PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed before integra 97 restart...

hondacare
19-09-2011, 07:41 AM
I wanted some advice on what to definately replace or give extra attention to before running my 97 integar vtir which has been laying dormant under a cover for about two years. It was running ok before the break. I want to avoid any problems down the track. Thanks

Super-DA9
26-09-2011, 03:57 PM
dump out the old oil and run new oil through it. you won't really know if anything is wrong until you start it I guess..

vtecing
26-09-2011, 04:07 PM
as said above, oil change before you crank the motor. When a motor is sitting even for a few months, the oil drains down into the sump and so there is nothing to lubricate the head when you start the engine up. The oil will also probably be a bit thick so make sure you let it drain for as long as possible, and you may even need to do another oil change in a few months. You will notice even after about 1000kms the new oil will be black.

Battery will most likely need replacing. Also check your brake and clutch slave and master cylinders. Cars are designed to be driven and when they're not, seals can become dry and crack and begin to leak. Tyres will also probably need to be reinflated.

trism
26-09-2011, 07:01 PM
new oil will be black after a few minutes of running

xtat1k
26-09-2011, 07:22 PM
might be a good idea to do an oil change then in 1,000km do another one just to clean it up.

stiadouc
27-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Spark plugs possibly, change oil and check coolant levels and hoses, as they can perish if not in regular use, worth checking your battery. Fuel lines may be screwed if you didn't drain fuel beforehand.

tiksie
27-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I would personally suggest to put a bottle of one of those "oil flush" additives after putting in fresh oil. drive it around about 30 mins and flush it out again.

Just buy a cheap oil to flush it out with and get a better oil to put in after you flush it.

Flush out the coolant aswell. Replace spark plugs, inspect/clean air filters.. Inspect/clean inside throttle body/intake manifold.

Run it without a thermostat to let coolant flow through before flushing.

Replace your oil filter aswel ofcourse. Check/replace fuel pump/filter. Check/bleed/replace brake fluid. Check/bleed clutch fluid.

Ofcourse a few of these steps are over-kill, but they are simple to do and will avoid headaches in the future.

stiadouc
27-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Exactly. What tiksie said ^^

EG30
27-09-2011, 07:22 PM
If it was my car I would build up oil pressure before the engine fires up.

ie disconnect fuel injector at the connectors and crank engine till engine oil pressure lamp goes out.

What's the condition of your oil prior to storage? If it was decent to start off and oil free from condensation during storage with I wont bother changing it before firing it up.

I would also take rocker cover off to make sure the cams and lobes arent bone dry ( more likely if you had very thin oil in it ), and squirt lots of oil manually with an oil can onto the cams and lobes before even turning the engine over with the starter.

Zilli
12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
only need one thread