PDA

View Full Version : Charging Battery with Jumper Starter?

spetz
02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering, can I charge a battery with a jumper starter, something like this:
http://jumpstarters.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Jump_Starter.jpg

All I want to do is charge it back up for storage, not put in a car.

Thanks

RAD
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
The rough answer is yes. You can charge the jumper using the small plug in 240v charger, disconnect it and put the jumper leads to the battery you want to store. Allow a few hours for the voltage between the two to equalize, then repeat until the gauge on the jumper is 100% with both connected.

Would advise against having the little 240v charger plugged into the jump start, while connnected to the battery, it's not meant to maintain the both. And for trying to charge a Calcium or Gel battery if the jump start has a SLA/AGM inside it which it would likely have.

Unless you've already got the jumpstart, grab a little intelligent charger to maintain the battery.

spetz
04-10-2011, 07:17 PM
The battery I want to charge is a Optima yellow top D34.
The 240v output is only 800Mah so it would be pointless to try to charge with that on anyway.

I was going to repeat a few times until the Optima voltage was about 13.8v

RAD
05-10-2011, 02:24 AM
For an Optima, best thing would be to find someone with a Ctek or similar smart charger that will let you borrow it, or leave the battery with them. Desulphate/Rejuvenate the battery for a few days or even a week, give it a good charge then store it.

Storing the battery under roughly 80% for even a short amount of time can slowly kill deep cycle batteries like Optima and Odyssey, guilty of killing three so far.

RAD
05-10-2011, 02:39 AM
For an Optima, best thing would be to find someone with a Ctek or similar smart charger that will let you borrow it, or leave the battery with them. Desulphate/Rejuvenate the battery for a few days or even a week, give it a good charge then store it.

Storing the battery under roughly 80% for even a short amount of time can slowly kill deep cycle batteries like Optima and Odyssey, guilty of killing three so far.