PDA

View Full Version : Bearing play - wheel wobbling a lot.

sebtoombs
12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Hey guys, so I only just recently got my car going again after one of the driveshafts dieing, and while I was waiting for the new one, I decided to upgrade all the brakes with the ones off my EK4 wreck. This included replacing the steering knuckle/hub assembly as well. After about 40kms, during some highway driving, a wobble and loud noise started in the front right wheel. I had to drive on it for about 30 more km to get it home, and it got a fair bit worse. So I got the front of the car up, had a look, couldn't find anything, so I started it up and noticed that the wheel was visibly wobbling. Checked that it was all mounted correctly, took it all off checked mounting faces, put it back together and it still happens.

So I grabbed the top and bottom of the wheel and was able to sort of rock it. Tried the other side, firm as. So I had a look at the edge of the bearing while I was doing this and sure enough, its pretty loose in there.

For example, if this was the bearing, it is rotating about the Z axis by a few degrees in both directions. Such that the Y axis (relative to the bearing) would become Y'.
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m506/seb_1212/bearingplay.png

Now I suppose it needs replacing? Or is there a way to secure it in there?
I happen to have the old knuckle/hub assembly still, and the bearings in there are perfect. Would they fit? (Note: old ones off a EG8, 94 gli sedan. new ones: 96 ek4 vtir hatch). And does anyone know how to do it? I've been looking around, but haven't found a great description yet. Nor have I dived into the service manual.

Help would be appreciated very much...

Cheers,
Seb

mocchi
12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
need few tools.
a press, bearing removal tool to remove inner race and some piping to press bearing in/out.
if its wobbling like that, yea needs a replacing.

check service manual, it says how to do it.

chargeR
12-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you didn't do up the hub nut correctly perhaps? Did you stake in the hub nut to stop it coming undone? The bearing sounds like it is toast anyway, and I wouldn't reuse an old hub and bearing, and I have always preferred to replace both the hub and bearing at the same time. I did just the wheel bearing once and it didn't last.

sebtoombs
12-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah the nuts done up right. I just went and rotated it slowly and it sounds like its fiarly rooted in there. Like rolling marbles around. Sort of grinding. Yeah I'll have to stick a new one in there. Cheers for the help people.

stndrd
12-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Sounds like you didn't do up the hub nut correctly perhaps? Did you stake in the hub nut to stop it coming undone? The bearing sounds like it is toast anyway, and I wouldn't reuse an old hub and bearing, and I have always preferred to replace both the hub and bearing at the same time. I did just the wheel bearing once and it didn't last.

mocchi raises a valid point about the hub. if the bearing has worn excessively, it can eat away into the hub and if this has occured, you will need both a new hub & bearing. if you are replacing the wheel bearing yourself, i would recommend getting a qualified mechanic to inspect the hub with the bearing out and get them to check for any runout or obvious signs of excessive wear in the bearing tube

sebtoombs
14-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Hey, cheers for that, good bit of advice. I'm going to take the whole knuckle assembly in to my mechanic (first time ever) and see what he thinks. Normally I would do it myself, but I don't have time at the moment what with uni exams in a week.