PDA

View Full Version : VIC Buying a vehicle interstate. What happens with rego?

yeahSCOTTT
18-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Im looking into buying a car thats in NSW and i live in Victoria.
im planning on flying up and then driving the car back and i need to know exactly how i would go about it.
how do i transfer rego then drive it back to victoria?
how does insurance work?
what are the costs involved?
who can speak from person experience about this?

before you say it, i searched no one had a detailed answer to this

khanguskhan
18-10-2011, 08:48 PM
haven't done it before but I've sold my car interstate from VIC to Queensland and I helped the buyer alot it terms of the processes, so I'll tell you what I would do.

Firstly, Check, Double Check then TRIPLE Check that there's no write offs for that vehicle especially a write off that is FROM Vic makes the process a little bit harder.
With rego it depends on how helpful the seller wants to be, you can come to an agreement with them, especially if the vehicle is sold with REGO keep it that way and drive it back first, give you a period.. say 14 days to organise the transfer.
- If you go forth with this method which is the main method I know of just type up a paper declaring the date of sale and handing over of vehicle, best to do it at a police station they'll sign it win win.
With Insurance it's best to just get a basic package and inform them you're picking up the car, since it gives you 30 days cooling period, just pick up the car bring it home and get quotes later for a better price if you wish.
Buying interstate allows you to negotiate the price a little, as the person from another state does NOT have to provide you with Roadworthy. Regardless you will have to get a VIC RWC all over again. the only thing important is if it's had an engine transplant, I believe you need the mod plate or engineered plate?
You bring the vehicle into VIC, get your RWC, Register the car. You can then ask VicRoads for a form to fill in and get reimbursed for you're registration. (IF the vehicle is sold with rego, that rego belongs to you.)

So in the paper that you write for the sale you write things such as
This person from this address is selling this car to person2 from this address at the agreed price of $$$$$. For a Honda Integra Type R, Reg : XXX 000, VIN : BLABLA12341234. The sale includes the remainder of the registration that is on the vehicle.
And this vehicle is picked up on the 19th Oct 2011, hence any fines related to the vehicle after this date are directed at person 2. Bla bla .

Signed Both Parties,
Witnessed by a 2nd member from both parties if possible
Signed/ Witnessed by police.

Goodluck

jahniel24
19-10-2011, 03:08 AM
i bought my evox last january in NSW, all vicroads needed was the Roadworthy certificate and the rego transfer papers. what i did with insurance was called just cars before I drove the car going back to VIC and they just have to get your details and your all good to go. as per the costs depends on whos with you, how you drive and of course what kind car it is. but i would recommend regardless what the seller says is have the car serviced at nsw first before driving it back. It could be a costly tow if anything goes wrong. hopefully this helps you!

stndrd
20-10-2011, 09:05 PM
i bought my evox last january in NSW, all vicroads needed was the Roadworthy certificate and the rego transfer papers. what i did with insurance was called just cars before I drove the car going back to VIC and they just have to get your details and your all good to go. as per the costs depends on whos with you, how you drive and of course what kind car it is. but i would recommend regardless what the seller says is have the car serviced at nsw first before driving it back. It could be a costly tow if anything goes wrong. hopefully this helps you!

Agreed, tho i would take it to a reputable workshop before you hand over your hard earned $$$ and get them to give the car a good check over, incase there are some major problems with the car. Once you get back from nsw and you have gotten a RWC, the car will have to be presented to vicroads so they can check engine number and VIN numbers. Just make sure you get the seller to sign a copy of the vicroads transfer papers and get a copy of an old nsw rego paper (with personal details removed) just to cover your ass incase you get a dodgy vicroads attendant. Otherwise best of luck and if you need a RWC, pm me =]

fillit
21-10-2011, 06:30 PM

+1 exactly what i did with my ae111, although i purchased it from a mate so i knew the condition it was in, don't cheap out on the inspection, it will save your wallet in the long run... even losing out on plane tickets + accomo + workshop fees will still be cheaper than the potential headaches it may encumber.