PDA

View Full Version : cheap DIY remove dent?

thanhyo
09-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Hi guys,

been looking around for cheap alternative ways of removing dents.. Just wondering if anyone has tried the following with success :)

1. Hair Dryer + compressed air
2. Suction Mabob.. - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Suction-Cup-Dent-Puller-Remover-Glass-Locking-Carrier-/120695669301?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1a05c235#ht_3526wt_1139
3. plunger - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2OrKiunneM&feature=related

manolii
10-10-2011, 12:01 AM
if theres no paint damage you could use dry ice. ive heard from a number of people that said it works.

Bulbasaur
10-10-2011, 12:21 AM
there not using compressed air, there actually using dry ice in a can. i dont think we have those for sale in australia, only in the solid form. dont know about the suction or plunger method since i dont think they really work that well but hairdryer/heatgun and dry ice combo has its downfall. after the dent has been fixed if the surface is exposed to high tempretures again they tend to start concaving again. also the suction products suck. dad had this suction roof rack thing from k-mart a while back ago. shit did not work... AT ALL

czzz
10-10-2011, 09:48 AM
lolss..

tiksie
10-10-2011, 02:45 PM
You can get a "suction-ma-bob" that is used with an air compressor, they're not bad depending on how big the dent is.

With these products, the bigger and more oval the dent is, the more successful they are.

If it is small un-even dents, then you will most probably need to get them pulled if they're not on a removable panel.

Do you have pictures of the dent ?

fillit
10-10-2011, 09:45 PM
there not using compressed air, there actually using dry ice in a can. i dont think we have those for sale in australia, only in the solid form. dont know about the suction or plunger method since i dont think they really work that well but hairdryer/heatgun and dry ice combo has its downfall. after the dent has been fixed if the surface is exposed to high tempretures again they tend to start concaving again. also the suction products suck. dad had this suction roof rack thing from k-mart a while back ago. shit did not work... AT ALL

You can purchase them anywhere, dick smith, big w, officeworks, if you spray the can upside down it released a cold formula which with heat reshapes the metal.. it works so long as it the surface area isn't creased. ( yes i have actually done it before )

RAD
14-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Nope, it's just trade jokes praying on peoples wishful thinking for simple solutions to problems.

By trade i'm a paintless dent doctor, usually when i unpack the tools at a customers house, their disappointed there's no "dent sucker" machine, or dry ice to magically pop dents out.

Suction cups can "improve" some large dents, but usually the outer edges are held in with pressure in the panel. If you forcefully try to pull the dent out without releasing this pressure, you can potentially lock the dent up, or "oil can" the dent to where it simply falls back down the minute you touch it. At this point it's either an old-school panel beater that can shrink metal, or panel replacement.

Dry ice/Compressed air and hair-dryers work on about 1% of larger dents. The dents have to be so large, and so shallow, you could nearly "pop" it back out with a light open handed slap. As Bulbasaur mentioned, it relies on thermal expansion and contraction, often they fall back down.
The severe change in temperatue can also fracture the paintwork.

Hope that helps :)

tiksie
15-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Nope, it's just trade jokes praying on peoples wishful thinking for simple solutions to problems.

By trade i'm a paintless dent doctor, usually when i unpack the tools at a customers house, their disappointed there's no "dent sucker" machine, or dry ice to magically pop dents out.

Suction cups can "improve" some large dents, but usually the outer edges are held in with pressure in the panel. If you forcefully try to pull the dent out without releasing this pressure, you can potentially lock the dent up, or "oil can" the dent to where it simply falls back down the minute you touch it. At this point it's either an old-school panel beater that can shrink metal, or panel replacement.

Dry ice/Compressed air and hair-dryers work on about 1% of larger dents. The dents have to be so large, and so shallow, you could nearly "pop" it back out with a light open handed slap. As Bulbasaur mentioned, it relies on thermal expansion and contraction, often they fall back down.
The severe change in temperatue can also fracture the paintwork.

Hope that helps :)

So if they don't work, what does ?

RAD
15-10-2011, 03:10 PM
A set of these: http://www.diseno-art.com/images_2/paintless_dent_removal_tools.jpg

But for everyone else, if you can get behind the panel, you can use a spoon or a screwdriver handle, and gently push the center of the dent using several small pushes. But that will only work on small carpark dings, and small hail dents. You'll probably only "improve" them or get them out 70%. Chance of cracking paint if your too fast/impatient.

Can't make any recommendations on large dents, would do more harm then good.