PDA

View Full Version : Civic Ej8 Oil Disappears and then reappears

mattsrea
07-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Hey guys i've serviced my EJ8 8000kms ago and recently checked the oil and found out that there is no oil when i used the Dipstick. I checked for any leaks and it all seems to be fine so i assume the guy who serviced my car forgot to put oil or some shit so i put 3L of Geniune Honda Oil in. I checked it again the next morning and found out that i overloaded the oil so i assume its the old oil plus the 3L i just put in. Does anybody know the cause of this? Thanks.

[daan]
07-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Hmm. 8000 Ks ago seems like you're due to change it anyway. Drain it, put on a new filter and put in
Some fresh oil just to be sure

jeremydawg
07-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Overfilling your car is very bad, i hope you have drained the excess?

When and where did you check your oil? It is best to check your oil when the car is cool and on straight/level surface. Checking in the morning before you start your car would be a good time to check

trism
07-10-2011, 11:42 AM
you dunno how much is in there, so you're prob better off just doing an oil/filter change now.

logical
07-10-2011, 11:51 AM
On the offchance check your dipstick to make sure it ain't broke...

Sorta had the same issue with my car and found out the dipstick was broke. The stopper bit kept sliding up and down everytime I went to check it, thus giving me false readings.

vtecing
07-10-2011, 02:51 PM
so did you constantly check ur oil level as you put the new oil in, or did you just decide to pour 3L in because you assumed it was completely empty????

mattsrea
07-10-2011, 10:36 PM
so did you constantly check ur oil level as you put the new oil in, or did you just decide to pour 3L in because you assumed it was completely empty????

i assumed it was empty from my dipstick readings, but i drained out the oil and replaced the filter now. The oil was pitch black and there was 5 Litres of oil in the engine :O so i assume the service guy only chucked in 2 Litres =\
But yeah it runs okay now, took it for a test drive, and heard some squeaking noises when i rev the car above 4000 RPM, is that normal? My dad suspects the timing belt is loose and requires tightening but i'm not entirely sure.

jeremydawg
07-10-2011, 10:42 PM
theres supposed to be 4litres of oil in your car.

If you took it to a mechanic for a service i seriously doubt he wouldve only put 2litres in. Check to see if you have an oil leak or try using a different oil.

As for squeeking, sounds like one of your belts are slipping.

mattsrea
07-10-2011, 11:12 PM
theres supposed to be 4litres of oil in your car.

If you took it to a mechanic for a service i seriously doubt he wouldve only put 2litres in. Check to see if you have an oil leak or try using a different oil.

As for squeeking, sounds like one of your belts are slipping.

I checked and there were no leaks, i'll check it again in another week or 2 just filled fresh oil and engine treatment.
And to fix the squeeking noise, do i have to tighten up te timing belt or do i have to do the whole realligning and everything again?

jeremydawg
08-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Well it could be one of your fan belts so firstly try to figure out which belt is loose or slipping

What i suggest you do is check your belts for stripped teeth or cracked worn surface. If this is the case with your timing belt park your car and dont drive it, get yourself a new belt, tensioner and water pump and replace them asap. You can do severe engine damage if your belt fails.

In order to tighten your Timing belt you must:
-remove 2x 12mm bolts holding timing belt cover on.
-loosen(but dont remove) 14mm nut for tensioner.
-use 19mm socket to turn crank pulley bolt counterclockwise until you see that the cam gears have rotated 3 teeth.
-tighten 14mm tensioner nut
-at this point you can check the tension by twisting it (Your belt should not bend no more or no less than 90 degrees when tightened properly)
-replace cover

In order to make sure you have the right timing see this video:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4978634_timing-belt-tension-revolve-engine.html

And more instructions on how to tighten your timing belt:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2175978_adjust-timing-belt.html

I would not suggest however doing this unless you are mechanically competent.

When was the last time your belt was replaced? if you know.

mattsrea
08-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Well it could be one of your fan belts so firstly try to figure out which belt is loose or slipping

What i suggest you do is check your belts for stripped teeth or cracked worn surface. If this is the case with your timing belt park your car and dont drive it, get yourself a new belt, tensioner and water pump and replace them asap. You can do severe engine damage if your belt fails.

