PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Progress rear sway bar review/impressions

jono_l
17-09-2011, 05:33 PM
As I've never really seen a review of the progress RSB on this site, here's a quick post of my impressions after installing it on my '07 Lux Auto. Got the bar from Heeltoe Auto - the bar itself costs around $250USD shipped. For the record, the rest of my suspension is stock (with 77k km's on it), with the exception of an eBay strut tower bar and Ultra Racing lower arm bar.

Firstly, the Progress rear sway is a 22mm adjustable bar, as opposed to the stock 15mm non-adjustable item. Weight wise it is much heavier too - I suspect the Progress may be a solid bar whilst the stock bar is hollow. I dropped the Progress bar on my thumb whilst getting it into position - it still feels sore 2 hours later. This means that compared to stock, this bar is definitely a lot stiffer, which reduces body roll in the rear end, causing less tendency to understeer.

Installation wise it was a breeze - just follow any of the CL9 or TSX RSB DIY's that you can find on this site or many others. I chose to jack up the car and put it on stands, but opted not to remove the rear wheels. Many Americans have suggested that the sway bar end links are usually seized on, but this was not the case for me, thanks to our sunny weather. Didn't even need to get the WD-40 out! Hardest part was manoeuvring the old bar out from under the car and getting the new bar in - would have been a much easier job had I not been lazy and removed one of the wheels. I found it easiest to remove/reinstall the bar on the passenger side of the exhaust. Torque settings are 28lb.ft on the endlinks and 33lb.ft on the bushing brackets. Took me around 40 minutes in total (taking it slowly) - I consider myself to be a fairly novice backyard mechanic.

I set the bar to the "soft" setting - this is done by attaching the endlinks to the holes nearest to the front of the car. Took it for a spin and my first impressions was "holy f*** the car turns in so much sharper". I personally reckon that the steering now feels a lot more direct than before. Body roll is definitely reduced when cornering, as is understeer. In general, the car feels more balanced when driving in a spirited manner. Whilst I can't yet comment on lift-off oversteer (which would be less pronounced in an auto than a manual due to the smaller degree of weight transfer on throttle lift-off), on the soft setting it is still possible to provoke the car into a slight oversteer in dry weather. Ride comfort is still good - I've been deliberately trying to drive the car over uneven bumps, and I honestly cannot really tell a difference in ride comfort compared to stock. Personally, I'm happy with the "soft" setting on the bar and most probably would not bother with the stiffer one - no need to go any stiffer on a daily driver, especially as I am quite happy with the balance of the car as is.

I'd say that this is one of the best mods that I've done on the car so far - in fact, I wish I'd spent my money on this first. It even looks pretty stock for those of you who are worried about insurance implications (not an issue here as NRMA allow unlimited legal mods). All in all, I'd highly recommended it!

marquee
17-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I just got white line sway bar I have the same feeling. This one road I go on I always go 80kms and end up in the o outside lane now without even trying goes inside lane body roll reduced significantly and feel awesome mine is only 18mm but for the price I couldn't refuse

kryptonite
17-09-2011, 09:02 PM
I also ordered mine from Heeltoe about a month ago now, just waiting the Alutec strut tower to ship together.
Also ordered "Fastline Performance Adjustable Sway Bar POWERLINKS endlinks" cause I think mine are shot.

Good to hear it was easy to install, i'll opt to get my local mechanic to install it though as I'm hopeless with cars.
By the sound of it, I'll go with the soft setting aswell.

Did u have to advise NRMA that this was installed?

jono_l
17-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Heeltoe are great eh! The rear sway along with the bracing will make the car that much more enjoyable to drive.

I called NRMA around a month ago - they advised me that their current policy on mods is that as long as everything is legal and can pass an inspection in your state, they are happy to insure it even if you do not specifically declare the mods. They do however suggest that you consider updating your agreed value (if applicable) to reflect the value of the mods as well, just in case the car gets stolen.

mrgu
04-10-2011, 04:18 PM
just ordered mine from ebay for 242 usd shipped...and cusco lower arm bar from jdm concept..hopefully i will see some result..for my daily drive

mrgu
11-10-2011, 08:44 PM
still waiting....

kryptonite
11-10-2011, 09:22 PM
lol so am I

mrgu
15-10-2011, 03:39 PM
i didn't order any endlinks to go with it....can i still use the oem ones??..for how long..for my daily drive..in good driving mannar

marquee
15-10-2011, 07:15 PM
you dont need end links its just encase they oem ones break

EG
25-10-2011, 03:26 PM
finally went and ordered one and received it last friday, installed it over the weekend :thumbsup: wish i done this mod sooner.

mrgu
26-10-2011, 12:40 AM
is it that good?? who did you order from? how long did u end up waiting? it's been 3weeks now,,usps first priority is the shipping agent..still waiting

mrgu
08-11-2011, 08:11 PM
its been a month now..how come i am still waiting on it..comes from the states via USPS priority mail international.

