PDA

View Full Version : 6 months or 10,000 km's service

lf9888
14-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi All,

I have my odyssey for 6 months now and only clocked up 3500 kms.
Should i have it service now becouse honda stated that 6 months/10,000 kms service whichever comes first.Or should i wait when it reach the 10,000 kms?

Just want to know what you guys opinion on this? Cheers

bennjamin
14-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Its one or the other.

Why ? Because in 6 months , the engine oil probably would begin to break down , hence the need for change. Also its good to get in a routine dont you think ? By the time you clock over 10,000kms - on average it would take you almost 1.5 years. Thats too long for a oil change in a japanese car IMO

evolution
14-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I service mine every 6 months regardless of milage. Might change some parts based on milage depending on what it is.

stndrd
14-10-2011, 07:18 PM
personally i would say do at least 5,000km before changing the oil, even if you do go over the 6 month mark. modern oils (semi & full synthetic) are designed to last between 6 & 9 months on average. i have seen a couple of odyssey's and euro's that have snapped rocker arms due to poor oil service history. after about the 9 month mark, the molecular structure will break down and if the oil is not changed, will start to create a layer of sludge in all the oil passages & cylinder head. this layer of sludge will over time, cause rocker arms to seize up and eventually snap, cause oil pump pick up issues and a whole range of other problems. the modern engine will fail in less than 100,000km if regular oil changes are not maintained and repair costs can end up costing thousands all because oil maintenance was overlooked.

lf9888
15-10-2011, 06:38 AM
personally i would say do at least 5,000km before changing the oil, even if you do go over the 6 month mark. modern oils (semi & full synthetic) are designed to last between 6 & 9 months on average. i have seen a couple of odyssey's and euro's that have snapped rocker arms due to poor oil service history. after about the 9 month mark, the molecular structure will break down and if the oil is not changed, will start to create a layer of sludge in all the oil passages & cylinder head. this layer of sludge will over time, cause rocker arms to seize up and eventually snap, cause oil pump pick up issues and a whole range of other problems. the modern engine will fail in less than 100,000km if regular oil changes are not maintained and repair costs can end up costing thousands all because oil maintenance was overlooked.

Thanks for the opinion.
What oil should i get if i don't use the Honda brand one? Cheers

stndrd
15-10-2011, 09:18 AM
how many km's on the car and do you have a history of what oil has been used previously? i would recommend using a nulon 10w40 full synthetic. if this will be the first service you are carrying out, get a bottle of nulon engine flush and put that thru before you change the oil