PDA

View Full Version : Another turbocharged S2000 close to completion

9krpm
15-02-2005, 03:06 PM
:honda: :wave:
Here are a few pictures of my toy with
2.34 and 2.4 times the stock power at 14 and 16psi respectively.
My tuner refused to wind up the boost and said I am crazy when I asked for more boost :(
Car is currently only on 14 psi.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/9krpm/S2000%20turbo/DSC00473.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/9krpm/S2000%20turbo/manifold3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/9krpm/S2000%20turbo/manifold8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/9krpm/S2000%20turbo/frontintercooler.jpg

Thanks to
De Nguyen and the boys @ D&D Motor
Keir Wilson, Peter Hall and the boys @ Willall Racing
Gordon@ AAA Exhaust

and my tuner, Martin Donnon

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/9krpm/S2000%20turbo/DSC00480.jpg

Kawasaki
15-02-2005, 03:09 PM
what kinda power you getting atw? very nice!

simpdogg
15-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Awesome what kind of set up are you running, be interested in knowing your final power out atw also

one more chance
15-02-2005, 04:27 PM
looks like a TD07 turbo?
please give more specs of set-up

typeRr
15-02-2005, 05:06 PM
nice car man!!!!!!!!!!!1 how many kw at wheel do you get???

makaland
15-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Quote "My tuner refused to wind up the boost and said I am crazy when I asked for more boost "

hahaha poor guy, wht does it take to get more boost nowadays. damm nice ride. looks clean!

EuroAccord13
15-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Is that Turbo a TD05/TD06 Hybrid by any chance?

BTW... I'm DROOOOOOOLING....At Your Car

redliner
15-02-2005, 05:41 PM
freaken nice ride... with POWER

panda[cRx]
15-02-2005, 05:54 PM
that martin dude writes for HPI doesnt he?

9krpm
15-02-2005, 06:17 PM
Quote "My tuner refused to wind up the boost and said I am crazy when I asked for more boost "

hahaha poor guy, wht does it take to get more boost nowadays. damm nice ride. looks clean!

hehehe thanks mate...it does sound like a little kid asking for a candy doesn't it :)

It's quite easy to turn up the boost actually.
I am using an aem ems computer with a gm boost solenoid
increasing boost is just a matter of hooking up a laptop to the car, set the WG map to a higher boost, do a few runs and download the log, check for knocks and AF, then make appropriate changes if necessary.

It's all fairly easy and I can do it myself....... but it's something that I don't do without my tuner. It's just a mutual trust thing. I don't want to stuff up his work and he doesn't want to stuff up my engine. I wish you guys should see the way this chap tune car. He usually is a very jovial person but his concentration is exceptional when he tunes. He paid attention to every minute changes in his surrounding.....yes he's an author in a number of magazines......bloody good tuner if you ask me though :)

You guys are so good and almost got it right with the turbo.
It's a T67 turbo. We are still experimenting with the turbo selection. I am only at 50% efficiency with this turbo, so I may use a smaller turbo for more midrange....well may be. The car puts out 125wkw stock. It's 29xrwkw with 14psi and 302rwkw at 16.

There are a few more things that need to be done to the car (ignition cap, water/methanol injection, diff, gearbox etc etc) but at least it's drivable atm. I took it up the hill over the weekend and wished that I have a different electronic boost controller so I can turn the boost down. Coming out of corner at 14 psi is too dangerous in 2nd gear.....especially in touge mode :D

I will post more pics when it's completed.

Civic Type R
15-02-2005, 06:32 PM
fark T67 !

We wound one of those puppies on a SR20 180 sx last year and got over 550HP @wheels.

GO Honda. I want to see a real engine beat that. Then i will rest in comfort :)

ECU-MAN
15-02-2005, 07:32 PM
thats nuts man,

nice ride

9krpm
15-02-2005, 09:22 PM
fark T67 !

We wound one of those puppies on a SR20 180 sx last year and got over 550HP @wheels.

GO Honda. I want to see a real engine beat that. Then i will rest in comfort :)

the engine is built with stuffs rated at 800hp
I think 550hp is only an overboost away but I don't think I will subject my engine (or my bank account for that matter) to that amount of boost.