DEIFIC
09-11-2011, 11:48 PM
its been a month now..how come i am still waiting on it..comes from the states via USPS priority mail international.

check the tracking!

mrgu
10-11-2011, 10:18 PM
the tracking has not been updated yet..
Detailed Results:

Processed Through Sort Facility, October 05, 2011, 9:27 am, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Arrived at Sort Facility, October 05, 2011, 9:27 am, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)
Processed through USPS Sort Facility, October 05, 2011, 1:53 am, GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49512
Acceptance, October 04, 2011, 4:33 pm, GRANT, MI 49327
Electronic Shipping Info Received, October 04, 2011

Fredoops
11-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Dude it's lost.... Time to start claiming loss of shipment IMO

DEIFIC
11-11-2011, 11:39 AM
^yeah definitely.. should look into that, contact the seller.

mrgu
11-11-2011, 03:37 PM
oh no~~~~I can't believe it! the shipping cost is only 50 us dollars though. does it mean it's coming by sea?which takes a bit longer

Fredoops
11-11-2011, 03:44 PM
oh no~~~~I can't believe it! the shipping cost is only 50 us dollars though. does it mean it's coming by sea?which takes a bit longer

Dude it never left the united states. It's lost the the sorting facility in Chicago.

And... USPS don't do sea shipments iirc..

DEIFIC
11-11-2011, 04:17 PM
And... USPS don't do sea shipments iirc..

do you know if any company from the U.S do sea shipments?

Fredoops
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
do you know if any company from the U.S do sea shipments?

Not for express post sorry

DEIFIC
11-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Not for express post sorry

nah express doesnt worry me.

mrgu
11-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Your item was processed through our ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) facility on October 05, 2011 at 9:27 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
this is what's written last

mrgu
22-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Finally arrived and installed at DSC Honda..along with the front lower tie bar..the difference is impressive.

marquee
22-11-2011, 03:37 PM
I may upgrade from 18 to 22mm in the future

mrgu
23-11-2011, 04:55 PM
did u have the whiteline ? the progress RSB 22mm is thicker and heavier!!! 242USD shipped from ebay.

richard_k
23-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Finally arrived and installed at DSC Honda..along with the front lower tie bar..the difference is impressive.

How much was the install?

marquee
23-11-2011, 07:13 PM
did u have the whiteline ? the progress RSB 22mm is thicker and heavier!!! 242USD shipped from ebay.

Yer the whiteline RSB is the one I had, its a very good sway bar but just want something a bit stiffer.

shouldnt be no more then one hours labour its a pretty simple

mrgu
23-11-2011, 08:30 PM

65 for quart of an hour labour including the installation for the cusco front lower tie bar

Fredoops
23-11-2011, 11:29 PM
65 for quart of an hour labour including the installation for the cusco front lower tie bar

You got the type 1 or type 2 cusco tie bar?

mrgu
23-11-2011, 11:53 PM
type I straight on

eurasian
20-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Probably a stupid question but will these fit a 2012 update euro even though they say to 2008? And will a honda dealership that i bought my car at have an issue with fitting this and warranty? Sounds like a great bang for buck update.

Fredoops
20-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Probably a stupid question but will these fit a 2012 update euro even though they say to 2008? And will a honda dealership that i bought my car at have an issue with fitting this and warranty? Sounds like a great bang for buck update.

A. Get te 2009 one, cu2 has their own rsb's
B. just get any mechanic to do it... Honda doesn't have to know..

eurasian
20-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Ah thanks Fred, only just realised that my model is CU2 and not CL9 haha, I thought CU2 was luxury and CL9 was standard :) that explains alot.......

HuyT
21-02-2012, 05:06 PM
I've just got the Progress RSB installed, would the stock endlinks be fine? Or will i need to replace them in the near future?

marquee
21-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Have heard of them breaking but up to you

eurasian
21-02-2012, 09:37 PM
question, is putting one of these on reversable, i read somthing about you having to enlarge holes? is this true? I was thinking that may make putting original back on more difficult.

mrgu
17-03-2012, 08:43 PM
I used oem end links which is quite fine as long as u don't drive ur car like crazy

euro1603
09-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Tossing up between the whiteline Vs the progress, the progress is over $300 shipped and the whiteline is $249 which i can get from autobahn, anyone had experience with the whiteline sway and impressions ? problem with install ?

