PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic Type R is back (with turbo)

Malenic1981
07-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Hot hatch Honda legend is set to return – and the new Civic Type R will have a turbo engine

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/500/typer1_sized.jpg

The next Honda Civic Type R will not only be the fastest version yet – it’s tipped to be Honda’s first-ever turbo road car. And our sources in Japan say tuning expert Mugen is already well underway with development.

The Type R has already achieved cult status in the UK – Europe’s biggest hot hatch market – thanks to its combination of a high-revving naturally aspirated engine and aggressive styling. But in order to meet emissions regulations, this latest model will tweak the formula slightly.

Instead of the previous 2.0-litre naturally aspirated engine, it will use a 2.0-litre turbo designed to comply with Euro V emissions regulations. A similar engine will feature in Honda’s 2012 British Touring Car Championship challenger.

Adding a turbo will give more torque lower in the rev range, so a higher gear can be used more often to boost efficiency. Stop-start is also likely to be fitted.

Just as VW hiked power with its latest Golf GTI, so Honda will increase the Type R’s output – but not by much. A figure of 210bhp would allow a 0-62mph time of less than 6.5 seconds and a top speed approaching 150mph.

Based on the new Civic seen at last month’s Frankfurt Motor Show, the Type R gets the standard car’s front grille, slim headlights and LED daytime running lights, although most of the bodywork will be uprated.

A front end with large mesh air intakes, a lower chin spoiler and chunky side skirts will boost the visual impact, while a rear diffuser and extended spoiler *aim to increase stability at high speeds. Also helping the car’s balance in corners is the standard Civic’s longer, wider chassis; this should also improve ride comfort and grip.

Don’t expect refinement to match a Mercedes S-Class, however. The Type R has always been an extreme proposition and that’s the way it will stay.

The steering is set to be pin sharp, while the six-speed manual box will use a stubby gearlever for snappy changes. Plus, the suspension will be firm, to cope with track work as well as blasting down B-roads.

In a break from tradition that matches the turbocharged Ford Focus ST – a key competitor for the Type R – Honda will offer the car as a five-door only. Prices are expected to start from around £23,000 when it arrives in 2013.

Link http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/273562/honda_civic_type_r_is_back.html

Fredoops
08-10-2011, 10:03 PM
OH dear Sweet Jesus... FINALLY a turbo car.

dc2r-0636
08-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Thank god!!! Honda woke up after a long sleep

WATAJK
08-10-2011, 10:15 PM
dislike. No thanks.
Type R is based upon N/A. That's honda's heritage. Stick to what they do best.
If they wanna do a turbo car, at least make it RWD but this Type R will be FWD... Will have a crap load or torque steer and understeer i bet probably... thats if it remains FWD which they most likely will as they will want to keep $$$ down
Rear looks ugly as hell i must say....

dc2r-0636
08-10-2011, 10:32 PM
They got 210hp+ from the jdm k20a lol. Now same with the turbo?

WATAJK
08-10-2011, 10:34 PM
well done son... you realised something i did already. Ill be sticking to my K20 thx :)

dc2r-0636
08-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Still imagine the torque from it+ its turbo so a lot more potential

Fredoops
09-10-2011, 12:16 AM

They're trying to imitate the GTi effect... useable daily hot hatch, it's not he first turbo honda however, theres a K23 in the USA thats a turbo (SUV)

Instead of the previous 2.0-litre naturally aspirated engine, it will use a 2.0-litre turbo designed to comply with Euro V emissions regulations. A similar engine will feature in Honda’s 2012 British Touring Car Championship challenger.

Adding a turbo will give more torque lower in the rev range, so a higher gear can be used more often to boost efficiency. Stop-start is also likely to be fitted.
orly?

jase89
09-10-2011, 12:29 AM
question is.. Will we get that here in australia?..

pablos8
09-10-2011, 03:09 AM
They destroyed the real type R.

mooshie
09-10-2011, 12:03 PM
tipped to be Honda’s first-ever turbo road car

they had a legend in 1989 with an interesting 'wing' turbo plus the venerable City Turbo in 1982 and later the 'bulldog' City Turbo II.
also an Acura RDX from 2007 in the US.

Car looks good from the front, not sure on the rear. Keen on the turbo but I do agree that a Type R should be a high revving, lightweight, atmo beast.

jeffreymui
09-10-2011, 01:25 PM
bye bye honda...is this is real, they are trying to humiliate themselves.......they are going to destroy honda's icon, NA vtec

blk_shadow
09-10-2011, 01:25 PM
i reckon Type R = N/A
They should call this Type T instead.

sexy_shazam
09-10-2011, 05:11 PM
dislike. No thanks.
If they wanna do a turbo car, at least make it RWD but this Type R will be FWD... Will have a crap load or torque steer and understeer i bet probably... thats if it remains FWD which they most likely will as they will want to keep $$$ down

Car looks epic but ya couldnt agree more I always thought Honda was against Turbo's but I guees there is only so much power you can extract from a 2.0 litre engine before you cant comply with emission laws.
guees were going to hear a lot of TURBO JUST LET VTEC KICK IN YO!

