PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers

Vamos
16-02-2005, 10:32 AM
Anyone had any experience using wheel spacers? Are they effective? or totally unnecessary.

heist
16-02-2005, 10:35 AM
that do u mean by wheel spacers? like the little rings u put on the hubs?

Weq
16-02-2005, 10:56 AM
spacers are pretty dangerous, although i bet every car that goes through tempe tyres runs em. are u talking about hubcentric space3rs (around the hub nuts) or ones that go in between the hub and wheel mating surface?

joyride
16-02-2005, 11:00 AM
those other ones are called bolt-on spacers. they give you extra track width.
both types of spacers are illegal for road use.

SINISTR
16-02-2005, 11:49 AM
those other ones are called bolt-on spacers. they give you extra track width.
both types of spacers are illegal for road use.

why do you say the centering rings are illegal?

I understand the ones that offset the wheel are - but the rings you put into the wheel I believe to be allowable.they allow the wheel to sit tigher around the hub and stop possible vibration.

Spacers are Illegal, because you're setting the wheel out by a cm or something while your wheel bolts are still thesame length, therefore when the wheel is put back on it has a much shorter holding surface.

heist
16-02-2005, 11:54 AM
well when i had my spacers in ly lug nuts would come undone....i think i snapped about 3 of them before i figured out what was going on...i havent had a prob since...i hate them

DLO01
16-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Spacers are Illegal, because you're setting the wheel out by a cm or something while your wheel bolts are still thesame length, therefore when the wheel is put back on it has a much shorter holding surface.
Also puts more load on you wheel bearings, because the wheel is out further.

DLO01
16-02-2005, 11:59 AM
well when i had my spacers in ly lug nuts would come undone....i think i snapped about 3 of them before i figured out what was going on...i havent had a prob since...i hate them
Good enough reason why not to use them... :thumbdwn:

joyride
16-02-2005, 12:03 PM
why do you say the centering rings are illegal?

I understand the ones that offset the wheel are - but the rings you put into the wheel I believe to be allowable.they allow the wheel to sit tigher around the hub and stop possible vibration.

from my understanding, both types of spacers need to be welded onto the hub to pass inspection..

Vamos
16-02-2005, 02:46 PM
ahh ok fair enough. yeh i wasn't sure if they were illegal or not. I was talking bout the ones between the hub and wheel mating surface