PDA

View Full Version : exhaust help

JEETT
23-09-2011, 05:56 AM
hey guys, have just had my s2000 for over 3 months now and really undecided about what exhaust to get. im really liking the amuse r1000 but would like to see and hear it in real life before any purchase goes forward is anyone in melbourne running this exhaust if so would you mind if i came and had a look ? cheers :)

vyets
23-09-2011, 08:00 AM
r1000 isn't the best of choices considering the way cops have been treating us here in melbourne. I would only recommend you run the r1000 if you car is stock everywhere else then maybe they'll leave you alone if not then expect trouble lol.

maybe just get the r1 titan

Engin09
25-09-2011, 08:23 PM
HKS 75mm single

sae
26-09-2011, 07:08 AM
^only if you're buying for sound. Expect a loss in power or no gain at all!

vyets
26-09-2011, 08:15 AM
^only if you're buying for sound. Expect a loss in power or no gain at all!

there's been dyno graphs that show gains, you must be thinking of the hks high silent 60mm dual

sae
26-09-2011, 08:26 AM
^i stand corrected,
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/813260-hks-75mm-exhaust-dynos-inside/

s2kjn
26-09-2011, 02:12 PM
That's why I went for Greddy Tic ;)

dlai5552
26-09-2011, 02:22 PM
+1 with Vyets.
75mm gives gains.
The dual is just gay.

thebob
26-09-2011, 03:05 PM
IMO the spoon setup sounds amazing. Crisp and not all that loud. Fitment is amazing. I'm personally running the js 70rs Ti and up high (4k above) sounds great. Down low it's pretty yuck. Also both exhausts come in under 7kg so you are saving around 20kg.

JEETT
27-09-2011, 12:22 AM
im really just looking to make the car sound tuff not really bothered about gains

s2krazie
27-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Buy 2 muffler tips from auto barn or super cheap auto if you're after sound, worth the costs because it'll sound "tuff".
Expect mad drone when driving, so you might go a bit deaf, but it'll sound good.

thebob
27-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Noise it makes will depend on what type of headers you pick. 4-2-1 and 4-1 will give different sounds also different characteristics. Also depending on running length, pipe size, runner joining, collector types and material used will all give off different sounds. Also add in opinion on "tuff sound" and you now end up with a impossible question.

AusS2000
27-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Buy 2 muffler tips from auto barn or super cheap auto if you're after sound

This post wins the OzHonda prize for being totally the exact opposite of correct. Mind you, on OzHonda it has some stiff competition.

sae
27-09-2011, 01:27 PM
This post wins the OzHonda prize for being totally the exact opposite of correct. Mind you, on OzHonda it has some stiff competition.

All the forums won't be the same without you, always the source of humor [especially the way you mock people never fails to amuse me] lol
At OP, if you're looking for sound then HKS will be your best. They are well renown for the best sounding exhausts.

Goodluck

sae
27-09-2011, 01:32 PM
FYI, i'm currently looking for an exhaust as well. I received a quote from one of the vendors on s2ki, HKS 75mm delivered to your front door for 1175. Note, on evasivemotorsports the exhaust is sold for 675 so if you believe that the 500$ is worth the shipping then go for it.

AusS2000
27-09-2011, 01:38 PM
All the forums won't be the same without you

Hey, I ain't going nowhere, at least until the uberlords decide my vitriol outweighs my occasional useful insight. ;)

s2krazie
27-09-2011, 10:11 PM

Herp, just telling it how it is, my car's got tips only and changed the sound completely.

AusS2000
27-09-2011, 10:30 PM
No need to mention your viruses. ;)

On the S2000 the tips are simply chrome dressings that surround the end if the exhaust. The idea that changing them, or removing them, or adding LEDs to them will make any difference to sound is ridiculous.

s2krazie
27-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Now when you say tips, do you mean literally the tip or the whole muffler + tip?

Red LEDs on your exhaust make you go faster btw.

AusS2000
27-09-2011, 10:39 PM
It was you that said 'tip' and by usual standards of the english language tip means the bit on the end. The S2000 has tips from the factory but they are just cosmetic chrome dressings.

