PDA

View Full Version : B16a gear oil.

BennyH
26-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey guys, planning on changing gear oil this weekend. Just need to know which one to get. Its used as a daily and only times give it a flog. So nothing fancy. Cheers guys.

dorikin
26-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Just get Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF)

dougie_504
26-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Agreed with the MTF 100% mate. I'm not saying it's the best oil possible, I'm sure there's other stuff that's just as good or maybe better, but it sure as hell gets the job done and I assure you Honda made it knowing full well that people would rev the B16A to 8,000+ regularly :D

Mine took about 1.9L last time I refilled, but I was only jacked up at the front. Maybe if you're on four jack stands you might get a tiny bit more in, but 2x 1L bottles should suffice.

BennyH
26-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Hmm. You guys know roughly how much it is? And reason for me changing it is because gears are crunching. This surely should fix it aye.

JDM-EGG
26-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Hmm. You guys know roughly how much it is? And reason for me changing it is because gears are crunching. This surely should fix it aye.

nah changing gearoil dosnt mean it will fix ur crunching .. if ur syncro's are ****ed it will not do anything .. but give it a try

aaronng
26-10-2011, 10:39 PM
If it crunches, then synchros are worn, probably from the previous owner using a transmission fluid that was too thick.

Honda specifies a 75w80 manual transmission fluid. The only other one that I've seen with this viscosity was an Elf MTF.

EG30
27-10-2011, 03:54 AM
Castrol VMX80 is 75w80 GL4 too, eqv to 10w30 motor oil vis

http://www.stealth316.com/misc/castrol_vm_80_gl4.pdf

MTF oil from Honda dealers supplied by Caltex Aust, price depending on discount given or rrp.

VMX80 about $40-45 for 4L at SCA, $12 or so per L bottle.

mocchi
27-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Castrol VMX80 is 75w80 GL4 too, eqv to 10w30 motor oil vis

http://www.stealth316.com/misc/castrol_vm_80_gl4.pdf

MTF oil from Honda dealers supplied by Caltex Aust, price depending on discount given or rrp.

VMX80 about $40-45 for 4L at SCA, $12 or so per L bottle.

have you actually used it? honda mtf is abt $15/L
would be nice if it's as good and save some dollar.

IV73CI
27-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Since your in Syd?

go to Hanis Performance and buy a 2 x 1L bottles of the Genuine Honda MTF its about $15 per bottle.

or go to Mekong Spares for $12 bux a bottle.

If your gears are crunching then sooner or later they will go.. so changing oil wont fix anything (just like others have said).

when ur in need of synchros, ive got a hydro B16A S4C gb sitting at home with perfect synchros but needs new main bearings.

i changed to a fully rebuilt 4.4 box from Melb Hondaworld. and luckily enough my box came with a present which they had no idea it had - LSD .....whoopp whoopp!!! for the price of a non-lsd box.

the only thing that was 2nd hand was the transfer case and the reverse gear - other than that, all synchros, seals, bearings were new.

other than that .. shes clean as a whistle! LOL

EG30
27-10-2011, 03:24 PM
have you actually used it? honda mtf is abt $15/L
would be nice if it's as good and save some dollar.

Yeah used both Castrol and Honda MTF plenty of times. Felt the same in my boxes.

I buy the honda ones only when I'm at honda buying other parts and they match price of 1L vmx80 of $12.
When I need fluid on Sat afternoon and Sun when Honda dealers are shut then VMX80 the only choice also.

BennyH
28-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Cheers for replies guys. So in other words my gearbox is getting flogged. Goin out the window soon and need a replacement gearbox.

dorikin
28-10-2011, 06:29 PM
No one is going to be able to tell you over the internet whether your gearbox is flogged... either get it checked out or just change the fluid.

I changed mine to Honda MTF and gear changes felt a lot smoother afterwards (probably because it hadn't been changed in a while)

EG30
28-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah so true dorikin.

Change the fluid 1st it's a no brainer, if pain persists then investigate further.

The newest B series box you can source is over 10 years old, and unless it's a known mint shifting box from a car you know you never know the true conditions of its internals.
They are good and durable boxes if not abused, if they are it doesnt take long for the synchro sleeves to wear and the rest goes downhill from there.

IV73CI
31-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Cheers for replies guys. So in other words my gearbox is getting flogged. Goin out the window soon and need a replacement gearbox.

YEP its a goner! LOL :P

too much VTEC kickin in yo!! LOL

but yes get it inspected if changing oil doesnt help!