VT3C
09-10-2011, 08:23 PM
yeh i saw an old jdm import legend v6 turbo wtf haha..
How many golf gti's do u see on the road versus type r's ? Plus 5 door appeals to young famillies which is prob half thd golf's market honda is here to sell cars not keep us fanboys happy lol.

hussLEr
09-10-2011, 09:15 PM
they had a legend in 1989 with an interesting 'wing' turbo plus the venerable City Turbo in 1982 and later the 'bulldog' City Turbo II.
also an Acura RDX from 2007 in the US.

Car looks good from the front, not sure on the rear. Keen on the turbo but I do agree that a Type R should be a high revving, lightweight, atmo beast.
Read the first line of the thread and also thought immediately of the City Turbo!

sexy_shazam
09-10-2011, 09:24 PM

Plus I think it will sound a lot more meaner.

Couldn't they just try and make the car lighter thus improving power, efficiency and all as well? wouldn't that help them comply with Euro emission laws.

curtis265
09-10-2011, 10:51 PM
hellooo tiny turbo and 3psi boost

mugen_ctr
09-10-2011, 11:33 PM
hellooo tiny turbo and 3psi boost

Hello boost controller, 15psi and ecu tune, only reason they would run low boost is due to the high compression, much like all new cars

Bout time honda made a turbo car! Vtec with turbo can only end well :D

Fredoops
09-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Hello boost controller, 15psi and ecu tune, only reason they would run low boost is due to the high compression, much like all new cars

Bout time honda made a turbo car! Vtec with turbo can only end well :D

You dont see a lot of turbocharged cars with dual VVT setup like the i-Vtec (Porsche and BMW does it, but I call gimmicks, and they are continuously variable VVT's anyway, not the locked/stepped setup like VTEC). I don't actually think it's necessary..... Since VVT is helping to get fuel and air in the cylinders... and FI does the same thing... It's like having a big hammer (Forced Induction) and a small hammer (VVT), I don't know if you actually NEED both, since a lot of folks turbocharging civic engines end up locking the valve/cams to 'OPEN' anyway?

Case in point, look at the K23A1, the turbocharged K-series in the Acura RDX.
- No Vtec on exhaust side
- Intake side Vtec is vastly different from the rest of the K-series as well... it's not really a VTEC even on the intake side

sexy_shazam
10-10-2011, 12:07 AM
I always thought the point of a civic type R was a quick and nimble high revving pocket rocket. Wouldn't forced induction change this a bit?

Fredoops
10-10-2011, 12:12 AM
I always thought the point of a civic type R was a quick and nimble high revving pocket rocket. Wouldn't forced induction change this a bit?
it'll change... completely

sexy_shazam
10-10-2011, 12:21 AM

but if its a small low down turbo wouldn't that mean you can hit the higher rev ranges and VTEC can kick in sooner which would be a good thing right? or is going turbo more problems than its worth?

Fredoops
10-10-2011, 12:30 AM
but if its a small low down turbo wouldn't that mean you can hit the higher rev ranges and VTEC can kick in sooner which would be a good thing right? or is going turbo more problems than its worth?
When turbocharger give boost, the VTEC has to turn to it's OPEN/HIGH profile to allow the air in (tech heads welcome to correct me), so you're bascially VTEC'in the moment Turbo starts to work....

blastnpast
10-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Let's just rephrase this.. Would we all be surprised if this is never released in Australia - Much like the FD2R we never got it here for a numerous amounts of reasons for some reason i can't see Australia getting it.

Back to the thread it would be great to see A factory Honda turbo set up as Many of the Honda owners especially in the states already pushed their engines to pull crazy time due to a boost set up. I wonder what parts Honda will be using for this one to tag along with their motor.

IMO if they bring a boosted model make sure it's petrol and he'll bring out an N/A version incase people are against boost.

Lastly what is gonna happen if Australia does get this and in 15-20 years p platers want to drive a 'type r' like many of us do lol they better hope the Australian laws are back to driving an aspirated machine.

mugen_ctr
10-10-2011, 03:15 PM

how would it change? No one has even driven it to compare it to the old models such as fd2r or fn2r for that matter

I say this would make the car much better than the old models, turbocharging has come along way, turbo lag is almost non existing in some new gen boosted cars and it will only get better......

If the chassis and suspension is well sorted out much like the fn2r as critics say, than this engine is what it needs too keep the compitiion on edge imo

Fredoops
10-10-2011, 05:23 PM
how would it change? No one has even driven it to compare it to the old models such as fd2r or fn2r for that matter

I say this would make the car much better than the old models, turbocharging has come along way, turbo lag is almost non existing in some new gen boosted cars and it will only get better......

