PDA

View Full Version : What does insurance think of CAI?

Reagan
15-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Im curious about CAI for the euro, like what will the insurance company think, and i see many people have them and it seems insurance companies dont insure cars with those am i right? why do you guys still install them if theres a chance to void the insurance claims if anything goes wrong, also wat about warranty issues =)

dundas
15-02-2005, 10:52 PM
dont tell insurance company, some insurance companies allow u to have a certain amount of mods without afftectin ur premium.. just cars allows u to mod as much as u want but afftects ur premium..
if u get in trouble or sumthing.. all u need to do is take it ou tand fit ur stock one in :D
das all ^_^

Reagan
15-02-2005, 11:00 PM
yeah about that it can be stuck cant it the cai depending on impact damage?

Pum[Z]
15-02-2005, 11:08 PM
It depends on the accident. Major accidents then they may look into the airfilter thing, But if it is a small prang then they wouldn't look into the airfilter & void the claim.... Some insurance companies allow mods on cars but affects ur premium. Just check with ur insurer what is and what is not allowed.... U will probably fine that they won't void the claim but they just change to factory and will not insure ur aftermarket CAI...

As what dundas say if ur so anal about warranty or insurance just revert back to the original airbox if u have an accident or everytime u service ur car.

Peekay34
16-02-2005, 08:15 AM
You have to advise them.. if you have an accident that is your fault and you cannot remove the CAI before an assessor looks at your car they may refuse to pay the claim. It is called Duty of Disclosure.. I work for an insurance company. Most insurance companys should not have an issue with the CAI. It is only the level of mods that you have to your car..the more you have the less likely they will insure you. Also depending on the company it may affect your policy amount and or excess as in their eyes you may be a larger risk.

EuroAccord13
16-02-2005, 12:23 PM
Just go to Just Cars then....

Peekay34
16-02-2005, 01:22 PM
No if you read what I said depends on the amount of mods. If the intake is the only thing you are going to do you are ok. Normally most insurance companys will allow a max 3 mods. Alliance is very strict they even baulk at one mod they did not like my Honda genuine body kit at all...

Reagan
16-02-2005, 02:05 PM
yeah just CAI and nothing else, anybody know if NRMA allows that?

Peekay34
17-02-2005, 02:47 PM
Should be fine... I work for them...

wynode
17-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Call up your insurance company and check to be sure.

me_kevinly
29-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Should be fine... I work for them...

are you sure Peekay34????
can you double check for us if installing CAI will not affect the insurance????
PLEASE

EuroAccord13
29-08-2005, 10:49 AM
are you sure Peekay34????
can you double check for us if installing CAI will not affect the insurance????
PLEASE

Wouldn't calling them up be easier and faster for you?

ITRBoI
29-08-2005, 10:54 AM
there's always risk in changing parts from your car in the first place, some insurance company wont even insure CAI and cat back exhuast cause they think is going to do harm to the engine!!! have you try Famous Car Insurance?? they allow alot of mods to the car.

me_kevinly
29-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Wouldn't calling them up be easier and faster for you?

hahaha i call them before regarding to wheels and some staff said "an Accord Euro? why would anyone wanna modiflied their Accord?"
felt like a goose ahhaha

me_kevinly
29-08-2005, 12:15 PM
there's always risk in changing parts from your car in the first place, some insurance company wont even insure CAI and cat back exhuast cause they think is going to do harm to the engine!!! have you try Famous Car Insurance?? they allow alot of mods to the car.

nope, currently with nrma, family wouldnt let me change :(

VirIIx
29-08-2005, 01:10 PM
nope, currently with nrma, family wouldnt let me change :(

kevin, get an icebox like me

they'll never know :)

me_kevinly
29-08-2005, 05:06 PM
they'll never know :)[/QUOTE]

hey adrian
can i use the stock cover to cover it ???
but i kinda want that screaming sound anyway ehheeh
and the polish tube "rice" :D

aaronng
29-08-2005, 05:44 PM
hey adrian
can i use the stock cover to cover it ???
but i kinda want that screaming sound anyway ehheeh
and the polish tube "rice" :D
Ice box cover looks almost like stock. If you don't want the black words on it, then sandpaper it down! hahahahah
Actually, when you buy ice box, you are paying for the cover, which is larger than normal...

If you want the chrome tube, then you need SRI or CAI. Just don't open the bonnet when your family is around. Hehhehe

me_kevinly
29-08-2005, 05:46 PM
hi Aaron,
the thing is to get away from insurance and honda for warranty
i might get sri so i can change it back to stock when service the car like Tom

Ferrarista
28-10-2005, 10:48 AM
I just called the RTA about this,

You have to keep it stock standard because its a new car and has to meet emission regulations.

