PDA

View Full Version : removing axle nut

egb16b
21-10-2011, 11:18 PM
has anybody got any tips on removing the axle nut?? without an air gun.

I was able to remove the passenger side easy - there was no indent on this nut btw

The driver side was indented - I did my best to straighten out the indent. I've tried using a massive breaker bar but i still can't get the bastard to break.

it's doing my head in .. hard!

I'm hoping to do it without having to hire an air compressor and air gun.

help a brother out!

egb16b
21-10-2011, 11:29 PM
No need - just did a search.. should've done that at the start lol.

dougie_504
21-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Lol. Did you screwdriver + hammer the indent out, then use a big breaker bar with the wrench resting on a block of wood the same height off the ground as the nut so that the leaverage doesn't ruin your wrench-angle and round the nut?

That's what I do :)

fatboyz39
22-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Use a 3/4' Breaker bar.

chargeR
22-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Use a 3/4' Breaker bar.

This. I have a metre long 3/4" drive breaker bar and 32mm socket, and it makes short work of those nuts. Whereabouts in VIC are you? If you are relatively local to me (I'm in Essendon) I can drop round and undo it for you? Drop me a PM.

egb16b
22-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Yeah i youtube'd it and saw the plank of wood the same height as the nut so you wont rah rah rah trick..

Yeah my breaker bar is panzy as... I need a bigger one... a big black one maybe .. ?

Essendon is a bit too farr man.. i'll try and manage first.

egb16b
22-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Fck Yeah i got it offff!!!! Don't you love that feeling when you break that bastard of a bolt!!

now to get the ball joint off .. hmm..

Bludger
22-10-2011, 08:27 PM
I know you said no air tools, but I just want to show a trick you should learn.

keep it up your sleeve for those tricky situations, for when overkill is never enough........

It's like the Minigun that Mac (Predator) used to clear half a forest.....

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u19/bau_fug/P1010127.jpg

3/4 drive machin......... I mean rattle gun.....

dougie_504
22-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Screw the breaker bar sh!t seriously. Just get a hollow steel pole like mine a good 4-5 foot long and slide it straight over your wrench.

Bludger
22-10-2011, 11:49 PM
Screw the breaker bar sh!t seriously. Just get a hollow steel pole like mine a good 4-5 foot long and slide it straight over your wrench.
poor wrenches won't handle it....

rhys.l
23-10-2011, 08:18 AM
^^ Sidchrome would :)

Anyway, I took to the easy option and hired an electric rattle gun (cost me like $15 for a few hours) and wham bang it was off in a matter of seconds.

ECU-MAN
25-10-2011, 04:57 PM
have someone press the brakes ( hard )
place your breaker bar on the nut,
stand on your bar abd bounce you weight on it, the nit will crack.

I never remove the indents, Just hit them with the airgun and they undo. or the above method. cant go wrong

dougie_504
26-10-2011, 08:59 PM
The nuts are cheap anyway, I just replaced mine last time. Rusted and brittle. Also managed to fine a replacement for the inner rubber dust seal which I broke with my screwdriver trying to get the driveshaft out. Surprising what you find in some of those tiny little shops behind the corner...

egb16b
27-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah I don't use a proper breaker bar.. just a pole shoved onto my 1/2 ratchet..

but fck me i think i stuffed my axle nut thread.. was trying to bash out the driveshaft with a rubber mallet but that didn't work so i tried a hammer.. which mushroomed the bolt and now the axle nut won't go back on ... =((

and on top of that the driveshaft is still stuck into the knuckle assembly..

any help on both situations???

stndrd
27-10-2011, 03:43 PM
if you have mushroomed the thread on the driveshaft, you will be hard pressed to re-tap it. your best bet would be to take off the hub with the shaft still in it, take it to a driveshaft shop (statewide driveshafts or action driveshafts if your located in s.e suburbs) and get them to press it out and supply a change over shaft or just put a new cv on the outer end

ECU-MAN
28-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah I don't use a proper breaker bar.. just a pole shoved onto my 1/2 ratchet..

but fck me i think i stuffed my axle nut thread.. was trying to bash out the driveshaft with a rubber mallet but that didn't work so i tried a hammer.. which mushroomed the bolt and now the axle nut won't go back on ... =((

and on top of that the driveshaft is still stuck into the knuckle assembly..

any help on both situations???

never smack the drive shaft directly

always use a punch into the center notch of the drive shaft. prevents the head from mushrooming

egb16b
28-10-2011, 02:14 PM
ohH i seee... will give that a go and hopefully it'll work.

thanks guys

rhys.l
28-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Do it properly dude and use a 3 leg puller