If the chassis and suspension is well sorted out much like the fn2r as critics say, than this engine is what it needs too keep the compitiion on edge imo

Having a turbocharged type R is like driving a diesel convertible.

Good idea, but it just doesnt feel the same.

mugen_ctr
10-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Having a turbocharged type R is like driving a diesel convertible.

Good idea, but it just doesnt feel the same.

well u could say times are changing, but i do see where ur coming from.....the k20 is a 11 year old design, and with every passing year, new and stricter emissions are gonna eventually kill off the k20, much like the fn2r died off in Europe , but in a way, i think honda is heading in the right directions with this new move, not only by bringing in new customers but also making the type-R name more formidable in the eyes of the world, if the new type-R can keep up with the WRX or the lancer turbo, for similar or less price, than honda is defs making a good sports.

sexy_shazam
10-10-2011, 09:50 PM
I do hope it sounds amazing id love it if it had a really nice deep tone.

The way I see it as the turbo helps with low down power which is a benefit and then when u hit say 5000 rpm it runs out of puff and VTEC kicks in. If its like this it will work very well

WATAJK
13-10-2011, 04:49 PM
You guys do understand this will be allowed to be driven by P Platers right in Victoria (don't know about other states)
You will be able to get an exemption easily as it's a family car, good ANCAP rating most likely, good fuel econony etc..
The new 1.4L Holden Cruise which is turbo can be driven by P Platers....

Good bye to the True Type R Legacy...
Will be keeping my Integra for sure now.

danNyja1
13-10-2011, 08:54 PM
My bet is that this will be released in Australia.
I remember my general manager saying
(who now got promoted to the board of directors for Honda Australia)
we will definitely import a new Type R variant when it becomes available.
Purpose to revitalise Honda's sport image in Australia

junoki
14-10-2011, 03:30 PM
doesn't resemble anything of a true civic type r

EVLGTR
15-10-2011, 04:45 PM
210, is that all?...the Type-S here does 210 without a turbo. Id get this civic if its lighter than the dc5r and most of all replace that shit-house torsion beam suspension in an FN2R

EVLGTR
15-10-2011, 04:53 PM

where does it say it has VTEC engine?? it might have a non-vtec low compression engine to accommodate the turbo, is thats the case, it will have a huge tuning potential

Setanta
16-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Different approach to the same end /=bad. This could be a good thing although Honda Australia will never compete with the Euro Turbos. Honda Sports sedans like the ITR and CTR are niche compared to the bland boxes that make up the Honda line and Honda Au are not well-known for competing with the Japanese/Korean offerings in terms of volume.

This will be a decent beast but will probably be the equivalent of the current AU CTR in terms of compromise - if Honda Au decide to go ahead with it.

Personally, I'd take a Bulldog Mk2 City Turbo over one :)

flashcvc
17-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Big + to the design of the new type r... i dont prefer the fn2 design ( looks like a turtle IMO)....

not looking forward on the turbo though...

somehow the tail lights of this type r remind me of a celica

mugen_ctr
17-10-2011, 05:01 PM
You guys do understand this will be allowed to be driven by P Platers right in Victoria (don't know about other states)
You will be able to get an exemption easily as it's a family car, good ANCAP rating most likely, good fuel econony etc..
The new 1.4L Holden Cruise which is turbo can be driven by P Platers....

Good bye to the True Type R Legacy...
Will be keeping my Integra for sure now.

P-platers have been driving cars more powerful than this 210hp civic previously, think VL turbo, wrx etc etc, infact my bro had a R33 skyline, with 200kw (back than it was alot LOL), an had one for the duration of his p-plates, an had no issues with it, at the end of the day, its all about driver education imo

but....how can ppl say they are not looking forward to the turbo or the car without even driving the vehicle, its like judging a book by its cover, thats just aint on....

As some said, the previous gen Type-R are nothing more than a niche market, this one on the other hand is for global market who wants a entry level sports car with a kick

sure some purist like you peeps will disagree about the turbo type-R, but if its not competitive to the level of the entry level sports car much like wrx or mx5, than u really gotta ask urself, why did u buy that car in the first place

aaronng
17-10-2011, 05:13 PM
At 210hp, that gives it the same power as the Golf GTI. The question will then be whether the Type R is able to beat the GTI in all the other departments, which then turns it into a crapshot since some things will be better and some things will be worse. Heck, even the power deficient XR5T has 222hp!

I'm not Honda, but if it was me and I had to overcome the stigma of a design that looked like the un-sporty FN2R, I'd turn up the wick and aim my power specs towards cars such as the Megane RenaultSport's 250hp. Then it puts the Type R beyond the hot hatch (which is now the warm hatch since even an Aurion will kill it in a straight line) and into the serious hyper-hatch category of the Megane, Golf R and Scirocco R.

dc2r-0636
17-10-2011, 05:35 PM
dont forget the focus rs with 224kw (300hp)

WATAJK
18-10-2011, 09:31 AM
P-platers have been driving cars more powerful than this 210hp civic previously, think VL turbo, wrx etc etc, infact my bro had a R33 skyline, with 200kw (back than it was alot LOL), an had one for the duration of his p-plates, an had no issues with it, at the end of the day, its all about driver education imo

but....how can ppl say they are not looking forward to the turbo or the car without even driving the vehicle, its like judging a book by its cover, thats just aint on....