Guess no CAI for me :(

me_kevinly
28-10-2005, 10:56 AM
I just called the RTA about this,

You have to keep it stock standard because its a new car and has to meet emission regulations.

Guess no CAI for me :(

Bull! dude i have called thousand times
even after i install it =P

Ferrarista
28-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Bull! dude i have called thousand times
even after i install it =P
WHat did they say to you????

And was this the RTA?

Insurance company said they would insure it but it has to be legal in ur state, and RTA is saying it isint

ITRBoI
28-10-2005, 11:15 AM
i say just do it and keep your stock one just incase of anything.....

yfin
28-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Ferrarista - what if you get an emissions test - do they say it would still be illegal in NSW? In Melb my former local mechanic said he could do such testing - so I don't think it is a difficult process.

me_kevinly
28-10-2005, 11:17 AM
well i called nrma only
but as you know, nrma is always a pain in the butt
if they say its ok it SHOULD be ok
and they say they willl cover it
so yeah...

as001
28-10-2005, 11:24 AM
just called nrma and advised ive got a different air intake insurance has gone up approx 150 a year...

me_kevinly
28-10-2005, 11:29 AM
just called nrma and advised ive got a different air intake insurance has gone up approx 150 a year...

honestly that crazy, i really hate it when they dont know what they are saying, well my insurance didnt charge me anything
i called them and told the operator i changed my Air filter to CAI
and they ask me whats a CAI???
i repeat and explain to them 3 times and at the end they said you dont need to inform them abt that min mod.
WTF? :confused:

Tobster
28-10-2005, 05:28 PM
I would reckon that they didn't really understand what you meant -- they probably thought you'd just changed the filter.
I can understand some insurance companies' point of view: putting in a CAI means that you are more likely to be driving fast, which means you're more likely to be involved in an accident, which makes you more of a risk...

But there are huge differences between insurance companies and it always pays to shop around!

Ferrarista
28-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Well just cars said they would insure it cause im with AAMI and i want to leave them due to their 1 mod policy, but the RTA said its not legal.

Yfin, im pretty sure if it passes emission tests it should be ok, due to the fact it would be legal. To my understanding, they are saying its illegal because of the emission test.

Stupidity at its best, if it were an older car it wouldnt be a problem but because its brand new there is a problem.

Peekay34
28-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Try Unique car insurance they will allow mods galore. My car is now insured with them and I have choice of repairer.

DMHonda
28-10-2005, 06:38 PM
$8, thats what my insurance company told me, my premium would be increased by $8 because i insured my CAI with my car and i told them i oredered it from overseas. Honda dealer told me if there is a problem like hydrolocking caused by your CAI then your warranty would be void, which i guess is fair enough. but otherwise my warranty stays intact. ifact if there is a dispute i can get an independant mechanic to check if it was a problem because of the CAI. As far as isurance goes they know none better. for them CAI is as good as a air filter

Ferrarista
29-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Try Unique car insurance they will allow mods galore. My car is now insured with them and I have choice of repairer.
Insurance company is not the problem here, its the RTA.

yfin
29-10-2005, 12:58 AM

Read this

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf

See reference on page 2 - modification that "does not affect compliance with any emission or noise related ADRs". The thing is - how can the RTA say to you the Euro with CAI will not meet the ADRs? It is quite harsh for them to presume non-compliance simply on the basis that you make a change.

They appear to proceed on the basis that unless you have had the car engineered or tested for compliance after modifications - they assume it isn't compliant.

So not much help to you I am afraid - it seems quite tough in NSW.

If it is any comfort - the Euro meets very tough Euro 4 emission standards - so if you want to get the car tested to see if it still meets the ADRs I am confident you will pass with flying colours. It is a hassle though and probably expensive too.

By the way - I don't see how a CAI could change emission levels. I could be wrong. My understanding is that it lowers the temperature of air reaching the engine - just like driving on a cool day. The air is still filtered. Removing the resonator (from what I undertand) - is just for noise suppression. I'd be interested to hear what others think on this point.

Changing the exhaust system I expect is a different matter.

Ferrarista
29-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Read this

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi06.pdf

See reference on page 2 - modification that "does not affect compliance with any emission or noise related ADRs". The thing is - how can the RTA say to you the Euro with CAI will not meet the ADRs? It is quite harsh for them to presume non-compliance simply on the basis that you make a change.

