PDA

View Full Version : Coilover advice

remo88
21-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi Guys,
Need help with choosing a new set of coilovers for the s2k.

It is my daily, I will be taking it to the mountains and plan to track it occasionally.

The car came with coilovers on it but they are knackered/leaking.
I'm not too fussed with the stiffness/ i think anything will be more comfortable than my current setup.

I'm considering getting a set of BC Racing BR Coilovers, especially after reading this review
http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/861880-bc-racing-br-coilovers-review/page__hl__bc+coilover

These are about $1500 fitted with warranty.
or should I go for a TEIN Monoflex setup which is over 3k or something along those lines.

Rather not spend a ludicrous amount

Any reason not to go with the BC's? Any advice appreciated

Thanks

RIHIA
21-10-2011, 10:12 PM
my s2k came with the bc coilovers... i couldnt ask for it to handle any better! im not that much into tracking it but when these are set on hard it seems very trackworthy... too hard for daily driving so im guessing they would be good on track. i have them set about mid way and it is nice for my "spirited" daily driving style :)

ALPS
22-10-2011, 12:58 AM
i also have the BC ER coils. in lovee!! awsome value for money and very good ride. got it set to 15 F/R

sae
22-10-2011, 09:07 AM
another popular alternative is the Blisteins PSS9, dont cost a fortune but they do their job well [note if you're buying coilovers to dump your car then these ain't for you]

panda
22-10-2011, 11:36 AM
another popular alternative is the Blisteins PSS9, dont cost a fortune but they do their job well [note if you're buying coilovers to dump your car then these ain't for you]

these or kw's, your s should deserve the best

i wouldn't touch bc with a 10foot barge pole, especially if you plan to track

remo88
22-10-2011, 01:11 PM
thanks for the opinions guys.
yeah now I'm really just tossing up between KW V3s and the BC coils.
need to figure out how often i'll track it and how much cash i should really spend.

though i do want to enjoy my s2k to the fullest,
the car currently has hotstuff/hotstar (not sure) coilovers which are leaking. Unbelievably crap (i assume the previous owner just wanted to lower the car...)

what are you running panda?

9large
22-10-2011, 02:57 PM
The KW V3s are usually even more expensive than the Tein Monoflex's... I reckon you'll be right with the BC coilovers.

AusS2000
22-10-2011, 10:33 PM
I love my v3s.

9large
23-10-2011, 08:25 AM
As do I.

mocchi
23-10-2011, 09:17 AM
care to briefly elaborate why?
previous coilovers to compare?

AusS2000
23-10-2011, 10:03 AM
My previous coilovers were the ones Honda supplied but with H&R springs.

Just last week I was out tuning with Stevharr and he mentioned that the ride was much more compliant with the new coilovers than before and yet it corners extremely flat with virtually no body roll.

I've been meaning to get around to raising the front 5mm or so to lessen scraping on my driveway. So I also appreciate the ride height adjustability.

9large
23-10-2011, 06:17 PM
care to briefly elaborate why?
previous coilovers to compare?

For me, the KWs give me the adjustability I need for a mix of road and track use compared to the stock coilovers which had no adjustability. The default settings are also very compliant. Having said that, to adjust rebound and compression with the KWs is a PIA compared to your typical Tien's and BC coilovers.

vyets
24-10-2011, 09:20 AM
tein monoflex shouldn't cost over 3k

kw v3's will cost you about 2.4klanded but you will be able to find cheaper if you hunt around for quotes.

kw v3's are good if you want a comfortable street coilover that you install and just leave it without fkn around with the settings.

They preform decent on track but IMO they are more of a street setup as they're soft, and adjusting the rebound is a fkn nightmare, and the height spring perches are piss weak which can cause the thread to round on the alley key lock. I was not a fan of these at all, they're good don't get me wrong just not for me.

IMO just go with the BC coilovers, bang for buck. you can get em for about 1.1k and install them yourself, and buying it from a local shop saves you alot of headach if something happens to them.

AusS2000
24-10-2011, 12:56 PM
adjusting the rebound is a fkn nightmare

Agree on that point. Mine were set to some settings that specified by someone in the US when I got them and seem to be a pretty good setting. Good enough that I can't be bothered adjusting them.

If I had Tein SR's with EDFC (two sets for this coilover I believe) I'd never stop fiddling with it.

ALPS
24-10-2011, 01:31 PM
IMO just go with the BC coilovers, bang for buck. you can get em for about 1.1k and install them yourself, and buying it from a local shop saves you alot of headach if something happens to them.

+1... they are a very good ride for a coilover. I have mine set to in the middle of full soft or full stiff. It handles a lot better than OEM and i'm curious to see how it will perform at full stifness. i'll probably give it a shot on my next time around a few mountain roads. I've always had compliments and questions about what coilovers i have in there. Best bang for your buck!

panda
28-10-2011, 11:10 PM
my ol s on tein ra, firm ride, not low enough for my liking though

if you budget can stretch out to kw and you plan to have your s for a while, that would be my pick

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/ymf77/lo.jpg

remo88
31-10-2011, 10:14 AM
looks like I'll be going with the BC Coilovers, seems like a very good match with price and performance.
i'll most likely get it from OTR, that way I'll get the 12 month warranty as well. less hassles.

thanks for the advice guys