As some said, the previous gen Type-R are nothing more than a niche market, this one on the other hand is for global market who wants a entry level sports car with a kick

sure some purist like you peeps will disagree about the turbo type-R, but if its not competitive to the level of the entry level sports car much like wrx or mx5, than u really gotta ask urself, why did u buy that car in the first place

New laws my friend :)
New laws now don't allow you to drive ANY turbo/supercharged vehicle UNLESS you can obtain an exemption from VicRoads/RTA.
This exemption is only granted on the basis of the vehicle such as safety, 4 seats, low performance turbo'd car etc etc

Type R was based upon the philosophy of Naturally Aspirated, why go and change that philosophy ?
Build another car with the turbo dream but don't ruin the Type R.

That's my opinion... Plus by the way, if that photo becomes reality, it looks pretty shit to me..

aaronng
18-10-2011, 12:50 PM
The new laws allow P platers to drive the turbodiesels such as the Golf 1.6 and 2.0L TDI's. The list of cars are on Vicroad's database which is searchable and very comprehensive. It tells you which car is approved, not allowed and allowed with application for exemption. http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/GetYourPs/RestrictionsOnPs/ProbationaryVehicleDatabase.htm

ringo
18-10-2011, 04:54 PM
At 210hp, that gives it the same power as the Golf GTI. The question will then be whether the Type R is able to beat the GTI in all the other departments, which then turns it into a crapshot since some things will be better and some things will be worse. Heck, even the power deficient XR5T has 222hp!

I'm not Honda, but if it was me and I had to overcome the stigma of a design that looked like the un-sporty FN2R, I'd turn up the wick and aim my power specs towards cars such as the Megane RenaultSport's 250hp. Then it puts the Type R beyond the hot hatch (which is now the warm hatch since even an Aurion will kill it in a straight line) and into the serious hyper-hatch category of the Megane, Golf R and Scirocco R.

Agreed. Moving away from their traditional NA values for what? I'm annoyed. If they were going to go the turbo route, at least they could do it properly. There is some serious competition in the turbo hatch market.

h17am
18-10-2011, 06:42 PM
What's with the hate against turbos.
Turbos are awesome. I think if this thing does ever make production, it'll be so much better than the high revving NA motors.
More and more car companies are now also using turbos instead of NA engines as they need to comply with stricter emission laws.

210hp on an NA and 210hp on a turbo motor is not the same. I'll bet a dollar that the 210hp turbo motor will be much much nicer to drive everyday.
It'll have good torque down low, a more usable power band, etc etc. It's not the peak power you should be concerned with, it's the power under the curve!

I for one am quite sick of having such a highly strung small displacement NA motor. Sure it's nice to beat around the track at 9000revs all day... but drive it down around town and having no power down low sucks big time.
My brother swapped his S2000 for a golf gti and I have to say, that it is an improvement in daily driving. ~280Nm of torque at ~2000rpm, makes it a great car to drive around town.
So I went and got a diesel engined car... now I have 500Nm to play with. Now THAT's nice...

connorling
18-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Ur brother is Erik?

h17am
18-10-2011, 07:09 PM
No erik has an R32, not a GTi

Fredoops
18-10-2011, 09:34 PM
What's with the hate against turbos.
Turbos are awesome. I think if this thing does ever make production, it'll be so much better than the high revving NA motors.
More and more car companies are now also using turbos instead of NA engines as they need to comply with stricter emission laws.

210hp on an NA and 210hp on a turbo motor is not the same. I'll bet a dollar that the 210hp turbo motor will be much much nicer to drive everyday.
It'll have good torque down low, a more usable power band, etc etc. It's not the peak power you should be concerned with, it's the power under the curve!

I for one am quite sick of having such a highly strung small displacement NA motor. Sure it's nice to beat around the track at 9000revs all day... but drive it down around town and having no power down low sucks big time.
My brother swapped his S2000 for a golf gti and I have to say, that it is an improvement in daily driving. ~280Nm of torque at ~2000rpm, makes it a great car to drive around town.
So I went and got a diesel engined car... now I have 500Nm to play with. Now THAT's nice...

We don't hate turbos, at all.
I personally LOVE the RenaultSport Megane Cup Chassis, its gotta be one of the BEST handling car I've ever driven.
I love also the Golf and Polo GTi.

Now, the problem isn't turbo, or drive-ability daily. The problem is Honda, having to resort to FI for their sports range because they've blown all the money into hybrid tech.

Honda having to resort to Forced induction and pretty much the same as Porsche having to resort to building Boxsters back in 1996 using 911 parts.
- it's out of necessity. Because Honda has no answer to the Euro hot hatches with the current part bin.

