View Full Version : alarm system: m80/viper

ducbui91
15-09-2011, 02:51 AM
which one would u guys recommend mongoose m80 or viper 5901
cheers

lemmiwinks
15-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Go with the viper 5901.

I've got the mongoose m80G, fairly average unit. Remote range sucks.

Marst4r
16-09-2011, 12:14 PM
i have viper 5902, the remote range is like 2km's away, really epic stuff... and then gimmicks like remote start etc

flipfire
16-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Viper is much better, could use a louder horn though...

ludecrs
16-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Viper isn't covered under your insurance. Mongoose is.

Simple choice really.

sae
16-09-2011, 01:37 PM
if your range isn't far enough, simply place it against your head and proceed to un/lock your car. It amplifies the signal, honest to God. lol.

ducbui91
16-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Viper isn't covered under your insurance. Mongoose is.

Simple choice really.

why isnt it? and putting it against ur head does really work lol no1 believes it

dc2r-0636
17-09-2011, 12:16 AM
I hate the extra long range, accidently pressing the button and ur car unlocks and if u have remote start..... U come bak and ur car is on

ludecrs
17-09-2011, 10:28 AM
why isnt it? and putting it against ur head does really work lol no1 believes it

Because Mongoose wired are all black, Viper wires are different colours.

flipfire
17-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Its cause it has a 3 point immobilizer and it also pre-programmed to pass mandatory standards for Australia. (eg. It will automatically immobilize itself 30 sec after the engine is turned off and noise settings)

VeYzZii
18-09-2011, 08:54 PM
I got an M80 with a GPS tracker. M80 is awesome. 3 point immobilser, all black cables, automatic immobilise but doesnt lock the doors, silent arm/disarm. Subnote: The remote start feature is illegal in Aus after somebody left it in gear, and remote started his car infront of a mother and baby in a pram.

aozora
25-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Mongoose M80 - if you want a car alarm that does what it's suppose to do.
Viper - if you want to show off to your buddies.

Regardless, how good an alarm is - is up to the installer. If your installer puts everything under the dash in clear view, your Viper will be picked apart by a thief in under a minute. The Mongoose not as easy with the black wiring and 3 points to figure out. Put the unit and wiring somewhere hard to reach/disguised well and it'll take the thief even longer... but if your car has wiring loom weaknesses then it's probably all in vain.

Either way if a thief really wants it, they'll get it :) Ie. Flatbed style :p

zhong
26-09-2011, 03:18 PM
^^^ Or, they can just let it ring for the odd 15 seconds popping the bonnet, and snipping the siren/horn wire. Black or Coloured wires make no difference imo, The thicker the gauge wire, the more likely it is the ground/power cables, snip those and the rest is spaghetti.. Not that I would know. :D

But just saying that you should just get an alarm system that you think would be suitable for you, and make sure you get it installed properly. And remote near the head thing, works like a charm.... lol

lemmiwinks
26-09-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure all alarm sirens have battery back up's these days, so you can't simply disconnect the siren to stop it from screaming. Snipping the thickest gauge wire will most likely just disconnect their sound system :P.

cotties
26-09-2011, 06:09 PM
also with the immobilisers
yes the mongoose may have 3 point system but its up to the installer to decide what 3 points to connect too.
most installers will go for the easiest which is at the ignition barrel so in plain view, and the just run one point with the starter wire and the other 2 with the main ignition power cause the immobiliser circuit can only handle 30 amps so they use 2 circuits in parallel.
also these connections are the cause of doggy installations cause its really difficult to get a good connection between the thick ignition wires and the small 20awg wires they use on the mongoose system.
and its a piece of piss to bypass the circuits cause the immobilised circuits are in plain view so you just cut the wires and join them together.

on the other had viper use external relays so you can use it for what ever you want, any installer could add to the 1 point of immobilising to 100 if you wanted you just need to add more relays.
when i install alarms i immobilise other systems like the fuel pump or coil power, gives the illusion of the car working but it wont start so they will just give up.
i also use other sources other than the ignition wiring for the power source for the siren and the alarm module.

i have also integrated an alarm system into the factory wiring loom, i mounted the modules inside of the aircon box so there impossible to get at, the wiring is all hidden inside of the loom, all power sources are found in undetectable places and all the wire taps for the lights are on the fusebox side of the connectors hidden in all the loom and other wires and the ignition wiring is untouched.
if you look under the dash you wouldn't even know there is an alarm installed, the only hints is the flashing light in the dash and the siren under the bonnet which also gets placed in a more discreet location instead of on the firewall.

this isnt really feasible for a normal installation cause the time involved is extensive but if doing a major wire tuck or rewire its not to hard if your good a planing and have a talent for auto electrics.

having said all this if someone wants to steal your car and they fail there ether going to torch it or damage it in some form so ether way your going to loose.

VeYzZii
26-09-2011, 10:33 PM
^^^ Or, they can just let it ring for the odd 15 seconds popping the bonnet, and snipping the siren/horn wire. Black or Coloured wires make no difference imo, The thicker the gauge wire, the more likely it is the ground/power cables, snip those and the rest is spaghetti.. Not that I would know. :D

But just saying that you should just get an alarm system that you think would be suitable for you, and make sure you get it installed properly. And remote near the head thing, works like a charm.... lol

Remote Immobiliser :D :P

ducbui91
28-09-2011, 12:04 AM
just when i was about to get my alarm system my mate goes n steals my car..
if any1 spots my car lemme know on 0413 422 147
cheers

dc2r-0636
28-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Wtf your mate stole your car??? Fuk him up!

VeYzZii
28-09-2011, 02:13 AM
just when i was about to get my alarm system my mate goes n steals my car..
if any1 spots my car lemme know on 0413 422 147
cheers

Wait what...?

ducbui91
28-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Wtf your mate stole your car??? Fuk him up!

duhh .. he chucked a runner n no1 knows where hes at .. gg. raging harddd lemme know if ne1 spots either a pearl yellow s2k ap2 lip glass roof on stockies lowered [BH00WZ] or a monte carlo [vtc247]
cheers

AusS2000
28-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Can we get subtitles?

9large
28-09-2011, 10:29 PM
(shakes head and clenches fist)

He's disappeared - no one knows where he is.

I'm so angry! (shakes fist again)

Let me know if you notice a pearl yellow s2k, lowered with a front lip, AP2 glass roof, and registration plate "BH00WZ". There's also a Monte Carlo Blue S2000 (registration "VTC247") I'm interested to know about if you see it.

Cheers

AusS2000
28-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks 9er!

I don't know, the youth of today. At least I assume he's young. Might just be intellectually challenged I suppose.

ducbui91
30-09-2011, 01:40 PM
if u wanna be a keyboard warrior then u can do that elsewhere dickheadd

AusS2000
30-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Hmmm, maybe he ain't so young after all.