This is my daily drive car. It's just too risky and I can't use all of that power on the street anyway. 400-450whp is quite fun and dangerous up on the hill. 550 whp will be slow, dangerous and attract too much attention as the rear wheels won't hook up. Sorry to disappoint you.

wynode
15-02-2005, 09:36 PM
the engine is built with stuffs rated at 800hp
I think 550hp is only an overboost away but I don't think I will subject my engine (or my bank account for that matter) to that amount of boost.

This is my daily drive car. It's just too risky and I can't use all of that power on the street anyway. 400-450whp is quite fun and dangerous up on the hill. 550 whp will be slow, dangerous and attract too much attention as the rear wheels won't hook up. Sorry to disappoint you.
Sounds good, mature and makes sense.

Now its a whole new learning curve on how to control all that power.........best of luck, the car looks great!

.::F[L]Y::.
15-02-2005, 11:00 PM
nice s2k....like the rims on the car looks good dude

andreqo
15-02-2005, 11:21 PM
have u run 1/4 mile?

9krpm
16-02-2005, 06:21 AM
no 1/4 mile yet
I am still waiting for a diff upgrade. My friend has been persuading me into drag racing at the Drag National with him :P for some fun. I may go and take it easy off the line if it's not too late to join....I am still worried about the diff though.

9krpm
16-02-2005, 09:04 AM
BTW what's the best, in current market, for a plumback BOV for high boost?

I am getting some boost leak with my bov from both dodgy workshop installation and a bov that need servicing.

Weq
16-02-2005, 11:06 AM
BTW what's the best, in current market, for a plumback BOV for high boost?

I am getting some boost leak with my bov from both dodgy workshop installation and a bov that need servicing.

Somthing for around 16psi, the go fast bits hybrid will do u fine. they use em on rex's all the time. If u want something more jap, sard make good race bov's.. As for plumbback, u really dont need one on our map sensored car, and if u think it will stop u from getting defected/attention from the cops - my mate was pulled over the other night for having a BOV - but he DOESNT have anything installed, not even a plumbback!! (it was compressor surge)

Re diff: yes dude, be careful ;) I was at a dyno day when a s2000 was tuned up from 180kw to 280kw (18psi) and on the first run off the dyno, a shower of diff fluid greeted the road! He was expecting it though and had a new item waiting to replace it ;)

Have u got a boost graph for the dyno run? how does boost build on that little monter..? Have u considered a dual ball bearing garret item (GT?)

seihoa
16-02-2005, 01:39 PM
turbo s2k nice =] i like

Vamos
16-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Mate thats an awesome car. Definately one to look out for on the roads hehehe

EG_2_TEG
16-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Weq, u know how much s2k diffs are?

scared my brother's gonna blow his up soon :p

and 9krpm, what have ya done in terms of internals in the F20C

cheers

9krpm
16-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Somthing for around 16psi, the go fast bits hybrid will do u fine. they use em on rex's all the time. If u want something more jap, sard make good race bov's.. As for plumbback, u really dont need one on our map sensored car, and if u think it will stop u from getting defected/attention from the cops - my mate was pulled over the other night for having a BOV - but he DOESNT have anything installed, not even a plumbback!! (it was compressor surge)

Re diff: yes dude, be careful ;) I was at a dyno day when a s2000 was tuned up from 180kw to 280kw (18psi) and on the first run off the dyno, a shower of diff fluid greeted the road! He was expecting it though and had a new item waiting to replace it ;)

Have u got a boost graph for the dyno run? how does boost build on that little monter..? Have u considered a dual ball bearing garret item (GT?)

I like plumbback valve as it will be easier to get an engineer certificate later. I have a GFB Stealth FX. I wasn't going to mention the name because I don't want to attract any bad attention for them. Their service department is great. They offered to recondition my bov free of charge, just freight charge only. It's the fitment that's below my standard; from the workshop that made my manifold, . I will try a skyline gtr bov this weekend.

Elias, the owner of the turbo s2k in syd, warned me about the diff. We were really careful on the dyno and strapped the car. My diff has also been upgraded to 4.44:1 so it's a little bit better than the 4.1:1 stock diff. My car hit full boost at around 4-4.5krpm and vtec at 6krpm. Elias's car hitted boost and vtect at 6krpm all at once. Probably a deadly combination for the diff. Elias has made a few changes recently which should make his car real fast.
BTW was Elias' car strapped to the dyno at all when the diff terminated?

