PDA

View Full Version : A question on running tempratures

SHWCARCIVIC
15-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Just curious as to running tempratures for TURBO VTECS.

What is considered safe and what is not.

shecomb
15-02-2005, 02:37 PM
My non vtec runs a little hotter than before turbo... Was around 190˚F but is now just under 200˚F. As long as you stay under 98˚C (~210˚F) it will be ok.

BTW, it doesn't change the stock temp gauge, these readings are from an autometer water temp gauge, and the Autronic.

poid
15-02-2005, 07:44 PM
looking at the temp gauge inside the car, its in exactly the same position. The cooling system will compensate quite a bit and keep the car at operating temperature for any setup that isnt high boost

SHWCARCIVIC
16-02-2005, 08:03 AM
My ride has never passed the 90'C, next week a performance radiator is going and a oil cooler as well. Its mainly when caught in traffic that the temp. rises to the 90'C other wise its around 82'C-88'C as is at the moment.

Q. With turbo setups whats a good temp. to turn the car off?

Mainly to prolong the life of the turbo...

Weq
16-02-2005, 11:12 AM
make sure that oil cooler has a thermostat on it. cold oil can be worse then hot!

joyride
16-02-2005, 11:24 AM
to prolong the life of the turbo, dont give it a trashing if you know you're gona be switching off the engine within 5 mins.
ppl argue that turbo timers are good/bad. just be safe and let the engine run for 30 seconds before switching off the engine.

poid
16-02-2005, 11:36 AM
as joyride said, just drive easy in the last few minutes and give it 30 seconds or so after 'normal' driving. If you've given it a real thrashing then perhaps drive around taking it easy for a few minutes more and idle it a little longer.

If the turbo is water cooled then its less of an issue, taking it easy in the last few minutes and then giving it a few seconds idle is plenty (the coolant flowing through helps make sure the oil is below the temperature it cokes it)

SHWCARCIVIC
16-02-2005, 11:54 AM
As joyride said, I usually take it easy when i know im going to be turning of the car, different story when i take it out with the intention to give it a bit. My engine is heavily modified so i wanted a ruff idea to satisfy my curiosity and to give me a little piece of mind that the temp. she runs is fine. Thanks

bumography
16-02-2005, 01:06 PM
hi when i had a mechanical temp guage in teh car
the car would run optimum of 70c ALL day.. except at teh traffic lights, the temp wuold go up to 90c then drop to 70 in like 5 secnods..i shit u not (as the fans turned on)
get a mechanical temp guage. its so fascinating just looking at it move up and down :D
also if u laeve ur car in neutral while cruising the temp will go slowly down again,

after i had this i never trusted my dash one :\
time to get another temp guage

shecomb
16-02-2005, 01:07 PM
What temp does it run at now? If its under 90'C then you will have no problem

SHWCARCIVIC
16-02-2005, 01:09 PM
I get all the info from my EMS Qi4 hand controller, it gives me temp., revs, fuel and so on, very handy.

CHU85
21-02-2005, 05:08 PM
With my shitty accord radiator, most of the time it stays on 90C even when i'm running 21psi. The other night it was on about 92C and thats the max i've ever seen it.
Your car should be right.

WPN.22R
23-02-2005, 09:50 PM
max ive seen mine is 94c on a 30c day! thats with one fan working too! bonnet vents are good.. should see how much heat rises when im in traffic, and lets heaps of air flow into the engine bay (my own design:D )

9krpm
24-02-2005, 07:22 AM
For my turbocharged S2k running around 15psi. I did some mild boost, but mainly light city driving. Air temp is around 37-39C yesterday....bloody hot :(..with air cond on:

Engine bay air temperature 80 C
Coolant temperature (measured next to cylinder) around 95 C

SHWCARCIVIC
02-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Just had the new performance twin core radiator put in on the weekend and beleive it or not the civic runs hotter than before, approx. 8-10c more so know she runs at 90-92c which is ok instead of the previous 83-85c.
Spoke to a few people regarding this and one interesting piece of information regarding the pressure in the radiator may be a contributing factor to the temp rise. If the the pressure is'nt correct, for every bar of pressure below correct amount (approx. 16 bars) the temp will rise by about 3c (please correct me if im wrong anyone).
So upon hearing about this I inspected my radiator cap and the rubber seal is'nt 100%, so replacing it may solve my problem. Lets hope its as simple as that, i'll let you know how i go.