Remember Advanced-VTEC 5 years ago? It was said to be able to deliver more torque down low and more power up top AND lower emissions. They said it was "production ready for 2007" well turnout to be hot air
Remember direct injection on the Honda Stream? ("i-VTEC i"), back in 2003? not continued, despite the benefits.

I reckon having direct injection coupled with Advanced-VTEC could see Honda N/A's give any turbo a run for their money.

Being a pain in the ass to live with was a part of Type-R heritage tho....

h17am
19-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Resorting to turbo is a necessity indeed.
You may think that a-vtec + direct injection would give turbo motors a run for their money, but Honda probably had looked at it and said:
"Na... screw this... it's too complicated and too expensive. Even if we could make it work, it'll be too expensive to make and sell."

And even if they did make it, the turbo squad isn't going to stand still either, all they'll do is just up the boost a little bit and get even more power.
Then what will Honda do? Put flux capacitors? Invent RA-VVVVtec-i type SR-SiR-VTiSRTi DI FSI-R? What ever that is...

When that happens, Honda's competitors will just go: "meh... let's ummmmm.... up the boost, that'll do it." Then voila... an RA-VVVVTEC-i type SR-SiR-VTiSRTi DI FSI-R killer.

Being a pain in the ass to live with is not something car makers should be proud of imo.

kamishonda
23-10-2011, 09:24 PM
I wanna lick it!!!

shepparton
24-10-2011, 07:21 PM
good thing honda finaly make turbo .. so it will very easy to play with power this time

aero
25-10-2011, 03:10 PM
well if they're not gonna add more power from factory to match the renaults or vw Rs, then i hope it will be much cheaper than them and have the potential for big gains with some aftermarket tuning

sexy_shazam
26-10-2011, 01:02 PM
where does it say it has VTEC engine?? it might have a non-vtec low compression engine to accommodate the turbo, is thats the case, it will have a huge tuning potential

Don't all Honda engines now come with some form of VTEC?

My understanding is that the Civic Type R hatch is built and designed and all in Europe in the Swindon factory right?
What would be the difference if the factory had nothing to do with the car and the entire car was designed, engineered and built in Japan or Thailand?

mugen_ctr
26-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Don't all Honda engines now come with some form of VTEC?

My understanding is that the Civic Type R hatch is built and designed and all in Europe in the Swindon factory right?
What would be the difference if the factory had nothing to do with the car and the entire car was designed, engineered and built in Japan or Thailand?

sure do, infact majority of main stream engines from most manufactures have some form of variable timing simply because it reduces fuel consumption, and odds are they will incorporate the vtec system within there new engine.....
IF it had Direct injection, that would be a bonus.

Fredoops
26-10-2011, 03:14 PM
sure do, infact majority of main stream engines from most manufactures have some form of variable timing simply because it reduces fuel consumption, and odds are they will incorporate the vtec system within there new engine.....
IF it had Direct injection, that would be a bonus.

Like the K23 turbo in the states, it'll have "Vtec" but not in the traditional sense, I read somewhere it's missing some of the VTEC components to accommodate the turbo, hence some people call it "half a VTEC"

Symphorced
27-10-2011, 12:22 AM
ITT: Honda fanboys not accepting reality.

EKVTIR-T
27-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Seems Mitsubishi is going in another direction with the next evo with diesel hybrid

http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-XI-concept.jpg

http://performancedrive.com.au/mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-xi-diesel-hybrid-confirmed-by-2014/

Fredoops
27-10-2011, 06:48 PM
electric motor....
500NM avail from 0 rpm.... go figure.

EVLGTR
27-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Heres something interesting while were on a turbo hatch topic

concept only
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/n/i/nissan_juke_r_01-4e8b85a6a56fd-m,3A610x450.jpg.pagespeed.ce.UsKT5KREJ4.jpg

I dont know if this turbo civic type r could even match it...

"As reported earlier here www.themotorreport.com.au, the R version of the off-the-wall Juke compact SUV is driven by the GT-R's twin-turbo 3.8 litre twin-turbo V6.
In GT-R form, the big turbo six produces 390kW and 612Nm of torque. For the Juke-R, Nissan's engineers have pulled power back to a still impressive 358kW - a good deal more thrust than its normal 1.6 litre engine.
Nissan says it will build two examples of the turbocharged all-wheel-drive Juke-R, one in left-hand-drive and one for the right."

EKVTIR-T
27-10-2011, 07:54 PM
http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Nissan-Juke-R-unveiled.jpg

http://performancedrive.com.au/nissan-juke-r-unveiled-in-full-by-surprise-in-spain/

EVLGTR
27-10-2011, 11:26 PM
^^ Thats the reason why a change in the game is always good. new age boy-racers...

Touge Tom
03-11-2011, 09:49 PM
I gotta feeling it'll work like a turbo mivec. A big cam to get the turbo spoiling in the low revs. And a small cam for the high revs to eliminate valve overlap, so the boost won't just blow out the exhaust port before the exhaust valve closes.