I deliberately chose this turbo rather than the cheaper BB Garrett for it's linear power delivery rather than the on/off behaviour of the BB. The sudden on/off power will break traction or the something in the drive train. There is no point having power if you can't deliver it to the ground :). This turbo is not that laggy for it's size. I get 0.8 bar of boost at 3.5krpm on the dyno. It's a bit later than that now with the boost leak but hopefully this will be rectified on the weekend.

Sorry, I haven't got any dyno sheet yet as the car is not yet finalised. I will post a dyno printout later.....hopefully with a time slip next weekend. I hope I can drive the car home with mid 12 sec.

9krpm
16-02-2005, 08:06 PM
EG_2_TEG, the f20c had the usual upgrades, blue printed and balanced
valves, spring, retainers, pistons, rods, sleeves plus a few other smaller things

hondaboy
16-02-2005, 10:45 PM
s2k's look so norti with a FMIC

EG_2_TEG
16-02-2005, 10:53 PM
cheers for the info

just another question, how to u upgrade a diff?
is the 4.1:1 and 4.4:1 like a final gear ratio or something

i've heard u can replace the s2k diff with one from a skyline, but u have to modify the drivetrain :s

cheers

Weq
16-02-2005, 11:12 PM
I like plumbback valve as it will be easier to get an engineer certificate later. I have a GFB Stealth FX. I wasn't going to mention the name because I don't want to attract any bad attention for them. Their service department is great. They offered to recondition my bov free of charge, just freight charge only. It's the fitment that's below my standard; from the workshop that made my manifold, . I will try a skyline gtr bov this weekend.

Elias, the owner of the turbo s2k in syd, warned me about the diff. We were really careful on the dyno and strapped the car. My diff has also been upgraded to 4.44:1 so it's a little bit better than the 4.1:1 stock diff. My car hit full boost at around 4-4.5krpm and vtec at 6krpm. Elias's car hitted boost and vtect at 6krpm all at once. Probably a deadly combination for the diff. Elias has made a few changes recently which should make his car real fast.
BTW was Elias' car strapped to the dyno at all when the diff terminated?

I deliberately chose this turbo rather than the cheaper BB Garrett for it's linear power delivery rather than the on/off behaviour of the BB. The sudden on/off power will break traction or the something in the drive train. There is no point having power if you can't deliver it to the ground :). This turbo is not that laggy for it's size. I get 0.8 bar of boost at 3.5krpm on the dyno. It's a bit later than that now with the boost leak but hopefully this will be rectified on the weekend.

Sorry, I haven't got any dyno sheet yet as the car is not yet finalised. I will post a dyno printout later.....hopefully with a time slip next weekend. I hope I can drive the car home with mid 12 sec.

He blew it off the dyno. on the road, as soon as he hit boost/vtec in 1st gear.

hondaboy
16-02-2005, 11:32 PM
i know this sounds bad.. but i sort of cant wait til my diff blows, gives me a reason to finally upgrade it :/

9krpm
17-02-2005, 07:19 AM
cheers for the info

just another question, how to u upgrade a diff?
is the 4.1:1 and 4.4:1 like a final gear ratio or something

i've heard u can replace the s2k diff with one from a skyline, but u have to modify the drivetrain :s

cheers

4.4:1 ratio conversion was only a gear and pinion change. The change in ratio might have reduce the load on the "very weak aluminium" diff.
I think skyline will be my next option depending on the cost.

Bugger, Adelaide International Raceway website stated that they won't allow convertible without a roll bar to enter the Drag National. Does anyone know if the roll hoops on the s2k is acceptable? Will give them a call during business hour today....I hope that they do.

e_s2k
17-02-2005, 11:23 AM
what's the cost of a setup like yours?
You don't have to answer if you don't want to =)
assuming well over 10k?

9krpm
17-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Unfortunately everything is custom when it comes to the s2k as the market is not that big yet for RHD especially. So it's more than 10k :P

9krpm
19-02-2005, 08:13 AM
Just a head up.
Great service from GFB.
I sent them the BOV on Wednesday afternoon and got it back yesterday.

Disciple
01-03-2005, 11:27 PM
man, i think i fell in love! gorgeous what more can u want rwd vtec turbo! Oh My..

bumpy1
02-03-2005, 12:36 AM
9krpm... heard your car was at the drags on sunday at AIR? how did you go?

poweredbyhonda
02-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Will this car now take crown of Australia's Fastest Honda? It better!

Kawasaki
02-03-2005, 07:09 AM

Nope that one will belong to Online for a while to come :D

9krpm
02-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Easy with the pressure guys :D..... this is my everyday car and I am an amateur with drag racing.