In order to tighten your Timing belt you must:
-remove 2x 12mm bolts holding timing belt cover on.
-loosen(but dont remove) 14mm nut for tensioner.
-use 19mm socket to turn crank pulley bolt counterclockwise until you see that the cam gears have rotated 3 teeth.
-tighten 14mm tensioner nut
-at this point you can check the tension by twisting it (Your belt should not bend no more or no less than 90 degrees when tightened properly)
-replace cover

In order to make sure you have the right timing see this video:
http://www.ehow.com/video_4978634_timing-belt-tension-revolve-engine.html

And more instructions on how to tighten your timing belt:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2175978_adjust-timing-belt.html

I would not suggest however doing this unless you are mechanically competent.

When was the last time your belt was replaced? if you know.

I'm not sure which belt it is however my dad thinks its the timing belt, what are the symptoms other then the squeeking noise is for a loose/slipping timing belt and a fan belt? I appreciate your help jeremydawg.

jeremydawg
08-10-2011, 09:26 AM
no worries.

The main symptoms would be that squeeking noise, and worn timing belt. Have a look at your belts and make sure no teeth are missing.

It may also be your belt tensioner. When your tensioner is worn it can also make a squeeking/screeching noise, other symptoms are sudden changes in rpm, rattling or knocking noise when you accelerate or start your car. Theres no way to check the bearings of your tensioner that is why when people change the timing belt they change the tensioner at the same time.
Does this squeeking occur mainly when you change gear?

Another symptom for a poor timing belt is when your driving your car turns off and youve snapped your belt. I believe d16's are an "interference" engine (someone correct me if im wrong). So when your belt snaps you will most probably bend your valves and do some bad damage!

Perhaps take it to a mechanic and ask if he can find the source of the noise, if you are unable to do so yourself. :D

mattsrea
08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
no worries.

The main symptoms would be that squeeking noise, and worn timing belt. Have a look at your belts and make sure no teeth are missing.

It may also be your belt tensioner. When your tensioner is worn it can also make a squeeking/screeching noise, other symptoms are sudden changes in rpm, rattling or knocking noise when you accelerate or start your car. Theres no way to check the bearings of your tensioner that is why when people change the timing belt they change the tensioner at the same time.
Does this squeeking occur mainly when you change gear?

Another symptom for a poor timing belt is when your driving your car turns off and youve snapped your belt. I believe d16's are an "interference" engine (someone correct me if im wrong). So when your belt snaps you will most probably bend your valves and do some bad damage!

Perhaps take it to a mechanic and ask if he can find the source of the noise, if you are unable to do so yourself. :D

Oh i see, when i'm driving i can't hear the squeek noise but when i pop up my bonnet, and rev the car and as the car goes back to idle, i hear a squeeky noise. Also when i change gear, its perfectly normal. Only when i rev the car to approx 4000+ RPM is where it makes that rattling/squeeking noise.

jeremydawg
08-10-2011, 07:11 PM
ah ok. Well just take it down to the mechanic and see what he finds. Im putting money on the tensioner :D. Who knows it might not even be anything serious at all!

Good luck!

mattsrea
08-10-2011, 11:10 PM
ah ok. Well just take it down to the mechanic and see what he finds. Im putting money on the tensioner :D. Who knows it might not even be anything serious at all!

Good luck!

Alright man thanks alot for your help!! I'll let you know on the verdict :)

dougie_504
09-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Did you check the oil level when warm or cold?

D16Y1 only takes 3.3L or oil and even at the bottom of the dip stick there's still quite a lot in the engine (not zero oil) but not enough to be safe/sufficient.

mattsrea
09-10-2011, 03:52 PM

D16Y1 only takes 3.3L or oil and even at the bottom of the dip stick there's still quite a lot in the engine (not zero oil) but not enough to be safe/sufficient.

Yeah i did, i just changed the oil and filter so hopefully it'll be okay now lol. Thanks for your help dougie_504

jeremydawg
09-10-2011, 06:20 PM

oopsy, i got ej8 mixed up with em1 again! i was thinking b16 so 4L oil :-/ ...apologies