PDA

View Full Version : Would I notice a difference?

IDV8
17-10-2011, 01:01 AM
I have an auto/semi-auto base Honda DC5 and am considering the following mods, basically trying to improve performance and create a smoother/more enjoyable ride.

Wheels: Rota DPT 17 x 9 +35 all around wrapped in Kumho KU31 tyres - think I'll need to have the guards rolled. Hoping to have it dropped to the tip of the tyre so either King springs or Buddy Club coilovers.

Engine: Injen Cold Air Intake .. Exhaust, any ideas? I know its not a manual so I'm limited in a few aspects but hoping I can still try get the most out of my DC5. Thanks fellas!

ekvtec
17-10-2011, 01:05 AM
I dont get exactly what your trying to ask, as in would you feel a difference with the above mods?

IDV8
17-10-2011, 01:16 AM
I dont get exactly what your trying to ask, as in would you feel a difference with the above mods?
Yeah pretty much if the above is a good start to getting the most out of my DC5.

ekvtec
17-10-2011, 01:34 AM
Yeah pretty much if the above is a good start to getting the most out of my DC5.

Depends on what area you really have in mind. Getting power out of base is pretty hard esp with auto, but with that said a intake wont do nothing but good.

But I would rather concentrate on suspension/brakes/wheels+tyres. Not only make you feel faster but aesthetically more pleasing too.

Just my 2cents

IDV8
17-10-2011, 01:40 AM
What would be the difference between replacing springs to lower my car as opposed to buying new coilovers at $1200-$1500? Thanks for the replies :D

Bludger
17-10-2011, 03:02 AM
What would be the difference between replacing springs to lower my car as opposed to buying new coilovers at $1200-$1500? Thanks for the replies :D
The difference is as you explained.

I will mention that the more you put in, the more you will get out.

IDV8
17-10-2011, 08:03 AM
But I mean specifically whats the difference? I'm not 100% but is it that coilovers will absorb more thus less 'bouncing' or ..? Also is there a resource with mods explained that would be fit for auto cars? Thanks

Bludger
17-10-2011, 08:10 AM
But I mean specifically whats the difference? I'm not 100% but is it that coilovers will absorb more thus less 'bouncing' or ..? Also is there a resource with mods explained that would be fit for auto cars? Thanks
The most obvious difference is that you either replace your springs.......

OR

You get Coilovers......

ALL other differences/variables like I have already posted, will depend how much you put in......

IDV8
17-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Yes well thats the obvious conclusion but I mean when driving what difference is there between whether you've just replaced springs or you've replaced the entire coilover?
Saying "how much you put in" doesn't exactly give me an idea of what differences there are between the two ..? :confused: There will be 4 new (lower) springs.. or 4 new coilovers.. unable to tell the differences it will make to driving from that.

Bludger
17-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Yes well thats the obvious conclusion but I mean when driving what difference is there between whether you've just replaced springs or you've replaced the entire coilover?
Saying "how much you put in" doesn't exactly give me an idea of what differences there are between the two ..? :confused: There will be 4 new (lower) springs.. or 4 new coilovers.. unable to tell the differences it will make to driving from that.
I have tested every suspension on the planet and I know the difference, I just won't tell you:)

I can also read your mind & know how much you want to spend.

will help to answer 1st sentence of post #4

IDV8
17-10-2011, 09:34 AM
But I would rather concentrate on suspension/brakes/wheels+tyres. Not only make you feel faster but aesthetically more pleasing too.

So I should be looking at different specs for Rota DPT 17 x 9 +35 all around wrapped in Kumho KU31 tyres, guards rolled and king springs?

azzacrombe
17-10-2011, 11:08 AM

I just lowered my DC5 on kings springs. Basically they feel exactly like stock. The only issue is, it doesnt lower the car THAT much (35mm-40mm). If you want to go for a really low look, your best getting tein springs or better yet, adjustable coilovers as you can adjust exactly what height you want the car to sit at. Obviously, the lower you go with the springs, means you would have to upgrade your shocks as well. This would make your ride a bit stiffer.