The question should be, when YOU said 'tips' did you mean tips, or did you mean something like 'header, cat, mid section, y pipe, mufflers, oh, and the bit on the ends'.

s2krazie
27-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Sorry, thought that by saying muffler tips would mean the muffler + tip, didn't think it'd be interpreted as the metal hole on the end of the exhaustamathingy.

AusS2000
27-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I think the word we're all looking for is 'ANYWAY...'.

Are you seriously suggesting S2000 owners go to 'supercheap or autobarn' and pick up a couple of 'mufflers AND tips'? How do you suggest they fit them? You know the stock mufflers are welded on.

Seriously, it's best to actually know what you are talking about before giving advice here. Not that you'd know it from half the posts.

s2krazie
27-09-2011, 11:04 PM
You really say it like you havn't read the thread.
Op asks for help on what exhaust to get, people tell him which ones are good, he says he's after the sound, so I just let him know that bang for his buck = mufflers instead of a whole exhaust, just requires a bit of time and elbow grease.
Grinder + welder can't replace your stock muffler with the 2 new ones?

You had a rough day or something? Seem more sarcastic than usual.

AusS2000
27-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Well you said tips, which is BS to start with.

But even to suggest someone pick up a couple of off the shelf muffler and fit them is BS. Firstly, they have to be a fairly specific size to fit. Secondly you'd have to have them fitted by an exhaust shop, who will be pissed off you didn't buy them through him and charge you a heap.

Seriously, once you get through the misuse of the word tip, and the suggestion of off the shelf mufflers, your advice does have some merit. You can have your stock exhaust modified with aftermarket mufflers by an exhaust shop and maybe save a few pennies. But it took a whole page of clarification and ridicule to get here.

And no, this is pretty much my standard level of belligerence.

pablos8
05-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Lets get back on point guys.?

Anyone rocking a spoon exhaust? How are they

AusS2000
05-10-2011, 06:52 PM
There's a Spoon exhaust for sale in Melbourne on AU.s2ki.com.

thebob
05-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Spoon is fantasic. Highly recommend.

pablos8
06-10-2011, 11:38 AM
I was looking for something rather quiet though, heard from some other guys that spoon exhausts are mega loud lol.

Can anyone confirm? :)

Maybe JR exhaust might suit me better purely on loudness?

just dont want some mega loud FOCK OFF exhaust hahaha thinking something really quiet download low but pretty loud up high.

thebob
06-10-2011, 02:02 PM
From my experience spoon is what your after. ^

Night Speed
06-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I was looking for something rather quiet though, heard from some other guys that spoon exhausts are mega loud lol.

Can anyone confirm? :)

Maybe JR exhaust might suit me better purely on loudness?

just dont want some mega loud FOCK OFF exhaust hahaha thinking something really quiet download low but pretty loud up high.

I would go for Mugen, if you dun want to wake up your neighbours. :)

Gizdawg
12-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Been hearing some awesome things about the T1R REM sparrow dual. I just bought mine from the US, should be here next week, pretty excited. Certainly is quiet, but neither is it as loud as some of the invidia's.

Mezza
13-10-2011, 12:43 AM
The Apexi N1 exhaust is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD0SkzD7Ymg

sae
13-10-2011, 06:36 AM
apexi n1 is cheap, but at the same time you grow deaf so up to you. Personally no.

Mezza
13-10-2011, 01:41 PM
apexi n1 is cheap, but at the same time you grow deaf so up to you. Personally no.

That's what silencers are for.

dlai5552
13-10-2011, 01:44 PM
+1 For mugen exhaust. It's soft, but when you give it a hit, you know there's something back there :)

But in terms of power gains, nothing is that great unless you go with 70 mm piping. And with that, probs give you like an extra 2kw LOL

AusS2000
13-10-2011, 01:52 PM
That's what silencers are for.

Not much point in a high flowing exhaust if you're going to put a restrictive silencer in it.

Mezza
13-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Not much point in a high flowing exhaust if you're going to put a restrictive silencer in it.

True, the exhaust is illegal to fit in our nanny state anyway. Such a shame because it sounds terrific.

Been hearing some awesome things about the T1R REM sparrow dual. I just bought mine from the US, should be here next week, pretty excited. Certainly is quiet, but neither is it as loud as some of the invidia's.

May I ask where you bought yours?

