PDA

View Full Version : SOLVED - OBDII Fail, car wont start... Help please!

Simmoyo
12-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Hey guys.. I was trying to be smart by ordering a 3 pin to 16 pin OBDII adapter from ebay (check link below). The adapter had a 12v red and black cable which I hooked up to the battery, and bang my cheap OBDII bluetooth adapter turned on. I chopped off the plastic surrounding the 3 pin connector on the adapter and plugged that into the 3 pin DLC of my 2000 S2000. There was a spark and thats when I knew I F'ed it up.

The key turns the dash on as usual, push the start button and the engine just turns, BUT the car wont start, the engine just keeps turning. I checked the fuses under the drivers seat and next to the battery and they all look good.

BUT MY CAR WONT START! Please help

**EDIT** To sum up my problem, I basically put a 12v current down one or more wires connected to the 3 pin DLC plug

Hey guys.. my car obviously has a 3 pin DLC connector and I wanted to hook up a 16pin OBDII reader, even though I knew there was a 99% chance it would not work.

I ordered a 3 pin to 16 pin OBDII adapter from ebay (check link below). The adapter has a 12v red and black cable which I hooked up to the battery, and bang it powered my cheap OBDII bluetooth adapter and it turned on. I then connected the adapter into the 3 pin DLC of my 2000 S2000. There was a spark and thats when I knew I F'ed it up. When I trying to plug it in again there was no spark so I knew I blew something.

Now, after its all unplugged, the key turns the dash on as usual, but when I try to start the engine, it just keeps turning, and the car just wont start. I checked the fuses under the drivers seat and next to the battery and they all look good.

MY CAR STILL WONT START! Please help

To sum up my problem, I basically put a 12v current down one or more wires connected to the 3 pin DLC plug

........ check fuses with more than your eye

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280673918107?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_3143wt_952

dc2r-0636
12-10-2011, 05:55 PM
hmmm,

do you have an alarm on the car ? possibly immobilizer isnt letting the car turn over ?

VeYzZii
12-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Simon, you inboxed me earlier didn't you? Theres no OBDII for S2000s in Australia. It only powered up because its getting power. DO you remember what sparked? Which pin?

Simmoyo
12-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I know, I'm stubborn lol my bad. I think the middle pin sparked. It happened when I plugged the adapter into the 3 pin socket. The car has no after market alarm system or immobilizer

VeYzZii
12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
I know, I'm stubborn lol. I think the middle pin sparked. The car has no after market alarm system or immobilizer

Unplug the battery. Wait a couple of minutes. Meanwhile, check the fuses near the battery. Theres a little coompartments. Its where your main fuse is. Then plug battery back in and try to start.

Simmoyo
12-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Thanks VeYzZii!! I will be back

Simmoyo
12-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Didnt work... I know I blew something because when I tried to plug the adapter in for the second time it didnt spark, so the damage was done.

What could I have damaged? The backup 7.5amp ECU fuse is fine

Simmoyo
12-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Its not a fuse so it could be a relay. Any Ideas?

Worst case scenario I think I'll need a new ECU. Is anyone selling a good aftermarket one?

Thanks

VeYzZii
12-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Yea dude. Check all the fuses over again. Maybe you missed one. Maybe check the fuel pump relay?

Simmoyo
12-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah I'm looking for the fuel pump relay but I cant find the bastard!... when I find it i'll swap it with another one of same specification and see if it fixes it. There are 2 relays under the drivers seat if I'm not mistaken but they are not labelled and are hard to get out.

Looks like public transport to work tomorrow lol. thanks VeYzZii

AusS2000
13-10-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't think there are any relays under the seat. There is a relay box thing under the dash that controls the fuel pump. If this turns out to be the culprit let me know. I have a spare. Not cheap though. cost me $100 and took 3 weeks from Japan.

Simmoyo
13-10-2011, 01:40 PM
thanks Aus... Are you talking about those 2 small black boxes next to all the fuses?

Do you know where the ignition control management (ICM) system is? I may have blown that

AusS2000
13-10-2011, 02:14 PM
No, the PGM-FI Main Relay.

http://s2000.byteserve.com.au/images/PGM-FIMainRelay.png

It connects to the PGM-FI diagnostic port that you plugged into and it is responsible for controlling the fuel pump.

Simmoyo
13-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys, it turns out it was a fuse.. however you couldn't tell just by looking at it. I had to test every fuse in the car with a home made fuse tester. Sorry about all the fuss, I shat myself and the problem was where I first looked! Thanks Aus, thanks guys!! the chariot lives

beeza
13-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Nice find.

But why couldn't U tell,was it fully encased fuse?

Can I ask about this homemade fuse tester too?

Sounds interesting.

Simmoyo
13-10-2011, 07:56 PM
No, it was a normal transparent fuse however it must have blown on the side or somewhere that wasn't obvious under average lighting conditions. I had pulled it out twice and couldn't see anything before. A proper fuse tester is a pretty important tool as I've just learned

beeza
14-10-2011, 10:56 AM
kool as mate,cheers.

Simmoyo
14-10-2011, 05:52 PM
I took the 2 long sharp probes from a cheap voltmeter, hooked them to a battery pack and an LED, then probed both sides where the metal is exposed on each fuse, if the LED didn't turn on, then its effed

beeza
15-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Too easy!