BlitZ
09-11-2011, 07:42 AM
dislike. No thanks.
Rear looks ugly as hell i must say....

Totally agree... Fwd turbo is just gay.
U need the progressive power of an na or at least a supercharger to lay the power down.

Even when u drive a powerful Honda. It will be like driving on lubricant compared to all or rear wheel drive

BlitZ
09-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Honda should just bring back:
1/ LSD
2/ lighter chasis
3/ high revs
4/ cornering ability

All this is lost..

Maybe byp can do a k24 swap for u if u buy this turbo version? Strip it down maybe too?

Touge Tom
09-11-2011, 08:51 AM
U need the progressive power of an na or at least a supercharger to lay the power down.

Even when u drive a powerful Honda. It will be like driving on lubricant compared to all or rear wheel drive
are you serious? i drive a positive displacement supercharged b20vtec in a dc2 and the low down torque from idle is KY jelly X 10. s/c is too much torque too early, but you gotta have the taste for it. or did you mean a centrifugal supercharger?

jonnyfoxx
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
hott!

HONTUNE
10-11-2011, 05:38 PM
First ever Honda turbo car?
Honda city pro-t?

Fredoops
10-11-2011, 07:18 PM
First ever Honda turbo car?
Honda city pro-t?

And Acura ZDX...

BlitZ
11-11-2011, 12:31 PM
are you serious? i drive a positive displacement supercharged b20vtec in a dc2 and the low down torque from idle is KY jelly X 10. s/c is too much torque too early, but you gotta have the taste for it. or did you mean a centrifugal supercharger?

but its all relative to the power of the turbo and/or supercharger..

Supercharger will be may more predicatble through a corner and is controlled by your foot..

Whereas turbo... god knows that happens mid corner

Touge Tom
11-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah, all relative to throttle position.

aaronng
11-11-2011, 04:46 PM

The turbos used on todays modern cars are usually variable vane which don't have the issue of spooling up. No more turbo lag, so it is actually just as progressive as a tuned NA engine.

And Acura ZDX...
Acura RDX. The ZDX uses an NA J37 engine.

WATAJK
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
ITT: Honda fanboys not accepting reality.

Yup.

N/A is there heritage, stick to what you know best.
I see this car having major mechanical problems, sorry to say guys.
Hope im wrong

blk_shadow
12-11-2011, 08:50 PM
should've been built with Mugen Supercharger instead, if they really want to go boost.

liberx
12-11-2011, 09:06 PM
To everyone who's crying into their milk over Honda going Turbo (or maybe supercharged): there are only 2 options for Honda. Either make performance cars with forced induction, or don't do performance cars at all.

Stricter emissions standards simply do not allow for NA high outputs as Honda has produced in the past. Yes, that is the Type-R heritage, no there is no future in it. Honda has to move on - and by hopefully applying the same engineering standards as in the past, they can do a kick arse car and redefine the Type-R badge along the way.

Hell, look at BMW with the M3. Started out 2.5 four cylinder, then went screaming six, then V8. Now they have to go back to 6 cylinder Turbo (next model). Similar story with M5 - have to go from V10 to V8 Turbo. Same reason.

If Ford, Renault and VW can do Turbo FWD that can get power down and handle brilliantly then I'm pretty confident Honda can do the same. Whether they will or not is another question. I at least want Honda to give it a crack and stop disadvantaging themselves by not using turbo or supercharging, direct injection, revo-knuckles, LSD or any other technology of clear benefit for the sake of heritage or whatever other excuse anyone can think of.

I just want Honda to pull their finger out.

Touge Tom
13-11-2011, 06:14 PM
this would be great if they actually do this and stop talking bout it? a great tuning base to begin with. high flow filter and cat with 3'inch ex-system and a reflash job done!

IV73CI
15-11-2011, 01:21 PM
hopefully there will be a full FMIC ..like seen in the factory turbo cars nowadays ..

then that will allow ppl to unleash the dragon/power by reflashing or changing the EMS for its full potential.

wonder if they will come forged pistons as well? and an in-dash boost gauge etc ...

i guess only time will tell.

we'd be lucky to even get this in Aust ... lol

Stevil
02-06-2012, 08:44 AM
hhhmm...interesting, looks like we wont have to wait too much longer. This development mule was spotted near Nurburgring !! obviously not the real exterior, I hope !!

http://www.caradvice.com.au/175303/honda-civic-type-r-mule-spy-photos/

http://madmick3006.com/ahngallery/upload/files/2012-06/037af346.jpg

HmGLuCaS
06-06-2012, 07:27 PM
keen to see what honda makes of the turbo, hopefully useful. The styling reminds of the fn2 just more redefined, but over imo ugly. :D

Foxx
24-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Turbo in a honda = DUMB

And car itself looks ugly

iijjee
26-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Does anyone remember how the turbo Honda engine went in F1 back in 1987 - Prost and Senna's day??