The car had a few problems with the turbo bolts before the drag. Turbo-manifold bolts got loosened the day before. Temporarily fixed. Then when I got to the drag the 3 bolts holding the dump pipe felled off completely :( I had to spend most of the morning and noon to find 3 bolts and reattached the dp.

I got 2 runs around 1400. I babied the diff on both runs. The 2nd run, which I missed 3rd gear, was 13.3 with 60' of 2.7 and trap of 117mph.

The last run was in the afternoon. I deflated the tyre pressure and raiseed launch rpm to 3700 rpm. I did a half decent burn out.....but still a lot more than I ever done in this car before. The clutch bited too quick on release.......LOUD BANG!

I thought the diff housing cracked, but my friend told me today that one of the axle broke. I am in the process of getting a new r200 diff.

I think I got a long way to learn to get to what online got.......please no flaming.....<firesuitisbackon>...I don't think my car will ever get there to be honest. I'll be happy if I ever get low 11 in this car.

Herer are some photo from the weekend, courtesy of Max
http://community.webshots.com/album/282757254VhssUJ/2

GReY_CVC
03-03-2005, 09:59 AM
im jus wondering how much did it cost u for turbocharging ur s2k?... like all up???... if u dun mind coz dats one beasty s2k...

9krpm
03-03-2005, 11:55 AM
I think the cost of mod (s) and my time on the car is getting close to the cost of a second hand s2k. However you won't have much fun if you keep looking at the bank balance.

There is a price for everything but it's worth it so far.....just as long as the turbo doesn't fall off :P

Kawasaki
03-03-2005, 12:03 PM
Props to you 9krpm! I don't see why you would get flamed :D

Once you fix those problems you'll be running some awesome times

wynode
04-03-2005, 09:52 AM
I think the cost of mod (s) and my time on the car is getting close to the cost of a second hand s2k. However you won't have much fun if you keep looking at the bank balance.

There is a price for everything but it's worth it so far.....just as long as the turbo doesn't fall off :P
Yup......A car isn't an investment.........its just a very expensive hobby!

9krpm
05-03-2005, 08:18 AM
wynode, we all have a bad habbit or two :P

Creative
05-03-2005, 03:08 PM
Yer the 2nd one pays for the 1st one ;)
ehehehhe

Nice car 9Krpm...VERY nice car :thumbup:

McChook
05-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Not my style, but a nice group of people behind the car - Willall Racing..... nice

VTi-RT
13-03-2005, 11:43 AM

Online's car is a custom built drag machine not used on the road... I'm sure that once 9krpm sorts out the little problems and gets in some more practice at the strip, he'll have one of the fastest street hondas.

Good luck 9krpm :) .

9krpm
14-03-2005, 01:24 PM
thanks for the compliments and the peer pressures guys
things are a little bit slow atm because of the clipsal this weekend

I'll keep you guys post of the progress and more pics soon when I have a little bit more time.

spiller
14-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Im at the clipsal this saturday, i would love to see your s2000 do a couple of hot laps in between races 9krm :P

9krpm
15-03-2005, 07:38 AM
hahahah I wish spiller.....that will be the day when the s2000 cost 2-300 grands; most pple would prob not know what car it is atm anyway.

spiller
15-03-2005, 09:12 PM
mmm ah well we can dream......

hopefully there will be an S2000 screaming aroun the track n one of those GT production races anyway......there usually is!

9krpm
23-03-2005, 08:07 PM
it's nice to see the s2k in those gtp
however it's boring because there are so many rediculous restrictions with this class. The s2k could only rev to 7krpm, the r32 gtr could only run lower boost than standard ?7psi etc etc. No wonder why the european cars always dominate this class :(

TypeG
01-04-2005, 05:24 PM
is yr turbo setup custom made? how much it set u back?

9krpm
03-04-2005, 12:03 AM
typeG, yes it's all custom designed by myself with the help of a few mates/workshops
I had a few helping hands but you can prob get something similar for around 10grands. To get the same setup as mine you will need to rebuild the engine because the stock can't handle this much boost/power.

toE
03-04-2005, 01:16 AM
What sort of clutch you using atm?
And you're in Adelaide I take it?

9krpm
04-04-2005, 10:47 AM
daikin/exedy hypersingle clutch
I wish there is a twin plate for the s2k. It would be a lot easier to drive.

