PDA

View Full Version : Which civic do you recommend? hatch, sedan, coupe???

blitz_syd
01-09-2003, 03:06 AM
hey guys,

read the stick on civic engine sizes, and noticed that the '97 which i'm looking at have the same engine sizes for the CXi and GLi.

now if you have read my other threads, it tells you that i currently don't own a civic, but have been doing vast research on them in the last 2 months, and have set my mind on one. i will be purchasing one within 6 months time.

now for you guys not knowing me i understand it would be hard to pick which type of civic would best suit me.
so i'm going to try and give you a brief understanding of what i need a civic for.

for a system consisting of the following:

alpine 9807 headunit
front splitz (size dependent on the size of the stock hole)
10' / 12' sub
orion xtr 500.4 amp

now for my driving needs:

economical car
a car to only really seat me (driver) and my chick
prefer to have a bit of room on the back seat (like in a hatchback) since i will be having a sub in the boot
for trips from my place to uni (20 - 30 min trip)
driving to work as well (not sure how far, as going to quit soon)

thanks guys, hope this is enough info.[/list]

EDIT: i'm looking at a CXi model. since i don't really need air-conditioning and power windows. for an added $1000 - $2000 on the cost of the car its not worth it

thanks

SiR
01-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Hatch: A good little car for two (you and your chick). The VTi-R is a 'hot-hatch' with good performance, reliability etc. Lesser models also have the potential to be a 'hot-hatch' with mods etc. Practicality is good for a 2-door and would accomodate to passengers in the back with relative ease. Good space in the boot.

Sedan: Perhaps the most common version of the EK Civic. A good practical sedan.

Coupe: The best looking out of the 3 (in my opinion) and definitely the most exclusive by far (not that many around, especially the VTi-R).
A good looking car with the ability to sit 4 adults fairly comfortably (should be the same as the hatch?) with a generous sized boot.

I hope this gives you an idea on what you're after.

Cheers!

SiR.

blitz_syd
01-09-2003, 12:01 PM
thanks SiR
i'm definately going to be looking at a coupe. (saw one in hot 4's, and it did look like a rare car)

so will be looking at the coupe and than the hatch. depending on availability.

thanks

VTi-RT
01-09-2003, 07:14 PM
Coupe = Looks, rare and more expensive then the hatch, lowest model is the GLi so you'll have to live with the AC :wink:

Hatch = Best for Stereo, lot's around

Jnr Teggy
01-09-2003, 07:20 PM
i like the coupe's....but jap style EK9 look alikes are hot! 8)

blitz_syd
01-09-2003, 07:27 PM
i like the coupe's....but jap style EK9 look alikes are hot! 8)

hey,
since your from sydney, can you give me good places to checkout for civic's?

would it be better to go to an auction? or the trading post?

thanks

Jnr Teggy
01-09-2003, 07:35 PM
tip....buy privately and allow to spend more than you want ;)

Weq
01-09-2003, 08:35 PM
I know i'm probably biased, but i'll never go hatch again after grabbing my EG Civic Sedan.
Stero installation = 100x better for a sedan. I have a 12" sub in a 63L box in the boot, and still plenty of room (over half the boot) for everything else. U cant do that in a hatch.
ive got the VTi, which came with p/s, a/c, power sunroof, p/w. My gf loves the sedan over the hatchback becuase of all the room, the front is huge and the back is comfortable ur friends, and having 4 doors makes easy access for dumping bags or whatever u want in there.. Standard was a 4speaker stereo, which made easy install for 6" drivers in the front.

Just something to think about.

VTi-RT
01-09-2003, 10:12 PM
You should only be driving 1 passanger in your car :P

Weq, Hatches are generally a better car for stereos as your stereo are in a single cabin unlike a sedan where the sub box are generally in the boot.

Yes, a sedan is better in terms of space and having 4 doors will make it easier if you drive friends/family alot.

I can tell you that the front passanger space is the same in the coupe, sedan and the hatch as I previously owned an EK Sedan, my GF has a EK coupe, and I have a EK Hatch.

Dr4g0n
04-09-2003, 04:11 PM
http://www.deakin.edu.au/~bnguyen/Dr4g0n/front.jpg

looks good to me.... :D

blitz_syd
04-09-2003, 04:19 PM
this one looks better and is a COUPE :)

http://onlineshowoff.com/member_photos.asp?carid=5068&path=/images/cars/5068&id=6

wynode
04-09-2003, 04:21 PM
this one looks better and is a COUPE :)

http://onlineshowoff.com/member_photos.asp?carid=5068&path=/images/cars/5068&id=6

Nice but the wing is WAY too big.

Jnr Teggy
04-09-2003, 06:17 PM
big wing screams for attention :(

A'PEXi
04-09-2003, 08:31 PM
the coupe would suit your needs if you ask me, has the looks etc... bit more expensive as someone has said before... but if you want more room definatly the sedan if you ocasionally want to take a few mates to places etc... i've got a ek sedan and it's not bad... try get one with vtec for that little bit more power tho whichever one you go for haha... gl bro.

Setanta
05-09-2003, 01:11 AM
The coupe is the sexiest of them - but comes with US build quality - it's interior feels cheap and poorly put together in a few cases compared with the Hatch's Japan build.

Either way, get the VTiR spec as you will hate yourself if you don't have "B" power :)

SiR
05-09-2003, 04:44 AM
Actually, the VTi-R hatch when first released had a retail of around $34,990. The coupe version, on the other hand, had a retail of around $31,800. So despite what has been said about the coupe being more expensive, that's not true as far as I know.
The reason that the VTi-R hatch was more expensive is because of the exchange rates between the AU$ and Japanese yen at the time. A big reason why Honda Australia chose to import the coupe was to give the civic line-up a boost before the current model arrived. It was also more feasible 'price-wise' since the AU$ and US$ exchange rates were a lot healthier at the time, hence the reduced price.

As for build quality between 'Made in USA' and 'Made in Japan', I personally think it's got more to do with the mind than anything else. Sure, there will be some differences, but I'm sure the QC in US made Honda's would be as stringent as their Jap counterparts.

Hope this helps.

blitz_syd
05-09-2003, 01:28 PM
thanks SiR

i have been looking at a few photo's of done up coupes and they do look alot better than hatchs'. but i won't be doing it up that much. just a system, and 17" and low profiles. is as far as i'm going to go.

i'm just going to have to go to a car yard or something and have a look at the hatch and the coupe and pick which one i like more

thanks for all repllies guys

wynode
05-09-2003, 01:38 PM
The coupe is harder to find, and the gli is pretty gutless.

Try and pick up a vti, otherwise pickup a gli with heaps of ks and do an engine swap (easier thand finding a vti-r coupe).

Then you could get the vti-r tail lights and so on :)

blitz_syd
05-09-2003, 03:57 PM
The coupe is harder to find, and the gli is pretty gutless.

Try and pick up a vti, otherwise pickup a gli with heaps of ks and do an engine swap (easier thand finding a vti-r coupe).

Then you could get the vti-r tail lights and so on :)

i'm not looking at a vti-r though
because of the power options, it sets the price of the car to at least $15K
when a CXi same year is about $10 - 12K

i have had bad experiences with alot of power options, and gets very costly when the car gets old. so i'm just going for a simple civic, and just add mags, and system to it