They appear to proceed on the basis that unless you have had the car engineered or tested for compliance after modifications - they assume it isn't compliant.

So not much help to you I am afraid - it seems quite tough in NSW.

If it is any comfort - the Euro meets very tough Euro 4 emission standards - so if you want to get the car tested to see if it still meets the ADRs I am confident you will pass with flying colours. It is a hassle though and probably expensive too.

By the way - I don't see how a CAI could change emission levels. I could be wrong. My understanding is that it lowers the temperature of air reaching the engine - just like driving on a cool day. The air is still filtered. Removing the resonator (from what I undertand) - is just for noise suppression. I'd be interested to hear what others think on this point.

Changing the exhaust system I expect is a different matter.

Thanks for the help, you raise a good point. I'll see if i know anyone who knows anyone who can help me, ive had heaps of mates get their cars engineered. I'll probably end up getting it anyway, its such a vague regulation.

ngupil
29-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Try SunCorp Insurance, under GIO. they allow mods upto turbos and superchargers. and they are cheap as well. when i bought my euro i ask for a quote from 5 different insurance company, and they are the cheapest. but in terms of quality .. i still not sure

Ferrarista
29-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Try SunCorp Insurance, under GIO. they allow mods upto turbos and superchargers. and they are cheap as well. when i bought my euro i ask for a quote from 5 different insurance company, and they are the cheapest. but in terms of quality .. i still not sure
Once again, the insurance company isint the problem here.

Peekay34
29-10-2005, 04:37 PM

Ahhh the thread title is "What does Insurance company think of CAI" not what does RTA think of it. NGUPIL and I only offered an alternative based on the thread title I think an apology is in order and yes I am being a prima donna.

yfin
29-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Ahhh the thread title is "What does Insurance company think of CAI" not what does RTA think of it.

The problem is there is a link. The insurance companies I have spoken to about modifications usually say I can have "x" or "unlimited" modifications as long as it is "legal". When you tell them what the mods are - they always seem to assume it is legal. Call centre insurance chick: "sorry, can you spell nitrous kit for me?" :D Just kidding - but you know what I mean.

If you later have an accident - the assessor might say X mod is illegal. That gives them a way out of the indemnity. I am not saying they will not pay the claim - it is just a way out if they want to be difficult.

Peekay34
30-10-2005, 12:09 AM
I agree yfin but did u read my post I was responding to Ferrarista who was saying this was not about insurance.

The RTA does not pay out on your car if you have an accident insurance companys do. And if the accident is not one where some one who has been killed or has suffered major injuries the RTA (or the appropriate state authority) probably would never care. It only becomes a problem when you get your car inspected for road worthiness which in places like Victoria only happens when you sell your car or if the Police inspect your vehicle and canary it.

Yes the legality of POD filters is an issue but only if they are put in to a position where they leak oil onto the road or are a fire risk.

Ferrarista
30-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Ahhh the thread title is "What does Insurance company think of CAI" not what does RTA think of it. NGUPIL and I only offered an alternative based on the thread title I think an apology is in order and yes I am being a prima donna.
I just bumped this thread, i used the search function because i was wondering the same thing then the RTA came into it :)

yfin
30-10-2005, 01:53 AM
Well said Peekay.

Ferrarista - the bottom line is it is up to you. Get your car engineered if you are worried. The other thing is I read you are a rep so you must be doing a lot of kms in the Euro. So it is important to keep in mind that all CAIs are louder than stock - esp above 4000rpm - when I say loud I am not saying this lightly. Think 3 year old with pots and pans banging them together. It is loud. The Icebox or Mugen intake is a good alternative if you want to keep relatively stock sound and look - you just will not get the same top end gain. Pros and cons with each - for someone spending all day in their car probably making lots of phone calls etc - I would go the Icebox / Mugen style as it is less intrusive.

Ferrarista
30-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Well said Peekay.

Ferrarista - the bottom line is it is up to you. Get your car engineered if you are worried. The other thing is I read you are a rep so you must be doing a lot of kms in the Euro. So it is important to keep in mind that all CAIs are louder than stock - esp above 4000rpm - when I say loud I am not saying this lightly. Think 3 year old with pots and pans banging them together. It is loud. The Icebox or Mugen intake is a good alternative if you want to keep relatively stock sound and look - you just will not get the same top end gain. Pros and cons with each - for someone spending all day in their car probably making lots of phone calls etc - I would go the Icebox / Mugen style as it is less intrusive.
Interesting you say that, its a good point.