Not too shabby...

Six cylinders - 1450cc - 14000rpm - and umm... ample power - around 1050hp!

They know how and don't be surprised if the capacity is less than 1800cc...

Fredoops
26-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Does anyone remember how the turbo Honda engine went in F1 back in 1987 - Prost and Senna's day??

Not too shabby...

Six cylinders - 1450cc - 14000rpm - and umm... ample power - around 1050hp!

They know how and don't be surprised if the capacity is less than 1800cc...

F1 engine =\= road going

We already know it's 1600 -1800 cc ish (leaning more to 1600cc)
the only other petrol turbo car honda has is a K23 on Acura's

blk_shadow
06-07-2012, 07:59 AM
they are bringing out the GT300 CRZ with hybrid 2.8L V6 twin Turbo

DC2-PWR
20-07-2012, 03:45 PM
An article (http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/19/new-honda-civic-type-r-approved/) came up yesturday regarding new civic type r is approved

Also says
If the report is to be believed, the next CTR will not have the naturally aspirated K20 VTEC engine pointing the way – that motor's lack of compliance with Euro emissions regulations being the reason the Civic Type R was discontinued. The Auto Express report predicts a 210-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder developed by Mugen – that would be up 12 horsepower from the 2010 model, but down 46 horses on the limited edition Type R tuned by Mugen that was "a tribute to the Honda K20" engine and part of the last model's run. It's said the 2013 will feature a stop/start system and a six-speed manual

Tuned by Mugen say what!!

aaronng
20-07-2012, 03:55 PM
An article (http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/19/new-honda-civic-type-r-approved/) came up yesturday regarding new civic type r is approved

Also says
If the report is to be believed, the next CTR will not have the naturally aspirated K20 VTEC engine pointing the way – that motor's lack of compliance with Euro emissions regulations being the reason the Civic Type R was discontinued. The Auto Express report predicts a 210-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder developed by Mugen – that would be up 12 horsepower from the 2010 model, but down 46 horses on the limited edition Type R tuned by Mugen that was "a tribute to the Honda K20" engine and part of the last model's run. It's said the 2013 will feature a stop/start system and a six-speed manual

Tuned by Mugen say what!!

I'm disappointed by the power output, especially from a 2.0 L turbo engine. Hate to say this, but I'd prefer Ford's 2.0 L ecoboost engine which makes 177 kW in the Ford Escape or 188 kW in the Focus ST.

Fredoops
20-07-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm disappointed by the power output, especially from a 2.0 L turbo engine. Hate to say this, but I'd prefer Ford's 2.0 L ecoboost engine which makes 177 kW in the Ford Escape or 188 kW in the Focus ST.
Or 221kw out of a Alfa 1.8 liter.

What Vtec, Multi-air now

Ps: somewhat it's tuned by mugen? When was the last time Mugen mass produced forced induction parts?

hphillip
22-07-2012, 06:21 PM
looks nice - positive change from current shape.

Turbo motor will divide the purists!

HondaTurboVtec
28-07-2012, 08:38 PM
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/54265/its-back-2013-honda-civic-type-r-spied-testing-in-europe confirmed Civic Type R!

Stevil
25-09-2012, 07:48 PM
The Honda Civic Type-R is officially back.

Honda CEO Takanobu Ito confirmed the return of the hot-hatch cult hero during a mid-year speech this afternoon, in which he outlined the Japanese manufacturer’s direction for the next decade.

Ito said Honda aimed to launch the new Civic Type-R by 2015, as his company sought to “fulfil customer expectations” of a new performance hatchback.

“With the application of technologies which will be cultivated through participation in WTCC (World Touring Car Championship) starting this year, the all-new Civic Type-R is being developed with the goal of becoming the fastest front-wheel drive vehicle on the Nurburgring race course,” he said.

The revelation that the new model will draw on technology from WTCC almost certainly confirms the fourth-generation Civic Type-R will be powered by a turbocharged engine.

Honda’s WTCC race cars are powered by 1.6-litre direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engines – a configuration that is expected to carry over into the production model.

The decision to embrace a forced induction powerplant would represent a significant shift in Honda’s ideology, with the brand historically priding itself on its high-revving naturally aspirated engines.

The trend of engine downsizing and turbocharging is widespread throughout the automotive industry, as manufacturers pursue the desirable combination of high power and torque outputs and low fuel consumption.

Honda was forced to stop production of the previous-generation Civic Type-R because its naturally aspirated 2.0-litre engine failed to meet a number of countries’ emissions regulations.

CarAdvice’s spy photographers snapped a Civic Type-R mule with a large rear wing undergoing testing at the Nurburgring in June, suggesting that development of the all-new hot-hatch is already underway.

To achieve their goal of making the new Type-R the fastest front-wheel drive car around the Nurburgring, Honda’s engineers will have to at least better the time set by the 195kW/360Nm turbocharged Renault Megane RS265, which lapped the famous 20.8km Nordschleife circuit in 8 minutes 7.79 seconds late last year.