Macros
09-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Welds look good.

chu88z
17-04-2005, 06:27 PM
thats a dam nice s2k 9krpm. simple and sWeeeeEEEeEEEeet :P

huytek
17-04-2005, 08:06 PM
geez
talk abt boosted
very very nice ride
the word jealous is an understatement

[DC2]
21-04-2005, 07:59 PM
thats a powerful car

TODA AU
26-04-2005, 05:26 AM
daikin/exedy hypersingle clutch
I wish there is a twin plate for the s2k. It would be a lot easier to drive.

There is... ;)
Do you want one? :)

9krpm
26-04-2005, 11:25 AM
thank toda
you got pm

9krpm
28-04-2005, 09:05 AM
thanks again toda
TS2B holds up to 480hp.

Hmmmm let me think about it. Will let you know.
Is there any other twin plates with higher rating?

DJhonda
26-05-2005, 09:27 AM
looks sweet

saxman
26-05-2005, 09:36 AM
absolutely beautiful

9krpm
12-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys,
the car is almost done and will hit the drag strip very shortly.

Gearbox, twin plate clutch, nissan diff and very strong CV + axles are almost done thanks to a local engineering workshop and willall racing. The car just need some more time to tidy up a few things. Let's hope that I can get my 11 sec by then.

mr_mojo02
22-06-2005, 01:51 AM
good luck dude.. id luv to fang that round a track for a day :D

9krpm
22-06-2005, 07:52 PM
that's on the card too :)
Once I get my 11 or 10 secs run, I will get a set of bigger brake and hit the track again. It's what this car is designed for by honda.

9krpm
26-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Here are a few pics of the diff installation
Thanks to www.kandamotorsport.com.au

1. Rear mouting bracket for the diff
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/9krpm/Diff%20conversion/almostthere.jpg

2. Front mounting bracket
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/9krpm/Diff%20conversion/newdiff.jpg

CTR Coupe
26-07-2005, 06:16 PM
Good old Craig and Dale koennecke. They do some dam fine work. They have been family friends for years and years.

9krpm
26-07-2005, 09:17 PM
^ small world ;)
yes they are two of the most responsible and knowlegeable pple in the business.

If anyone is interested in a nissan diff conversion, drop me a pm or email craig@ K&A

chan
27-07-2005, 09:09 PM
well done 9krpm. have u done any suspension mod?

91'lude
27-07-2005, 09:59 PM
She's looking hotness, got some overall pics?

I see u on s2ki regularly... Nice to see a aussi on top of the game.

9krpm
28-07-2005, 07:55 AM
well done 9krpm. have u done any suspension mod?
yes I have but that's because I found the stock coilover too stiff for daily drive in my neigbourhood. Otherwise the stock coilover is fairly good.

91lude, the car has been in/out of workshop for too long with these projects. I can't wait to get everything done and give the key to my spray painter for a cut and polish. I will post an overall pictures then. Don't expect any visual feast though, the car will just look like any other s2k on the street. It's a real sleeper and that's the way I like it ;)

If anyone is free next saturday, come down to AIR. Willall racing organised a test and tune day there. I will do my best to be there.

Felix
03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
What u do on the quarter mile?

9krpm
15-08-2005, 12:39 PM
^nothing impressive yet
still at test and tune stage

02ZZI
15-08-2005, 01:16 PM
do you have any dyno graphs? whats the curve like with vtec?

pgclee
15-08-2005, 06:23 PM
300kw atw at 14psi...go 21psi...hehe..or more...i want to see another Honda reaching 1.8Bar - 2.0Bar...scary...very scary...very very scary...

HondaLva
19-08-2005, 12:59 PM
really impressive guys...i know what i want for my next car...lol....keep us up to date!!

9krpm
04-09-2005, 07:51 AM
The project is almost completed.
I just came back from probably my last tuning session.
At 19psi on the boost controller, 18psi on the dyno and defi boost gauge, the car made
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTA1Mzg5NjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

this is from a 2.0 L engine :D
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTA1Mzg5NzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

I don't think I will wind up the boost much further unless I find good traction on a good stretch of road.

[stealth]
04-09-2005, 09:33 AM
lol why would u need to when ur pulling over 300kw... :p

ProECU
04-09-2005, 10:17 AM
awesome result...

Wkind of spark plugs are you using, and what gap?..Interesting dip at just after 160kph.

