PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fibre Bonnet

*LUDE2C*
15-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Ok im looking for a final touch to my lude and i have decided to go with a carbon fibre bonnet:D , the only prob is i cant find anyone in Australia that has them or can import them to suit a gen4 lude. If you know where i may be able to find a bonnet or importer let me know.

panda[cRx]
15-02-2005, 03:49 PM
doesnt anyone worry about defects or their insurance not covering them in case of an accident if they have a cd hood?

sure i love cf hoods as much as the next guy but they seem like could be more trouble than they are worth :(

Flash_Gordon
15-02-2005, 03:51 PM
im not sure about getting insurance for them, it should be too hard seeing as its not really a performance mod, even though it makes car lighter it doesnt give extra power. But my mate had one and crashed and it got screwed lol. he was hell pissed off and just put his stock hood back on

DLO01
15-02-2005, 04:35 PM
Ok im looking for a final touch to my lude and i have decided to go with a carbon fibre bonnet:D , the only prob is i cant find anyone in Australia that has them or can import them to suit a gen4 lude. If you know where i may be able to find a bonnet or importer let me know.
Have you spoken to Hondar:
oz_hondar@yahoo.com <oz_hondar@yahoo.com>

']doesnt anyone worry about defects or their insurance not covering them in case of an accident if they have a cd hood?

sure i love cf hoods as much as the next guy but they seem like could be more trouble than they are worth :(
My insurance covers me. The only thing is that they will replace it with an OEM one if it is damaged.

im not sure about getting insurance for them, it should be too hard seeing as its not really a performance mod, even though it makes car lighter it doesnt give extra power. But my mate had one and crashed and it got screwed lol. he was hell pissed off and just put his stock hood back on
The problem is with CF is that at a point it breaks and splinters, can do more harm to a pedestrian than metal.

maxtron
18-02-2005, 02:15 AM
i can get one
but ur looking at $1000

redliner
18-02-2005, 09:25 AM
If you find a good CF bonnet.. it should crumble at certain point instead of splintering everywhere on impact. I was reading this somewhere but i forgort where.

*LUDE2C*
18-02-2005, 03:25 PM
i can get one
but ur looking at $1000

Tell me more...

maxtron
18-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Its brand new, just got shipped and only got like 2 in the shop for prelude
if you want it, you can check if its alright than take it

there has only been 1 or 2 installed in vic

http://img138.exs.cx/img138/4021/preludecf1pg.th.jpg (http://img138.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img138&image=preludecf1pg.jpg)

egSi
19-02-2005, 11:49 AM
']doesnt anyone worry about defects or their insurance not covering them in case of an accident if they have a cd hood?

nah man^^ id kick a cf hood with hubcaps for sure!! :D

panda[cRx]
19-02-2005, 09:31 PM
nah my point is in victoria they are illegal. there are no ADR's for them as of yet.

Flash_Gordon
20-02-2005, 03:24 AM
is it really illegal there ??...i smoke rock !

*LUDE2C*
20-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Are they illegal in NSW?

Q_ball
20-02-2005, 12:38 PM
yeh im really keen on gettin one for me teg, not sure if they illegal or not in NSW....are they?

maxtron
20-02-2005, 11:35 PM
i wouldnt have a clue
one way to find out, ring up the police and ask them, than get them to have it in writing incase other cops pull you over for it

maxtron
27-02-2005, 02:54 PM
its $1100 incl postage

djgarv
02-03-2005, 11:49 PM
if u;re in melbourne...i think cyber century has them...visit the springvale store, they tend to be more helpful than the box hill one

EuroAccord13
02-03-2005, 11:54 PM
CF Hoods are illegal throughout Australia due to the fact that they have no crumple zones and they cause more injury.

CF hood is good for 2 things -----> Looks and a few kilograms less...

I'm sure you can remove some stuffs that you don't need in the car to make up the few less kilos :)

preludacris
03-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Cyber Century have low quality cf bonnets. They cheap tho, but you get what you pay for i guess...

bigteethygrin
03-03-2005, 05:17 AM
CF Hoods are illegal throughout Australia due to the fact that they have no crumple zones and they cause more injury.