(Is this it?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ismmjwmbjd8&feature=related

I'm also looking at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMSIFTYzVys

jooboo
13-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I have a invidia q300 dual, which has quite a nice deep sound and isn't very loud considering its a 70mm...it also comes with ti or stainless tips and you can get it in a single as well for that added weight saving benefit

AusS2000
13-10-2011, 07:55 PM
True, the exhaust is illegal to fit in our nanny state anyway. Such a shame because it sounds terrific.

Illegal is a sick bird. :rolleyes:

It is not illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust. Or at least it may be on paper but it is never enforced.

It is however illegal to have a ridiculously loud exhaust, and so it should be. If you live anywhere near a major road I'm sure you understand why. And it takes a real lack of forethought not to realise just how short a time it is between 'fully sick' and 'sh!t will someone shut that drone up'.

When I was looking for an exhaust I wanted very little restriction, but not too much noise. These days I have an Invidia V3 with a large Lukey mid muffler. It has a nice sound without pissing off my neighbours (any more than I have already) or rendering my hearing null and void.

Mezza
13-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Illegal is a sick bird. :rolleyes:

It is not illegal to have an aftermarket exhaust. Or at least it may be on paper but it is never enforced.

It is however illegal to have a ridiculously loud exhaust, and so it should be. If you live anywhere near a major road I'm sure you understand why. And it takes a real lack of forethought not to realise just how short a time it is between 'fully sick' and 'sh!t will someone shut that drone up'.

When I was looking for an exhaust I wanted very little restriction, but not too much noise. These days I have an Invidia V3 with a large Lukey mid muffler. It has a nice sound without pissing off my neighbours (any more than I have already) or rendering my hearing null and void.

Well I'm guessing the Apexi N1 is above our legal sound limit?

108 decibels at one metre from what I've heard, I'm pretty sure cops in Victoria put the machine 15 cms away, lol

Maybe if I run it with the stock cat it will be quieter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5EcbITDk6o (J's racing 70RR - this thing is crazy)

s2kjn
14-10-2011, 07:38 AM

exactly ...... ;)

Gizdawg
14-10-2011, 09:53 AM

May I ask where you bought yours?

(Is this it?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ismmjwmbjd8&feature=related

I'm also looking at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMSIFTYzVys

Yea mate thats it, evasivemotorsports.

vyets
14-10-2011, 11:39 AM

108 decibels at one metre from what I've heard, I'm pretty sure cops in Victoria put the machine 15 cms away, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5EcbITDk6o (J's racing 70RR - this thing is crazy)

the 70RR isn't that bad, its only loud on cold start but anything is if your not running a cat. This is the exhaust I'm rocking

The n1 is not that loud it just very deep and drones a fair bit. I used to have this exhaust, sold it off

sae
14-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Drone is very desirable isn't it. lol
@ dlai, i love your 2kw gain with this 2kw gain with that in every thread you post in. Hey look, 4 kw gain already. Faster than your car!

jowjeh
17-10-2011, 04:07 PM

http://www.skunk2.com/exhaust-2.php?code=EXS

I'm using this for the S2K, with silencers (They have been dyno proven to not lose any power, so you can run with or without). I run with silencers of course, it's ridiculously loud. Sounds great, but the car isn't turbo'd or supercharged so it sounds faster than it's actually going lol.

Sounds Fantastic though, nice deep tone and not too loud with silencers.

AusS2000
17-10-2011, 04:23 PM
They have been dyno proven to not lose any power
BS.

Anything that you put in the flow of your free flowing exhaust restricts it's flow and hence your performance. You'd have to really want to believe it didn't to be fooled.

But hey, I'm willing to see the proof?

jowjeh
17-10-2011, 08:49 PM
BS.

Anything that you put in the flow of your free flowing exhaust restricts it's flow and hence your performance. You'd have to really want to believe it didn't to be fooled.

But hey, I'm willing to see the proof?

Sorry, you are correct. See the below URL:
http://www.youtube.com.sg/watch?v=cNhEoEEe-bA&feature=related

With the silencers in, it's the same power as the stock exhaust. With them out, it has some gain :)

I misunderstood! Regardless, awesome exhaust, looks great, sounds great and goes well with the FIPK.

It's just too loud without the silencers though... but if you're going to the track by all means take them off :D