, i made up a shorting connector and stuck it in but when ignition is on, theres no flashing cel, still just constantly on. are these the right wires? or am i just retarded?
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/714/photo0023g.jpg

im guessing its in limp mode, but i dont know how to take it off :/ All the wiring used is correct, theres no plugs that are mismatched / not connectec and yeh. maybe my eg si harness doesnt have a vtec line going back to the ecu?

Sounds like you got the TPS & MAP sensor plugs back-to-front

tps and map sensors are correct afaik, the cable for tps is much shorter than the map sensor thus the connector wont reach

what do you guys think it is? :S

thanks for any input!

Benson
15-09-2011, 11:06 PM
You need to bridge the other plug

impossi13le
15-09-2011, 11:40 PM
You need to bridge the other plug

the one that's in the green casing?

Benson
15-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Yes, you can pull it out

91EFFER
16-09-2011, 08:50 PM
did u get it running right bro?

impossi13le
16-09-2011, 11:11 PM
nah, im going to take it to charlie @ goodperformance tomorrow to see what's wrong with it. i think its running rich as well :/

hondaboy5330
16-09-2011, 11:17 PM
The wiring harnes side of things will be fine except for your vtec solinoid wire which u will have to hook up seperatly. Not having the vtec wire hoked up wont effect the genral running of the engine. (It will just be lazy in the upper end of the rev range)
I would take a look at the spark plug leads, i had a drama like this a few years back and it turned out to be one of the leads was busted inside. If you still have your D16, just rob the leads off that to test it with.
Secondly, have you checked the cam timing? I take it you changed the cam belt before installing the engine? You may be one tooth out. Just give it a double check.
Sometimes its the simple things.
Hope you get her going mate.
Cheers
Luke R

impossi13le
19-09-2011, 05:59 PM
charlie fixed it, added vtec wiring and put in new ecu, turns out my old one was beginning to go poo. now everything's running, idles smoothly and yeh :D ahah

thanks for the helpp guys!

-Josh

91EFFER
19-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Happy to hear it mate!

charlie fixed it, added vtec wiring and put in new ecu, turns out my old one was beginning to go poo. now everything's running, idles smoothly and yeh :D ahah

thanks for the helpp guys!

-Josh