Do you have an a/f handy?

saxman
04-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Interesting dip at just after 160kph.
looks a bit like VTEC is engaging a bit too low

91'lude
04-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Thats awesome power man, cant wait to see some results on the strip.

Do you have any better overall shots for the car?

fly_vti
04-09-2005, 07:38 PM
why did you remove the car id and description from the dyno graph? is that your graph or someone elses :thumbdwn:

9krpm
04-09-2005, 07:57 PM
fly_vti, because this is a public forum and I don't want to post trackable data/details. Wouldn't you?

ProECU, the dip is a result of vtec transition at 6krpm. The low cam want so much fuel before the transition and the vtec cam just want all of that fuel disappear asap. The area after vtec transition is rich and noisy on knock sensors log. Interesting car to tune btw.

IMHO from the dyno printour, if vtec is lowered the midrange would gain around 10-20rwkw but my tuner did not want to do it because we tried it before with a SC and we lost power.

I am using IK27 at stock gaps with aem c2di twin sparks.

9krpm
04-09-2005, 07:59 PM
91'lude, sorry no exterior shots yet.
I can't wait to finish everything and get the car cut + polished before any photoshoot.

91'lude
04-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Thats understandable, after being in and out of the workshop so much, they do tend to get dirty.

ProECU
04-09-2005, 08:38 PM
ProECU, the dip is a result of vtec transition at 6krpm. The low cam want so much fuel before the transition and the vtec cam just want all of that fuel disappear asap. The area after vtec transition is rich and noisy on knock sensors log. Interesting car to tune btw.

Interesting you say the fueling requirements are different...

What engine management are you using? The factory ECU not only interpolates between load/rpm points, it also interpolates between the low & high speed tables upon vtec transition.

If your engine management doesnt have dual tables, then this could contribute to what you've described.

In any event, I would try removing fuel before vtec and add it right after to even out the transition.

None the less, fantastic result.

saxman
04-09-2005, 10:27 PM
In any event, I would try removing fuel before vtec and add it right after to even out the transition.
Iwould suggest doing the same, only with timing as well

Integra
05-09-2005, 04:17 AM
Bloody Unreal!!

nice results you got there, can't wait to see more pics :)

9krpm
05-09-2005, 07:41 AM
thanks proecu and saxman, we tried to take fuel out but the engine did not like it at all. It's actually asking for fuel before vtec and less fuel after vtec, a bit more fuel after that and then less fuel after around 7 or 8krpm. Interesting engine to tune. I will post a fuel map graph when I have time tonight.

I dropped the knock control volt table down a tad and knock control is kicking in this morning at around 6600 rpm even with avgas. We tuned this car with very conservative ignition timing and fuel so it's more than likely that it's from back ground noise but I think the car is going back on dyno soon.

Proecu, I am using the aem ems. The aem ems has a vtec fuel trim function. I will do a bit more home work on this. Where about do you tune normally? Would you mind dropping down to Willall racing for some coffee/beer while we retune the car next time?

9krpm
05-09-2005, 08:03 AM
btw I got 12.9 @ 119mph yesterday at the track with 17psi
it's either too much bog or wheel spin

I had 4 runs and then the intercooler hose blew out on me :(
I will need a lot more practice on launching and will be back again for my 11.

ProECU
05-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Proecu, Where about do you tune normally? Would you mind dropping down to Willall racing for some coffee/beer while we retune the car next time?

Mate

i'm in Adelaide, but i'd be interested in coming down to take a look.

Shoot me an email on the below address, we'll take it offline

Cheers
Ev

saxman
05-09-2005, 10:49 AM
have you tried doing a dyno run on just the low cam and just the high cam and overlaying to find the optimal vtec point? I do all my tuning on obd1 hondas, but that looks to me exactly like vtec being set too low

9krpm
05-09-2005, 11:28 AM
saxman, no we have not try that method. We left the vtec at 6krpm.

I still think the dip is caused by AF ratio dropping into the 11 or lower. We will try the fuel trim function for vtec. It will be more effective and should hopefully clear this up.

I'll try to talk the tuner about your method, overlaying the 2 cams dyno runs, to find the effective vtec transition next time. Hopefully he will give it a try. BTW how low do you set the vtec cam when you do the "vtec cam only" dyno run?

