PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox fill hole re-thread - Melb

euromandeluxe
19-10-2011, 10:37 AM
I remember reading someone on Ozhonda had the fill hole re-threaded for the transmission when the threads in the gearbox case were stripped.

Can anyone recommend a place in Melbourne to get this done without having to pull the whole transmission (but instead lowering it by lowering the engine on its mounts)? Can this be done? Cheaper labour lol.

Cheers.

ALPS
20-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I remember reading someone on Ozhonda had the fill hole re-threaded for the transmission when the threads in the gearbox case were stripped.

Can anyone recommend a place in Melbourne to get this done without having to pull the whole transmission (but instead lowering it by lowering the engine on its mounts)? Can this be done? Cheaper labour lol.

Cheers.

I had this problem dude, like we spoke via inbox msgs. I got JAK motorworks to repair it while they were installing my new clutch. they took my gearbox to an aluminium welder and he welded on a new socket. look at the pics below so you understand what i mean.

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k494/Alpish/image.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k494/Alpish/image1.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k494/Alpish/image2.jpg

vyets
20-10-2011, 01:52 PM

Cheers.

unless you can flip the car upside down lol, you gotta weld with gravity not against it. Still can be done just harder but it's a job you don't want done half assed

AusS2000
20-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Gearbox fill and drain hole is on the side IIRC.

EKVTIR-T
20-10-2011, 08:14 PM
I had this problem dude, like we spoke via inbox msgs. I got JAK motorworks to repair it while they were installing my new clutch. they took my gearbox to an aluminium welder and he welded on a new socket. look at the pics below so you understand what i mean.

Did they tell you they were going to do this and you agreed?

Why didnt you just re tap and use a larger diameter plug?

They made it look like an abortion dude

AusS2000
20-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Only roadkill is gunna see it, and they've got more pressing things on their mind, such as your car.

EKVTIR-T
20-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Crawl back under your rock knackers

ALPS
20-10-2011, 10:19 PM
Did they tell you they were going to do this and you agreed?

Why didnt you just re tap and use a larger diameter plug?

yer they suggested all my options first but what the best would be. around the hole also had cracks in actual casing. the before pic is abit hard to tell. but if you focus you can see cracks. that's why we welded it and might as well have put on another proper socket. I was very happy with the work. re=tapping would of also had a higher chance of problem with the metal shavings falling in etcc.

Hasbeen
20-10-2011, 11:34 PM
There is a bloke in Brisbane who does a mobile service repairing stripped spark plug threads in alloy heads, with them still on the engine.

To get into some of those plug holes he has various angle drives for the drills & taps he uses. He drills & taps the head, & screws & bonds in a tube with a standard spark plug thread in it.

He did one for me in a Triumph 10 years ago, & said he could do any other sizes as required.

He reckoned there were people all round Oz doing this, so have a look for someone doing this in Melbourne. They could probably get in there, & solve the problem.

ALPS
21-10-2011, 12:51 PM
there is a guy in Melbourne who everyone knows about, has very good reputation also does the re-tapping for a very good price. His name is Damien, mobile 0419507633. But, i would rather get what i have done. less risk of metal shavings dropping into the gearbox. and the plug is more secure and robust than the Gearbox Casings alloy.