As the others have said, the more you spend the better the mod. Obviously coilovers are the best way to go, but a bit pricy. Just depends how much you want to spend and how low you want to go. Hope this helps

Indie
17-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Saying "how much you put in" doesn't exactly give me an idea of what differences there are between the two ..? :confused: There will be 4 new (lower) springs.. or 4 new coilovers.. unable to tell the differences it will make to driving from that.I'd suggest you just ignore Bludger, as he takes every available opportunity to be an insufferable, argumentative ****.

You asked what the difference will be between King springs and Buddy Club coilovers, and while I can't answer that myself, it's a simple question, and I'm sure that somebody who isn't a sarcastic arsehole will be able to help.

Bludger
17-10-2011, 11:58 AM
you know what, my bad, I didn't read his 1st post properly, specifically asking about Kings springs & Bc coilovers.

Fail

ekvtec
17-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Depends on your budget really? If you just want lows with close to stock feel go springs, but if you want something more stiff and less body roll,better driving feel, etc etc go coilovers

I recommend going coilovers if you get the 17x9 wheels, because the car will bounce alot with springs and might hit/scrub the wheel/tyre quite a bit unless you set up tonnes of camber

So I should be looking at different specs for Rota DPT 17 x 9 +35 all around wrapped in Kumho KU31 tyres, guards rolled and king springs?

Nothing wrong in this wheels specs, from past experience I would recommend 17x9 as it does sit flush with the guards, however you will have to roll your rear guards

Hope this helps

IDV8
17-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I just lowered my DC5 on kings springs. Basically they feel exactly like stock.
Thanks for the reply, exactly what I was after - I'll see how I go budget wise, what wheel specs are you running?

I'd suggest you just ignore Bludger, as he takes every available opportunity to be an insufferable, argumentative ****.
Lmao cheers mate, I couldn't see a way to ask the question any simplier so figured that there was just something wrong with Bludger.

Nothing wrong in this wheels specs, from past experience I would recommend 17x9 as it does sit flush with the guards, however you will have to roll your rear guards

Hope this helps
Thanks for that, will see how much I can save before I get ahold of the wheels :D Could be the better option to just hold out until I can get adjustable coilovers as I'd hate to have the wheels rubbing.

Thanks again guys.

Latino CRX
17-10-2011, 02:11 PM
i hear givin ya springs a nice chop and make u feel like ur drivin a HSV o.0

trism
17-10-2011, 04:24 PM
=

The king springs will get you a few cm lower, and thats about it.

The coilovers will have a full range of heigh adjustment, and youll be able to go from stock height, all the way down to flat out dumped.

Youre better of saving a bit more money, and just getting the coilovers, because it ends up being a waste of time and money if you just get springs, and arent happy with them.

Indie
17-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Coilovers will generally make the car feel a bit sharper, but the ride a bit firmer, right? But there are brands out there that are better suited to daily driving than others, and aren't as harsh?

I'm not 100% sure, having never had coilovers, but I imagine the OP would like to know.

All I know is that it's worth saving up for coilovers rather than getting springs and new shocks. The flexibility, and guarantee of perfect fitment, seems worth the price of admission.

IDV8
17-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Interesting :D Mines a daily, which means daily drives over annoying speed humps too. If I went with Super Low King Springs (50mm lower) does that mean the car will be 50mm closer to the tyre? Just checking if thats how its measured - thanks!

newpaddy3
09-04-2012, 11:51 PM
No...

simmy
10-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Straight pipe so you sound hectic

integraR
10-04-2012, 11:01 AM
replace suspension bushings will make your car drive like it was when it was new

androo
10-04-2012, 08:27 PM
I hate this place.

ROFL but it's been 6 months and you're still here =]

What did you end up doing to your car anyway?

Evok
13-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Kings aren't stiff and don't go low...
For the wheels, you will notice it being slower taking off but maybe more traction if you go bigger tyres

Intake = yes.