PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light comes on randomly 1st gear?

japa_VTEC
28-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Hey guys,

So I just realised while I was driving my EK1 that the check engine light comes on when I rev barely high (I'm guessing around 4k revs, obviously my EK1 doesn't have a tach) on 1st and sometimes 2nd gear. It only turns on for a second before I shift. It doesn't happen all the time and I've only just noticed so I'm not sure if it has always been doing this or not.

Anyone else had the same problem, or could possibly know what it is?

My car is in top condition, change the oils regularly and don't thrash the car (besides the odd day or two to make me feel cool)

Thanks fellas!

hmetro24
28-09-2011, 10:00 PM
What I can say it could be a sensor is playing up, maybe plugs are loose somewhere. Check all the sensors if they are plugged correctly. Or could be a sensor on its way to die. Or could be something related to emission.
Does the light come before 4 k rpm , what if you drive on 3rd gear over 4k rpm, will it shows ?

EKVTIR-T
28-09-2011, 10:05 PM
Do an ecu error code check and see what comes up
Hopefully you'll find the problem :)
Instructions (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?8218-DIY-CHECK-ECU-for-j00-!&)

hmetro24
28-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Do an ecu error code check and see what comes up
Hopefully you'll find the problem :)
Instructions (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?8218-DIY-CHECK-ECU-for-j00-!&)
Try it but i think he is not gonna get any code. Also try ECU reset and check if you still havng this random flash.

japa_VTEC
30-09-2011, 07:57 AM
QUICK CORRECTION. I just realised I said it was the check engine light, when it's actually the red warning light (!, same one that comes on when you pull your handbrake up) Sorry haha...

I've found that when my engine is cold, the light comes up even when the revs are low. It doesn't do this at all on 3rd gear.

I'll give the ECU error check a go.

Thanks guys

japa_VTEC
30-09-2011, 08:27 AM
It must be a brake problem, either my fluid is low or my pads are a little worn out.

ECU-MAN
30-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Red warning lamp ?? could be your engine is starving for oil or your voltage regulator is rooted

zhong
30-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Most likely low in brake fluid, top her up and you shall never see the light again..... until of course you pull your handbrake.

P.S. I hope your red light looks like this ((!))

japa_VTEC
03-10-2011, 11:27 AM
low brake fluid! just topped it up and she's fine now!

thanks guys

Bludger
03-10-2011, 11:38 AM
brake fluid is low, but not enough to have the warning light on.

When your accelerate, the fluid shifts and the light gos on temporarily, then goes out.

Top up your brake fluid

ECU-MAN
03-10-2011, 11:55 AM
low brake fluid! just topped it up and she's fine now!

thanks guys

your brake master cylinder is probably leaking into the drivers floorwell. get a torch and check it out.

Bludger
03-10-2011, 12:00 PM
your brake master cylinder is probably leaking into the drivers floorwell. get a torch and check it out.
good thinking.

could be leaking anywhere actually.