PDA

View Full Version : choped Spring on Coilovers

hmetro24
16-09-2011, 08:46 PM
I got a car with Tein Super street Damper Shocks. I was checking the car and i saw right rear spring is chopped. Is it possible to use King spring low on the shocks or do i need same springs?
Also the other Rear shocks is like lose not sitting tight like on oem shocks. Is it allright ?
Thanks

hmetro24
17-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Any One ?

curtis265
17-09-2011, 07:14 PM
fuaaaak that sucks man.

i think king springs will work - as long as it's not something that's chopped...

notorious_ahmie
26-09-2011, 01:49 PM
better to get the proper spring as they have diff specs.

nigs
30-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Lol you can use any spring you like. Undo the hats and drop a new spring in. Some people go for stiffer springs as they aren't offered at time of sale.

I'm guessing the spring is "loose" because you don't have dual adjustable perches and these Teins are oldschool. It's just how they sit buddy.
As you go lower on these things, to more the gap (or was it the other way around). Same same if chopped.

Swift springs: http://www.nengun.com/swift-springs/
Pretty popular.

EG30
30-09-2011, 01:01 PM
you'll need coilover springs ie springs of very similar free length eg: 175mm, internal diameter eg: 65mm , tapered ends so it sits on the perche and top hat flush.

Original springs have larger diameters and lengths and no need to be tapered as the stock perches are not flat like the coilover perches.

I bought my Tein 70mm ID monoflex springs from Demon Tweaks UK many times, landed cheaper than what they sell the Kings Springs coilover springs for locally at trade prices! Demon tweaks also sell Eibach and Faulkener coilover springs in 65mm ID.

Chopping springs for coilovers highly dodgy, not to mention the perches will get damaged with non tapered springs now digging into the perches. Your springs now sit loose when car is jacked up cos the free length is shorter than what it's meant to be; the same as when the perches are set too low in others.

Got any pics?

hmetro24
30-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks a lot, I will take pictures when ever i can. I will look for similar springs, as you mentioned.

hisoka
01-10-2011, 08:55 AM
kmac springs in sydney will make springs to whatever height and any other specifications you may have.

GU357
01-10-2011, 01:26 PM
If your coils have spring tension adjustment, you can get a spring that is close in size and adjust the pre tension up or down to make up for the difference.

but if its your rear one, i would try and get both rear springs.

EG30
01-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Thanks a lot, I will take pictures when ever i can. I will look for similar springs, as you mentioned.

If you order from Demon Tweeks UK, bear in mind the Tein springs comes in a box of 2 springs, whereas Eibach and Faulkeners Springs are sold individually.

Tein springs $70 GBP a pair from them + shipping