PDA

View Full Version : Wiring up VTEC?

Jonno34
05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to get a EG civic (preferably sedan), my budgets pretty low (up to 4k)
im hoping to keep this car for sometime and slowly work on it
The plans to work on handling/braking while I cant afford an engine swap then swap to something with good power - B18C perhaps, and then from there turbo (yes very long term project lol)

I'm gonna try and do as much of it as I can myself so I can learn a few things here and there, I have some friends who have done all this sorta stuff before so they said they'd guide me :)

I recall hearing something (tried to search the forums as much as I could before posting this) about wiring up VTEC in a non VTEC car when doing an engine swap... for example for my crappy budget atm I doubt I could get a eg civic with VTEC, and if I planned to swap the engine to something with VTEC I would need to wire it up?

Is it something particularly difficult to do? If it is I'll try to save up more for one already with VTEC .. although its pretty damn hard to find a car as it is in perth!

Cheers everyone :)

mocchi
05-10-2011, 11:44 AM
yes you need to wire it up.
not difficult to do.

its best if you have multimeter and the engine in front of you. dont let wiring hold you back.

tiksie
06-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Wiring is fun!

I went from this:

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/9478/img7134v.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4930/img6466c.jpg

To this:
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/306735_10150295116236560_562891559_8660546_3785506 27_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/299920_10150292363536560_562891559_8645473_3127162 78_n.jpg

Once everything is out, wire-tuck as much as you can. It will be worth it in the end and look so clean.

Jonno34
06-10-2011, 11:46 PM
^ i hope its not that much disassembling involved to wire it up! :| im still a newbie

XB-16-AX
07-10-2011, 10:13 AM
your best bet would be... after buying the EG Sedan / Hatch (whichever u choose) ...is to then buy the B-Series motor/ECU/Mounts etc.
then from that point, buy a conversion harness which will make your life easier.

If the EG you bought is a non-vtec, then you will have to wire up 1-2wires to the vtec solenoid to the ECU manually.
otherwise if u buy an EG VTI Sedan, then the wires should be there existing and just buy a conversion harness to complete the job. (existing loom to new B-series motor/ECU).

no need to re-wire the entire car, unless your planning to go on shows which then u can tuck the entire wiring system of the car. (stip and restore procress).

lots of ppl here on the forum has done these conversions etc, and the SEARCH function is a great tool too. :)

Jonno34
07-10-2011, 03:02 PM
your best bet would be... after buying the EG Sedan / Hatch (whichever u choose) ...is to then buy the B-Series motor/ECU/Mounts etc.
then from that point, buy a conversion harness which will make your life easier.

If the EG you bought is a non-vtec, then you will have to wire up 1-2wires to the vtec solenoid to the ECU manually.
otherwise if u buy an EG VTI Sedan, then the wires should be there existing and just buy a conversion harness to complete the job. (existing loom to new B-series motor/ECU).

no need to re-wire the entire car, unless your planning to go on shows which then u can tuck the entire wiring system of the car. (stip and restore procress).

lots of ppl here on the forum has done these conversions etc, and the SEARCH function is a great tool too. :)

cheers mate, I did try searching, thats where I recalled someone mentioning if you bought a civic with VTEC already its a bit easier for this conversion ... but it would appear that I failed in my searching skills :( sorry if its been a well covered topic!

dorikin
07-10-2011, 04:47 PM

You don't need a conversion harness unless you're going to use an OBD2 ECU

and there is more than just the VTEC solenoid to wire up when doing a B-swap. Depending on what B-series you go with - VTS, VTP, Knock Sensor, O2 Sensor, IAB, etc

Jonno34
07-10-2011, 05:46 PM

and there is more than just the VTEC solenoid to wire up when doing a B-swap. Depending on what B-series you go with - VTS, VTP, Knock Sensor, O2 Sensor, IAB, etc

probably going to be the B18C since thats what ive seen most people use and also I heard that this is a good engine to stick a turbo on .. I think

its been done by a few people so it shouldnt be tooo hard right ..?

mocchi
07-10-2011, 06:05 PM

i think vts = vtec solenoid and audm/jdm dont have vtps.

dorikin
08-10-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/sensors/vtps.jpg

mocchi
08-10-2011, 10:52 AM
well I just wired up a c7 and it didn't have VTPS. obd2a.

dorikin
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Yes you're exactly right - OBD2 motors such as B18C7 do not have a VTPS

However, if OP went with an OBD1 motor then he would need to factor that in.

It's all minor details.. but just sayin' :)

Jonno34
08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
this sounds incredibly confusing :|

mocchi
08-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Yes you're exactly right - OBD2 motors such as B18C7 do not have a VTPS

However, if OP went with an OBD1 motor then he would need to factor that in.

It's all minor details.. but just sayin' :)

oh i didnt know that, sorry.
thanks for that baws.