PDA

View Full Version : EXHAUST SIZE HELP Headers>cat>straight pipe.

oemjdmftw
22-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Hey all, got a d16y1
I have 4-2-1 headers, the last pipe of the headers is 2.5'.
Just wondering what size straight pipe and cat I should run. 2", 2.25" or 2.5"

I don't want the car to sound too drony or loud, and I do not want to run a muffler. But I do want maximum performance. so would 2.5 be okay?

thanks in advance -_^

stndrd
22-10-2011, 04:39 PM
if the engine is standard, i would run a 2.25in as it will keep good back pressure and won't effect afr's to heavily. 2.5in you may feel a loss of power because there is not enough scavenging

viinnh
22-10-2011, 05:06 PM
2" is good for a d series.

oemjdmftw
22-10-2011, 06:23 PM
ahh, cheers. also, will 2.25 be relatively quiet? I don't want a loud loud car.

oemjdmftw
22-10-2011, 06:23 PM
2" it is, will a muffler restrict my car alot?

viinnh
22-10-2011, 06:28 PM
it depends on waht muffler you got, how many resonators you got as well

u mad?
22-10-2011, 08:56 PM
if you don't run any mufflers its going to sound like shit and will be very loud and you will get defected.

why not go 2.25 press bent, mild steel with a resonator and a muffler + second hand high flow cat.

won't be raspy or too loud.
won't be expensive (hey it's a d series after all).
and there will be some improvement in performance.

Thats what i'd do if i was in your position.

CRXDEL501
22-10-2011, 09:37 PM
2.25" press bent
One or two resonators
Muffler (not a cannon if you want quiet)

mugen_ctr
22-10-2011, 09:45 PM
2.25" press bent
One or two resonators
Muffler (not a cannon if you want quiet)

a cannon is a muffler...... its the style of it that different s itself from other shapes and designs of mufflers :)

A oval shaped muffler is the way to go for quite, or better yet, a dc2r if u want oem sound...

I run 2.5 cat back, its only loud when u go WOT, or depending how u drive, also... Those who say 2.5 is loud, is talking outta there arses... and loosing power? u dont loose power on a d-series, u loose slight amount of torque down low, but gain more upper power in the rev range....

CRXDEL501
22-10-2011, 10:30 PM
a cannon is a muffler...... its the style of it that different s itself from other shapes and designs of mufflers :)

A oval shaped muffler is the way to go for quite, or better yet, a dc2r if u want oem sound...

I run 2.5 cat back, its only loud when u go WOT, or depending how u drive, also... Those who say 2.5 is loud, is talking outta there arses... and loosing power? u dont loose power on a d-series, u loose slight amount of torque down low, but gain more upper power in the rev range....

Did I say it wasn't a muffler? I said he will need a muffler but not a cannon style

justin333
22-10-2011, 10:44 PM
What i usually done on my civic B16a is running 4-2-1 header, decat+ 2.25" full exhaust with twin loop got 10~15kw increase

viinnh
22-10-2011, 10:49 PM
dont decat lol

mugen_ctr
22-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Did I say it wasn't a muffler? I said he will need a muffler but not a cannon style

miss read it champ :)

CRXDEL501
23-10-2011, 09:43 AM
miss read it champ :)

Lol all good man
Would never recommend a cannon muffler if you want a quiet exhaust :)

EK1 Civic
23-10-2011, 10:16 AM
I got a 1.75 inlet 4-2-1 header ending in a 2inch outlet, then running a 2inch high flow cat, onto a 2inch mild steel with some coating to make it last longer, forgot wat it was now that was mandrel bent entering into a 2.25 inlet twinloop muffler with a 3inch tip. No resonator and its quiet when you just cruising. Its not to quiet which is good, but once u open up the throttle it shouts. Don't get a quiet exhaust, caz wat was the point of all of it then? Get something with a bit of noise so you can hear it but not overbearing that it annoys you in the cabin. Thats why i dont have a resonator. my 2c.

mugen_ctr
23-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Strongly suggest u do get a resonator as it reduces the droning, as well as the db level... though realistically, a cheap upgrade on any oem car would be to remove the factory resonators for a more low down grunty sound, but if ur going for a larger system, best opt for a resonator in the b-pipe but remember, regardless how quite u think ur system is, its not upto u to say how quite it is ;)

Lukezen27
30-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Dude 2.5" will be loud as hell and way too big for your needs.. 100%
I've been through this multiple times

I only went 2.5" exhaust once I turbocharged my D16Y1 (135kw) but even then 2.5" wasn’t really needed.

The noise sucked big time not to mention the incredibly annoying droning on long trips... I put the biggest oval MAGFLOW muffler that would fit under the EG’s bumper plus a resonator and it was still a tad loud for my liking but bearable.

Should note that I ran the same 2.5" exhaust on my turbocharged B16 making a healthy 160kw without problem so clearly 2.5" is overkill on your current setup.

To simplify things!
Stock 1.75’ would have done just fine...but as you’ve already got a 2.5" header installed just go with a standard 2.5" Cat and 2.5" B-pipe press or mandrel bent, your choice but for the love of god stay away from cannon mufflers! The oval shaped MAGFLOW muffler combined with a good resonators makes a nice deep sound anyway

My 2c

dougie_504
30-10-2011, 02:52 AM
One of my mates got a 2" mild-steel press-bent exhaust, no resonator, ended in a XForce twinloop. Poor dude thought it was loud as feck and had to go back to get a resonator LOL.

2.5" on my CRX, fine.

I have a 2.5" with 5Zigen cannon to suit my EG sedan but I don't really wanna put it on like Luke says. Probably be mega loud and overkill for size. I picked it up for $100 though so maybe one day I'll just turbo to justify it...

PGB
30-10-2011, 04:41 AM
2 inch is more than adequate for a standard D series. A decent cat, One resonator fitted as far down the B-Pipe as possible away from it and a top quality straight through glass pack muffler would sound raspy sharp on revs and nice and quiet any other time. Better to have a small diameter pipe and let it flow that try to quieten down a larger one.
Im with Viinnh, Decatting is for chumps. A gutted cat will not produce more power lol. It creates unwanted turbulence unless you sleeve it

awaiken
31-10-2011, 08:02 PM
I have stainless 4-2-1 headers, stock cat, 2 inch catback with a redback inline box style resonator/muffler and the same for the rear muffler. Sounds deep and quiet low revs, can hardly hear it at idle but it absolutely screams at WOT. Considering changing to a hotdog resonator and APEXi Dunk muffler or a magnaflow universal to quiet it down a tad. I like the sound, but it sounds like a pissed off hornet when I'm giving it the beans.

Overall it's all dependant on muffler/resonator combos, if you stinge it and grab cheap a cheap muffler then you'll most likely have an unappetising loud system.

Here is a video for reference of my setup with some quick revs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMWCw7oDZis

IV73CI
14-11-2011, 10:40 AM
ive got the DC-Sport SS 4-1 Headers --> 2.5in Collector --> SS 2.5inch CAT --> SS Xforce twin loops all mandrel bent SS piping (xforce CAT back kit) on my B16 ..

doesnt sound loud ...it actually give a nice tone ...on idle and on VTECCC ...

when u rev ...it sounds like the Fast & Furious 1 scene when Brian was revving up on his Mitsu Eclipse Turbo (green one) and dumps it!

my exhaust sounds same/similar just without the turbo spool sound :)

sounds great and not loud at all.....