ProECU
05-09-2005, 11:51 AM
4000rpm is low enough, or select a point low enough where the car is happy to live, your tuner should be OK with this, not a difficult concept.

saxman
05-09-2005, 04:07 PM
doesn't have to be anthing rediculously low, just something obviously lower then where vtec should be. for the s2k motor, 4k sounds like a good number to me too

what I would do is overlap the two dynos, then set the vtec to about 200 rpm or so below where they overlap, and bump timing slightly before, and drop a little timing afterwards to smooth the transition

9krpm
06-09-2005, 07:42 AM
thanks guys

9krpm
10-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Nice to meet proecu and the honda owners today.
You guys had some very nice rides.

proecu, you can download the latest aem ems software from here
http://forum.aempower.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=8610
We'll catch up soon. You still own me a ride in your beast m8.
I did not want to hold you up today :(

mini_s2000
10-09-2005, 08:06 PM
wo wow wow owowo.... very impressive, what compression you running?

ProECU
10-09-2005, 10:48 PM
mate, our rides are nowhere near the standard of your beast...

very ****ing impressive car !

Trust-Me
11-09-2005, 02:25 AM
yes i can say this s2k is fuking mental!!!!! i had the pleasure to be a passenger too today....its just shits over all our cars...

9krpm
11-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks guys but it's not that great.
I would love to get the car to idle and run smoothly like the proecu does on your rides.

HyperZ
12-09-2005, 01:26 AM
Hope you get your idling issues sorted out, props to you and your development team :)

9krpm
12-09-2005, 07:14 AM
wo wow wow owowo.... very impressive, what compression you running?

9:1 compression

ProECU
12-09-2005, 01:34 PM
I think part of the idle problem is that the EMS minimum vacuum is 14.9 or something like that.
Hondas tend to like about 20-26 inHg to idle under 1000rpm.

9krpm
12-09-2005, 03:04 PM
those load points are not fixed and adjustable proecu
At idle, my boost gauge is around -550mmHg, and the map normally hover around -11.56 and -8.71.

I got it to idle around 1000rpm at one stage but then all of the sudden it changed and stalled in traffic :confused: The aem has many idle parameters. Right now it idle at 1300.

I think my high idle ignition timing is causing this.
BTW what ignition timing do you run at idle proecu?

chicken8
12-09-2005, 08:06 PM
i heard s2000's engines blow up quite easily cause its already heavily tuned

what will the turbo do to it?

ProECU
12-09-2005, 08:24 PM
those load points are not fixed and adjustable proecu
At idle, my boost gauge is around -550mmHg, and the map normally hover around -11.56 and -8.71.

I got it to idle around 1000rpm at one stage but then all of the sudden it changed and stalled in traffic :confused: The aem has many idle parameters. Right now it idle at 1300.

I think my high idle ignition timing is causing this.
BTW what ignition timing do you run at idle proecu?

yeah i know its adjustable in the software, but the minimum is -14.9.
Try going lower than that......software doesnt support it from what I saw.

Your base timing should be as per the timing mark.
I dont know what the factory setting is from factory, but i'd definately stick to that.

It might be worth while talking to Brett for some ideas....
He loves the s2000 !

9krpm
12-09-2005, 10:33 PM
i heard s2000's engines blow up quite easily cause its already heavily tuned

what will the turbo do to it?

blow it up even quicker :D

J/k a lot of people runs 10psi on stock compression (11:1) with stock internal As long as you have the hardware and software with conservative tune then it's quite reliable :cool:

Thank proecu. As suspected my timing is way too much at around idle. I will look more into this idle issue. I never had much time before but will get some more time to play around with this.

I will talk to Brett once I am more happy with the base tune. I may get him to fine tune it to see if there is any difference between Brett and Martin ;)

davidd
19-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Very Nice job their....

The idea of a turbo'd s2k really interests me :)

ProECU
19-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Thank proecu. As suspected my timing is way too much at around idle. I will look more into this idle issue. I never had much time before but will get some more time to play around with this.

Dude

I dont mind spending some time with you on a weekend trying to sort out your idle issues.
This is something that can be done without a dyno.

DOSHBTEK
30-09-2005, 12:11 AM
that is insane... turbo s2k how much would it cost?

Menzy
09-01-2006, 02:17 PM
just finished reading the whole thread, you have done lots of work 9krpm, im still in my early stages of purchasing my s2000.
any updates ... pics times etc.

Btw a well done job ... how is the car going now anyway? anymore trouble or most of them should be sorted out...

peace. !