The Honda Civic Type-R will be produced alongside the standard Civic hatchback at Honda’s plant in Swindon, UK.

http://madmick3006.com/ahngallery/upload/files/2012-09/3ba98447.jpg

Fredoops
25-09-2012, 08:04 PM
heard this is due out 2015, and Renault set the record back in 2011....

Stevil
25-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Haha why are they taking so long ?? FFS !

Rado
26-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Good news but good luck with the record! By then surely Renault will release another Megane haha

PHO
26-09-2012, 05:35 PM
heard this is due out 2015, and Renault set the record back in 2011....

lol you a renault lover or some shit? lmzooo

Thats like saying nissan in 2002 wanting the R35 gtr to beat the 911 when its finally released in 2008/9 when they already held it in 2002 or whatever blah blah blah.

Called a goal mate.

Also, nur might not even exist in '15. so *shrugs*

Fredoops
26-09-2012, 06:15 PM
lol you a renault lover or some shit? lmzooo

Thats like saying nissan in 2002 wanting the R35 gtr to beat the 911 when its finally released in 2008/9 when they already held it in 2002 or whatever blah blah blah.

Called a goal mate.

Also, nur might not even exist in '15. so *shrugs*
Without Renault and Carlos Ghosn there would be no R35 GTR. The French CEO of Nissan-Renault drove that project from brink of cancellation, your beloved JDM is 1/2 French.

I'm not a Renault lover, and certainly no *fanboi* of any brand. I'm just someone with a memory and some perspective of what happens when Honda sets a 5 year goal

Aryan Senna's car in the late 80 early 90's. "To rival and beat Ferrari", then the F355 came out....

The new generation NSX... V10 to V8 to cancelled, revived and became an American Acura hybrid.

CRZ - spiritual successor of the Crx, the SPORT hybrid... guess we all know how that turned out.

History. It doesn't lie does it. Honda has a tendency to underdeliver when they speak of the world and blow your mind away when they don't promise anything.

PHO
26-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Understood.

DreadAngel
26-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Pretty sure the Trophy/Cup versions that are usually used by the Euro makers boast semi-race spec brakes and tires, etc?

I know Type-R hardware usually quite good but can't top that =P

Fredoops
26-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Pretty sure the Trophy/Cup versions that are usually used by the Euro makers boast semi-race spec brakes and tires, etc?

I know Type-R hardware usually quite good but can't top that =P

Honda can beat them if they put in the type of effort they put in the FD2R.

But I have doubts tho, since this next CTR seems to be a Honda Europe product.

DreadAngel
26-09-2012, 11:06 PM
That's true... BM FD2R v R26R v Cooper Works (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZBBf6S9gpY)

Honda Europe so I'd expect more FN2R erm, issues lol

Fredoops
26-09-2012, 11:36 PM
That's true... BM FD2R v R26R v Cooper Works (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZBBf6S9gpY)

Honda Europe so I'd expect more FN2R erm, issues lol

Jesus that FD2R was a handful to drive.

That Renault... sweet lord.... little yellow turd just darts outta the corner.

heres another one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjeQp6YkPUw

DreadAngel
28-09-2012, 04:36 AM
Yeah man, the FD2R gave Keiichi a workout, not surprised at the Renault Megane R26R being so damn fast...

Just look at the specs of it! Just think of it like the Megane R26 ---> R26R like the 911 GT3 ---> GT3 RS... All sorts of crazy weight reduction, semi-race spec parts, etc... BM didn't show what specs that R26R was, there was the option of having Toyo R888 on it, I suspect though it had only the standard Michelin PS2...

Still FD2R, not much chance against a 2L Turbo car that lighter, has more peak power and torque which also comes in earlier in the rev range.

Clio 197 Sport was it? Not really surprised it upstaged the FN2R...

integraR
08-03-2013, 02:30 PM
links : http://www.themotorreport.com.au/56107/new-civic-type-r-to-make-at-least-200kw-225-in-sights-report

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/content/image/h/o/honda_civic_wtcc_01-0308-450x240.jpg

Vvvtec
09-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Honda have also, begun working on a new 1.6L turbo motor for the new F1 regulations coming into effect next year.

Hopefully with their involvement in F1 again, Honda will introduce some of the old 'sportiness" back into their lineup.

infurNOS
09-03-2013, 02:03 PM
All Wheel Drive - nice!!

Vvvtec
09-03-2013, 02:18 PM
All Wheel steering - nice!!

Faxed

infurNOS
09-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Faxed

yea thanks...

Rage King
05-07-2013, 04:33 PM
time to start saving up those "traffic lights window cleaning income" and imma buy one of these :P

carayan
19-11-2013, 01:39 PM
http://motoring.ninemsn.com.au/cars/news/8757798/driven-all-new-honda-civic-type-r