PDA

View Full Version : Battery Problem - Questions

notJDM
25-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Hey guys, I own an EG5 though I would like to share with you my battery experiences and some questions.

I think it's time for a new battery though can't buy a new one just yet. The first time my battery played up, I couldn't start my car. So I jump started with jumper leads, which got it working for awhile until. Second time round, tried to start my car but the car would not start and this time it didn't even make the cranking noise, so I assumed the worse but turned out to be just the battery again (jump started with jumper leads again), got it running for a week or so. Today, car did the same thing, car couldn't start and would not crank again. - Just wondering do I need a new battery or am I just jump starting it not properly?

My method - I hook the jumper leads on both cars, while the other car is running I wait for around 30 seconds then I go try to start up my car, once my car starts I will rev the other car for 30 seconds here and there. After that I just leave both cars running for 1-2 minutes then disconnect the jumper leads. - I would like to know if I'm jump starting correctly? If not, what would be the correct way to do so, so my battery can be charged properly?

Thanks, hope you can help!

flipfire
25-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Yes you are jump starting it fine, your battery just cant hold enough amps to crank the motor. Buy a new one.

NeedVtec
26-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Check battery cables!
Exact same thing happened to me, ended up buying new battery.

notJDM
26-09-2011, 05:21 AM
If yall say my jump starting with jumper leads method is correct, I would of thought that the battery would atleast be charged/working for longer. But it seems to be going flat way faster than expected.

Another question, since this is like the 3rd time the battery went flat, will it still work if I jumpstart it again with jumper leads? If so, how long will it be able to run for till the battery goes flat again? - hence I'm asking all of this because I thought that my jumpstarting with jumper leads method was wrong, since the battery is going flat faster than expected whilst charged.

mocchi
26-09-2011, 07:37 AM
you jump start, to start the car not to recharge the battery.
normal batteries (non-agm) usually doesnt hold proper charge after going flat. also check water level.
so just get a good second hand ones from wreckers ($20-$30). they usually have multimeter for you to test it first.
if your battery goes flat again, probably your alternator doesnt charge.

trism
26-09-2011, 08:53 AM
With a regular style lead acid battery, once it gets totally discharged once, it begins a downwards spiral of never lasting as long.

However. With the car running, use a multimeter and test the voltage across the battery terminals. It should be reading between 13.8 and 14.4 volts. This means its charging. If it reads less than this, your alternator is not charging properly.

notJDM
26-09-2011, 01:37 PM
With a regular style lead acid battery, once it gets totally discharged once, it begins a downwards spiral of never lasting as long.

However. With the car running, use a multimeter and test the voltage across the battery terminals. It should be reading between 13.8 and 14.4 volts. This means its charging. If it reads less than this, your alternator is not charging properly.

Wierd thing just happend, last night the car couldn't start and it wouldn't crank, but just tried it this morning and the car turned on normally. Does this mean last night the battery wasn't charging the alternator, and till now it had slowly charged the alternator? - what should I do in this case etc.?

Also, If the alternator is not charging properly, what does this mean?

flipfire
26-09-2011, 02:22 PM
You got it wrong way around alternator charges the battery.

The battery is pretty much just used to start the engine. Once the car is started all the electronics gets its juice from the alternator.

notJDM
26-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Ok, can anyone answer my question that I asked?

Another thing, if the water levels are low on the battery, what does this mean? What does the water do?

flipfire
26-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Slow down turbo, you asked like 100 questions.

If your alternator is faulty then you can recondition them by changing the brushes inside or just replacing the whole unit.

But since you say the water on the battery is low, its highly likely the battery. The water acts as an electrolyte, so low water = low capacity. You can try topping it up with distilled water but i suggest just replacing it.

jeremydawg
26-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Lol

Get yourself a multimetre and test it. Its that simple!

how long will it be able to run for till the battery goes flat again?

3days 12hrs 27mins 4secs 42msecs

stiadouc
27-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Same issue with mine, at first I thought it was a faulty battery, got it tested and it wasn't, then thought it was the alternator, then it wasn't that either. Found out it was a power leak from my central locking. 'if symptoms persist, see your local auto electrician' but check your wires etc

notJDM
30-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Anyways, what battery should I get for my car? How much would it cost?

jeremydawg
30-09-2011, 08:01 AM
One that works preferably. would cost you around 2x Queen Elizabeths

Bludger
30-09-2011, 12:03 PM
make sure your battery terminals are on tight.

notJDM
30-09-2011, 07:34 PM
For serious helpers only,

For an Honda Civic EG5 (SI) - what CCA and specs should I get for a new battery? How much am I looking to pay for a new battery, and where is a good bang for buck place to buy from?

Another question, will I be able to find a good working battery at the wreckers? How much are the batteries from the wreckers usually?

Bludger
30-09-2011, 10:13 PM
For serious helpers only,

For an Honda Civic EG5 (SI) - what CCA and specs should I get for a new battery? How much am I looking to pay for a new battery, and where is a good bang for buck place to buy from?

Another question, will I be able to find a good working battery at the wreckers? How much are the batteries from the wreckers usually?Decent places that sell batteries will have a catalogue that specifies what battery you need, from budget to performance.
Look for one that has as least a 24 month warranty.

jeremydawg
01-10-2011, 12:39 AM
yeah you need serious help finding out how much a battery costs

flashcvc
01-10-2011, 01:11 AM
I bought a battery last month its a century high performance (NS60 i think) for my eg4... cost me $140 at autobarn.... be aware though because i had really old batteries and changed to a recent one which had different heights altogether... due to that i had to change my battery brackets aswell set me back 10-20 bux