PDA

View Full Version : knocking

GU357
01-10-2011, 01:53 PM
hey guys took my car in to pedders to install some BC racing Coilovers which i bought 2nd hand.

the pedders dude told me they knock after hard bumps, he said its not the dampers or springs its most likely like a tie rod or a worn rubber busher.
either way he said he would check it out.

what do you guys think it is??

nzjdm
01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Hey i work for Pedders what he is saying could likely be correct however there are many parts that can make noise in a car most of the time its sway bar links or upper mounts with Honda's.
Can you tell me what type of car your putting them in and if its a late model Honda with McPherson Strut? also be very carefull when buying second hand!!! iv done it so im not going to preach but there are plenty of times i have fitted faulty second hand parts!! with BC McPherson Strut Honda Coilovers iv often seen the main strut nut loose on the upper mount so check that too!! (if your worried about there diagnosis get them to show you what they have found) .

Marc

GU357
01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
thanks marc

its a 2003 model honda jazz, McPherson front and the torsion beam rear has the damper and spring seperate (i think its called the coil spring set up, but i could be wrong.)
the mcpherson on the front dont have a pillow ball mount, just a single threaded shaft that sticks through the top into the engine bay.

heres a pic.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/sam1894.jpg/sr=1

nzjdm
01-10-2011, 04:41 PM
is the noise front or rear? also pick wont open?

GU357
01-10-2011, 06:30 PM
yeh pics stuffed ill try find it again.

the noise is at the front, mainly front left (passenger side) the back dont make the same noise they make more of a doof noise because its mounted steel to steal.
but the front ones make a clunk sound.

this is the style of susepnsion it employs but this is the tein version:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/sam1894.jpg/sr=1

nzjdm
01-10-2011, 07:01 PM
wait and see what they say, as a guess id say "links" or upper mounts, and maybe bushes... thats if the shocks are really ok

GU357
01-10-2011, 07:08 PM
yeh well they said the shocks seem to pass their test but they cant be certain, he said it seems like something was missing from the kit, or the bushes are worn.

the sounds isnt too bad its just when the wheel drop off an edge.

nzjdm
02-10-2011, 02:43 PM
well it could be the shock maxing out then? its so hard with out seeing it there is so much to test to find noises

GU357
02-10-2011, 07:02 PM
ive noticed on right turns that i can hear a bouncing shakey sound, might also be the shock.
because right turns put stress on the left wheels.
but need to do some tests to be certain, because i did take the corner on a dodgy road

jezza30
09-10-2011, 11:20 PM
I Have similar sounds. Mines more of a clonk. I also have BC coils have had them for over a year and still going hard. The knock/clonk noise i have is weird. Seems to do it when im on full look. Also if i let off the throttle and the car does that little jerk. No idea where is coming from at all. could be cvs, steering axles heaps of things. Im still trying to figure mine out

GU357
10-10-2011, 12:32 AM
yeh turns out my spring seat was not done up properly so the damper was going in then hitting the spring making it "clonk"