PDA

View Full Version : How much clutch fluid to put through entire system on eg civic?

crobaa
16-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi guys I have a eg with b18c. Just swapped over the clutch master cyl and pumped through 300ml of new fluid into the system. I definitely bled it properly but it still feels spongy & now also makes a squeaking sound (i heard that this can mean clutch slave). Just wondering do I need to put even more fluid through?

aaronng
16-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Keep pumping more clutch fluid through. Open the bleed valve sufficiently and prop the clutch release fork with a block of wood so that it does not move when you press the clutch down. This will force any trapped air bubbles through.

keeff
16-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I had the same problem on my s2k after changing master and slave cylinders after bleeding i drove for just enough to warm every thing up and bleed again and that let more air out i have now fitted speed bleeders thay are fantastic makes the job so easy

trism
16-10-2011, 11:24 AM
+1 for speed bleeders

crobaa
16-10-2011, 11:25 AM
What do you mean by clutch release fork? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff. At the moment, I top it up, open nipple, push pedal down, tighten nipple, pull pedal up & repeat

crobaa
16-10-2011, 11:26 AM
What a speed bleeders? Some sort of automated tool?

grifty
16-10-2011, 11:51 AM
have a look at the clutch master under your dash board, if its leaking then that will also give you a spongy feeling.

Lukey
16-10-2011, 12:07 PM
my cmc has been leaking onto my floor for a couple of years now lol.

crobaa
16-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Yeah mine was leaking for about 6 months, now all of a sudden I can't get into gear at all so I swapped it for a new one and bled it. Apparently it's a common problem among hondas. I thinking its either the clutch, slave or flywheel now.

Also does anybody wanna start a discussion on how hard it is to remove the old cmc? I have never sworn so much I frustration in my life. The split pin is the devil

Lukey
16-10-2011, 12:25 PM
i never need to change my fluid either, i just top it up. hah

crobaa
16-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah either do I but I thought it may have been an air leak somewhere just a fluid leak because it was a bit temperamental prior to completely dying

HONTUNE
16-10-2011, 10:32 PM
I normally just bleed around 500mls through the system and it does the job.. Everyone has different ways if bleeding clutch fluid tho. As long as your not letting any air back into the system it will be ok. :)

NeedVtec
16-10-2011, 10:40 PM
i never need to change my fluid either, i just top it up. hah

Same problem, same way of "fixing" it aswell. My leaks through the pedal, just top it up once in a while.

dougie_504
17-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah mine was leaking for about 6 months, now all of a sudden I can't get into gear at all so I swapped it for a new one and bled it. Apparently it's a common problem among hondas. I thinking its either the clutch, slave or flywheel now.

Also does anybody wanna start a discussion on how hard it is to remove the old cmc? I have never sworn so much I frustration in my life. The split pin is the devil

I just cut the old one and put a new one in. Size problem is a bit of a PITA but I had some spares in my shed.

The whole job is an a$$hole. I removed my front seat and lay on my back to look up at the CMC behind the pedal. Ended up hurting my back pretty good from having the front rail ridge digging into my back the whole time.

But if you're having massive problems with it I don't mind trying to help. I've only done the one myself but it wasn't too bad. I took one off a wreck in Pick-a-Part (great for learning) then swapped it onto mine so I had a bit of practice.

Bludger
17-10-2011, 11:11 AM
I just cut the old one and put a new one in. Size problem is a bit of a PITA but I had some spares in my shed.

The whole job is an a$$hole. I removed my front seat and lay on my back to look up at the CMC behind the pedal. Ended up hurting my back pretty good from having the front rail ridge digging into my back the whole time.

But if you're having massive problems with it I don't mind trying to help. I've only done the one myself but it wasn't too bad. I took one off a wreck in Pick-a-Part (great for learning) then swapped it onto mine so I had a bit of practice.
if you're anorexic asian you don't need to remove seats:cool:

dougie_504
17-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Well at 6'2 and 233lbs that's certainly not me :)

crobaa
17-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Haha, I'm 6'2" and I just leant over the sills to undo it. Ended up snapping whilst trying to pull it out. But whole stomach area is in pain still from the sills digging in though. Car is at mechanic now anyway, think its the pressure plate

aaronng
17-10-2011, 01:38 PM
What do you mean by clutch release fork? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff.

The clutch release fork is the part in your engine bay in between the clutch slave cylinder and the transmission housing that moves when you press the clutch pedal.

At the moment, I top it up, open nipple, push pedal down, tighten nipple, pull pedal up & repeat[/QUOTE]

No wonder you still have air!! If you observe the bleed nipple, the fluid actually comes out when you pull the pedal up. Not when you push the pedal down.

Instead, you open up the nipple, keep pumping it until you get a steady stream of clutch fluid without any bubbles (I put a clear tube around the bleed nipple so that I can see this). Once there are no more bubbles, press the clutch pedal down once more and then tighten the bleed nipple while holding the pedal down.

j0nn0
17-10-2011, 01:46 PM
1. Replace the slave
2. Fill up with oil
3. Bleed
4. Top up
5. Finished.

crobaa
17-10-2011, 02:10 PM
Aaronng I did it like that the first time but was a bit hard because I was by myself. The method I described earlier I found on YouTube for a one man bleed, it built up pressure no worries and the were no negative comments on the video. I'll try link it here and see what you think, you only need to watch the last 2min

crobaa
17-10-2011, 02:12 PM
It's called, how to replace clutch hydraulics (Honda civic) 22:58 long, user name is Eric the car guy