PDA

View Full Version : welding spacers

viinnh
22-10-2011, 05:09 PM
hey guys i know slip on spacers are dangerious and void the insurance

so i was wondering what if i got extended studs, got slip on spacers (hubcentric) and welded it to my brake disc, would it then be SAFE, & LEGAL ? im just wanting to slip on 8mm on or 10mm

Zilli
22-10-2011, 05:20 PM
the heating process involved in welding compromises the integrity of steel, not only would a modification like this be illegal unless performed by and signed off by an engineer, its just dangerous...

Bludger
22-10-2011, 05:31 PM
OzHonda engineers......

r3ckless
22-10-2011, 05:31 PM
if u have extended studs, ur slip on spcers will be safe.. i would suggest to make sure ur spacers have a centerbore though

markismaximus
22-10-2011, 06:28 PM
it's likely the welding would warp the rotor

son of eevil
22-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Spacers are actually a bad idea and are illegal for a good reason.

I personally ran spacers on a car of mine and it caused one of the studs to snap off, this was under very normal driving conditions too.

Be very cautious when using them!

r3ckless
23-10-2011, 12:30 AM
And share with us what brand u have? I been running h&r and ran both slip on and bolt on by h&r for past 2 years and three track days. No worries at all. I know a few time attack cars running them. At the end of the day. U get what u pay for.

son of eevil
23-10-2011, 08:37 AM
They were slip on, not sure what brand only 2-3mm though.

Bolt on's can be fine but slip on's can be dangerous.

vtecster
23-10-2011, 09:43 AM
just get better offset wheels. problem solved ! lol

viinnh
23-10-2011, 10:40 AM
the heating process involved in welding compromises the integrity of steel, not only would a modification like this be illegal unless performed by and signed off by an engineer, its just dangerous...

ohh okay then. this mate sound stupid ? do they make brake disk where its meets the wheel like extended ? if you get what i mean, im planning to upgrade brake in the future anyways

OzHonda engineers......

yeahs.

if u have extended studs, ur slip on spcers will be safe.. i would suggest to make sure ur spacers have a centerbore though

but wouldnt be legal right ? voids insurance ?

it's likely the welding would warp the rotor

ohh okay thanks

Spacers are actually a bad idea and are illegal for a good reason.

I personally ran spacers on a car of mine and it caused one of the studs to snap off, this was under very normal driving conditions too.

Be very cautious when using them!

They were slip on, not sure what brand only 2-3mm though.

Bolt on's can be fine but slip on's can be dangerous.

ahh okay wasnt planning to run them cheap 20$ ones. was planning to get the ones where its made to fit

And share with us what brand u have? I been running h&r and ran both slip on and bolt on by h&r for past 2 years and three track days. No worries at all. I know a few time attack cars running them. At the end of the day. U get what u pay for.

nice will look into them (Y)

just get better offset wheels. problem solved ! lol
cant, enkei rpf1 in 4 stud comes in 35 and i cant afford 5 stud conversion as ill need it towards engine conversion

Renaissance_x
23-10-2011, 10:57 AM
If spacers are sooo dangerous then how come porche have fitted them to their cars standard? It's all in the ones you get, if they're decent quality or not.

son of eevil
23-10-2011, 02:52 PM
If spacers are sooo dangerous then how come porche have fitted them to their cars standard? It's all in the ones you get, if they're decent quality or not.

It's simple physics. If you open a door using the handle it's easy, if you push near the hinge it's harder.

Move the weight closer to the outside of the bolt and they bolt carrying more stress, amplify that if you like doing zippy corners.

Porsche would do it because their engineers would have factored the spacers into the design.

Believe what you want though, I'm telling you though, that running spacers caused one of my bolts to snap under normal driving conditions, I took them off after that and changed my wheels, didn't happen again.

mugen_ctr
23-10-2011, 04:05 PM
It's simple physics. If you open a door using the handle it's easy, if you push near the hinge it's harder.

Move the weight closer to the outside of the bolt and they bolt carrying more stress, amplify that if you like doing zippy corners.

Porsche would do it because their engineers would have factored the spacers into the design.

Believe what you want though, I'm telling you though, that running spacers caused one of my bolts to snap under normal driving conditions, I took them off after that and changed my wheels, didn't happen again.

As far as the reason they use em, who knows, but its definite a engineered piece of gear, as u dont want ur wheel coming off at 180mph so u can safely put ur life on the line when u drive a Porsche with spacers

Race cars use em, as well, so again, spacers = safe if using the correct ones

And this is a first ive heard of anyone snapping a stud using spacers, heck ive used em for a good 1.5 years an nothing broke, and even used em on a few spirited drives, but i had to take em off when the wheel alignment was done, due to the camber settings...

viinnh
23-10-2011, 04:28 PM
as far as this thread goes thanks guys, i know some are safe some are not about now i want to know legal issues. what type and ways or what is there to do to make spacers legal and not let insurance get void

marquee
23-10-2011, 04:30 PM
In Victoria would assume the same with NSW.

All spacers are illegal unless they come standard with the car

son of eevil
23-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Deffinetely illegal in NSW, for the above reason.

You my be able to get them engineered to be legal though, but I doubt it.