PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad swap

rkelsen
23-09-2011, 11:57 AM
Hey guys,

I need to swap out the rear brake pads on my wife's MY06 Accord, because they're worn out.

My mechanical abilities are OK, I guess. I can change the pads in my VY Commo.

Just wondering if there are any tricks to it or special tools needed?

Is it a simple matter of pushing the caliper piston back in? I have a tool which I use on the Commodore for this. It's a fairly simple device which is really a bolt with 2 steel plates on it which get pushed apart as the bolt is tightened. Will this work on the Honda?

From working on friends cars in my younger days, I remember that some Fords had funny calipers which needed a special tool to drive the caliper piston back - they screwed in. You couldn't just push them back in.

Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Rob

mr_vti_s
26-09-2011, 08:44 PM
as far as i know break calipers are all the same, i use the C CLAP to push the hydrolic piston back.

rkelsen
27-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Well I swapped the pads on Saturday.

For future reference, the rear caliper pistons on a MY06 Accord do not push straight back in.

You need to 'screw' them back in. I assume that this is due to the park brake using the caliper as well.

It is easy enough. You just need to twist the piston clockwise using an appropriate tool. I used a long-nose plier held open.

Honda wanted $630 for this job. The parts cost me $43, and it took me 1 hour. Ka-ching! :)

HONTUNE
27-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Jeeez 630 is an expensive quote.. I work at a Honda dealer in Adelaide a a mechanic We charge.. 187 for the pads and 15 mins labor.. Where ever you went is a rip..

rkelsen
27-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Even then I still saved a bit of dosh, eh?

HONTUNE
27-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah.. Done good.. What pads did you use?

rkelsen
27-09-2011, 09:23 PM
I can't remember the brand and I threw the box out. Not a brand that I'd heard of before. It starts with a B, but not Bendix.

Anyhow, the car stops well so it's all good.