CF hood is good for 2 things -----> Looks and a few kilograms less...

I'm sure you can remove some stuffs that you don't need in the car to make up the few less kilos :)

i thought only pure cf hoods were illegal but some hoods with mixed materials were ok.

Kawasaki
03-03-2005, 07:32 AM
best thing to do is contact your local RTA, Ive asked them hundreds of questions about rollcages etc and they have always been happy to help me with my questions

CIvIc_HatCH
22-03-2005, 03:34 PM
i had a JUN cf hood on my ex-civic, and crashed that at a certain speed. i thought i was going to die. but it held up... it didn't splinter, and just crumbled up but pushed right back out... ummmmms but it was full cf, no like half cf half fibre glass or plastic lic cheap ones.... which will kill u... my insurance said to me they don't cover the hood but they do cover the car...

nxx
22-03-2005, 06:39 PM
hmm..u sure they are illegal cause i have seen some cars with them, couple s13's around my area had em but i only seen them like once, havent seen it in months now.

tRipitaka
22-03-2005, 07:54 PM
hmm..u sure they are illegal cause i have seen some cars with them, couple s13's around my area had em but i only seen them like once, havent seen it in months now.

CF Bonnets are illegal..
As are things hanging from the mirrors, neon lights, BOVs and even altezza lights etc... yet people still get them..

Taken from another thread -

Full Carbon bonnets are illegal.
You'll get a nice phat yellow sticker, if caught with one. Cause is your in an accident, the carbon can shatter, in to millions of shards and pearce the windscreen, or others around. And you do need the pins to hold it down.... Its so light, that there the chance that it may fling up in your windscreen.
While extreemly light, and cool looking, they are illegal and hell expensive for a legitimate full carbon bonnet.

nxx
22-03-2005, 08:03 PM
hmm maybe bov are only illegal in some states, im in wa, my cousin has a bov on his rex, along with about 11tybillion other people.

he has all the permits and stuff and hasnt been pulled over or questioned about it before, i guess wa just pwns for car laws :)

edit : i asked a local wa cop, he even said that scanners to detect cameras and speed guns are not even illegal in wa either, but in other states they are :rolleyes:

joepher
26-09-2005, 06:37 PM
have a look at www.carmate.com.au

they do carbon fibre bonnets there.. I am not too sure about the quality of their products though. They also do carbon fibre boot lids as well

Im planning to Buy a CF bonnet next month and I have looked for ages and carmate are the only people I have found to do them

So, if anyone buys one of them, let us know the quality of the carbon fibre.

(BTW I had CF insert for a motorbike I used to have and it started to splinter abit on the sides, they become really sharp and can certainly pierce throug the skin)

dcdc
27-09-2005, 11:19 PM
I believe someone mentioned this previously, but hondar in the traders section does a cf bonnet preorder from time to time. looks the goods from the pics i've seen.

michael_antoi
28-09-2005, 04:31 PM
yeh the traders do good deals from time to time on Carbon Fibre bonnets, check in there every now and then

DOSHBTEK
29-09-2005, 02:47 AM
how much do CF bonnets go for?

BigWillieStyles
29-09-2005, 08:29 PM
make sure u get one that has a break line, cause some cheaps ones have a reputation of breaking from the hinges, rather than bending like metal, and comming through the windscreen in a crash making them very risky. Ask the seller prior to purchase. Thats why they are illegal!

A dude on ebay sells ones for civics, and told me he could easily custom design one for the lude if i wanted.

8100rpm
30-09-2005, 12:46 AM
i am looking to buy a cf bonnet too with no vents, would the police care??? cause my car's been lowered and they dont realy car

TypeG
30-09-2005, 01:51 AM
hondar does sell top quality and fittment cf bonnet

ASSASSIN
30-09-2005, 12:16 PM
give us a PM if you want some i get the best quality from the US.