What about just putting a K&N replacement filter in? Any opinion on that?

euro77
30-10-2005, 12:59 PM
K&N replacement filter, in terms of performance gain, is very minimal. you'll hardly feel it compared to if you use CAI.
Having said that, you may want to try the ITG air filter, which Peekay would definitely back up and yfin has only good things to say about it as well. But again, I don't know if it'll make much difference with stock airbox setup.

aDe
30-10-2005, 03:09 PM
I think they will pick anything that is none standard and you must get permit :) just my2cents

Peekay34
31-10-2005, 06:49 AM
I think they will pick anything that is none standard and you must get permit :) just my2cents

Sorry but that is not true. Panel filters made to fit exisiting airboxes are completely legal as long as they are not exposed and are fully encased so they cannot leak oil on to the road and do not alter emmisions beyond ADR rulings. But unless someone is chasing you with an emmisions probe from EPA.... well I think you get the picture.

MIRZ
02-11-2005, 11:17 PM
donot worry about insurance companies if u are into modes

ngupil
02-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Based on the discussions that i've read, i can only make 2 suggestions for you Ferrarista
1. if you're afraid that CAI is illegal, dont buy it
2. if you really want CAI, screw the insurance company
end of story

i dont mean to be rude, but the discussion seems to be going in circles, since no one know the definite answer. i dont even think insurance people know what CAI is. me, myself dont even know what it is :D all i know it is an air intake. am i rite? LOL for me :)

euro77
03-11-2005, 12:25 AM
donot worry about insurance companies if u are into modes

That's your opinion, and I value it.
But it is by far best to make sure that your insurance company will cover your car and your mods (which you must tell all of them) in case something happen to your beloved car *touch wood*. You spent a lot of money for the car and for your mods. Having no financial protection on them is stupid imo. Unless of course if you are made of money :D

PS: this is not a personal attack, please don't take me wrong

PNR888
03-11-2005, 07:01 PM
i dont even think insurance people know what CAI is. me, myself dont even know what it is :D all i know it is an air intake. am i rite? LOL for me :)

CAI = Cold Air Intake ... you are certainly on the right track :thumbsup: ...

Ferrarista
08-11-2005, 01:45 PM
OK!

I called the RTA again and talked to a guy who knew what he was talking about.

He said basically all it has to be for it to be legal is comply with the Australian ADR's. Now we all know that Injen comply with the Californian ADR's which are the strictest in the world. He said you could go get it engineered and get a doco, but its up to the cop to do so, basically i dont need it engineered to put it on.

Ok, most important question now..:D

Where the hell do i get one from, ozcheaper are not listing any for the time being. Hopefully a local distrubutor would be great.

Ferrarista
08-11-2005, 01:58 PM
Also, according to the ADR's, this is how it goes.

Petrol Vehicles

* Euro 2 in 2003/04 for all new petrol vehicles; and
* Euro 3 in 2005/06 for all new petrol vehicles.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/mve/vehicle_emissions_adrs.aspx

Mine is a 2004 model.

Does anyone know what Injen rates at?

Reagan
08-11-2005, 02:04 PM
so in conclusion 04 model euro accord can have a CAI?

Ferrarista
08-11-2005, 02:07 PM
so in conclusion 04 model euro accord can have a CAI?
thats what im asking

yfin
08-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Also, according to the ADR's, this is how it goes.

Petrol Vehicles

* Euro 2 in 2003/04 for all new petrol vehicles; and
* Euro 3 in 2005/06 for all new petrol vehicles.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/mve/vehicle_emissions_adrs.aspx

Mine is a 2004 model.

Does anyone know what Injen rates at?

I think for something that specific you should email Injen.

Has anyone considered my earlier question about how a CAI can impact emission? I would be interested to know technically how this could happen as it is only feeding in colder air following a less restrictive path. I remember reading once that a colder engine has higher emisssions - but that is a different point. I can understand how changing a muffler or exhaust etc could impact emmission - interested to know about the intake side.

Tobster
09-11-2005, 09:15 AM
According to http://www.injen.com/intakes.html
"Every IS system is certified or pending by the California Air Resource Board"
(the IS series intake ios the one for the TSX)
so it *should* be emissions-legal -- but it's worth checking.

I recall my mechanic brother-in-law saying that virtually all modern engines run hot -- and they do it deliberately to keep emissions down. You would assume therefore that it will be more dependent on thermostats and operating temperatures than air intake temperature -- otherwise your car might be compliant in the desert but not in the snow (for an extreme example)!

Ferrarista
28-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Ordered! :D