ChaosMaster
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
As far as I know, all swaybars are essentially the same in terms of installation. Only difference really would be in material quality (although they shouldn't differ too much) and the thickness, which is what's usually used to judget stiffness.

mrgu
10-09-2012, 04:56 PM
whiteline is 18mm. progress 22.. plus its adjustable. i paid 249 for my progress

euro1603
10-09-2012, 11:20 PM
whiteline is 18mm. progress 22.. plus its adjustable. i paid 249 for my progress

where did you get it for $249 ? new or used?

oh just saw you got it a year ago on ebay.. good price

Neilz
11-09-2012, 03:35 PM
with cu2 imo hard setting is best... better cornering

Nuggety Nugget
11-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Will you notice a difference in handling with every day driving? Or more National park/track driving?

Neilz
11-09-2012, 04:19 PM
everyday driving... i usually hit medium/large roundabouts with no traffic at 60km+... 50km when theres traffic :\

Nuggety Nugget
11-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Looks like I'll be getting one then.

Neilz
11-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Looks like I'll be getting one then.

that goes along with treads, lowered kit, proper camber kit and driving like a #BOSS

Fredoops
11-09-2012, 11:24 PM
get sway bars and you'll need to prepare to get endlinks as well else it might start to get a knocking noise once loaded.

Neilz
12-09-2012, 11:06 AM
get sway bars and you'll need to prepare to get endlinks as well else it might start to get a knocking noise once loaded.

i kept mine oem.. was going to get end links but cost $260...cant remember brand but the only one for the cu2 during January

euro1603
20-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Installed my progress rear sway bar today.. WOW.. body roll is massively reduced... you can commit to fast sweeping corners so much more.. do yourself a favor and install one .. even though its not a performance mod and it will add a extra couple of kgs.. but the handling will never be the same.. you can put down power earlier as you exit the corner.. that favorite corner that you take day in day out on your way to work.. it will put a smile on your face : ) i got mine from ebay seller 240ish delivered.. took 2 a bit weeks. pm me if you want the seller.. install was super easy.. my advice take one wheel off..

Fredoops
20-10-2012, 11:36 PM
your endlinks started to knock yet?

HuyT
21-10-2012, 12:48 PM
your endlinks started to knock yet?

Mine haven't

kiat
22-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Sorry, newbie question. Does installing a aftermarket thicker swaybar results in reduced traction when cornering / going through water spots on road? Or does it improves traction? I am confused.

08r3308
22-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I wish whiteline makes a set for cu2 :)

You cl9 guys are lucky

euro1603
22-10-2012, 07:46 PM
No problems with endlinks so far.. I don't wanna be splashing cash on OEM part replacement until they are damaged or broken. I guess it comes down to how the car is driven. will changing the endlinks improve the handling?

euro1603
22-10-2012, 07:54 PM
traction is determined by allot of factors like tire, springs, shocks, rims size ... upgrading the sway bar will reduce the body roll, that soft sofa effect when you turn into a sharp corner....

lovesil
23-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I wish whiteline makes a set for cu2 :)

You cl9 guys are lucky

Progress also made rear sway bar for CU2 (if you are not aware)

alex804
23-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I got the progress sway bar, buddyclub coilover, ingall camber, k&n cai installed last Saturday.
Now i feel my car transformed to a totally different driving style which make me happy :)
The Sway Bar is really worth upgrading as body roll has been dramatically decreased. I can accelerate much earlier in the corner & keep a higher speed in roundabout.

Nuggety Nugget
07-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I finally got to test my car after installing a Progress RSB. I feel there is a bit of difference in handling but not the whole wow experience everyone is describing. I hit a few round abouts and I kind of just thought "how did it handle before?". Maybe I didn't test the limits of the car enough before installing it. Or maybe I just need to drive around a bit more to appreciate the difference. I kind of feels a bit like placebo but it's probably not. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that the back of the car feels a lot stiffer over bumpy roads.

I think I might put in on the hard setting when I get my endlinks. Did you guys have to completely remove an endlink to fit the swaybar? I did but that wasn't mentioned in the installation guide. Also when adjusting the swaybar, would it be easiest just to remove both endlinks and reinstall them to the appropriate holes?

HuyT
09-12-2012, 10:58 PM
I never tried the softer settings, put it on the hard settings straight away so the notice for me was a lot more.

All you need to do is remove the bolt that connects it the RSB, and put it in the other hole. Don't see the point in removing the whole endlink

Nuggety Nugget
10-12-2012, 10:54 AM
I never tried the softer settings, put it on the hard settings straight away so the notice for me was a lot more.

All you need to do is remove the bolt that connects it the RSB, and put it in the other hole. Don't see the point in removing the whole endlink
I'll try that. When I installed the sway bar i found the bolt to be too long to get the sway bar on, maybe I didn't maneuver it properly.