PDA

View Full Version : EK rear bushing into EG rear LCA. Possible?

g0harvey
28-10-2011, 10:27 AM
The reason is for running ek rear coils on a EG. Has anyone swapped the rear EG LCA bushings for EK Bushings??? Is this even possible?

Has any one got any information on this.

A few people suggest this is possible in random threads i found whilst searching but has anyone got some experience on the issue?

example:
"Yep, EK bush = 40mm, EG bush = 50mm.

So to fit EK coilovers on to a EG, you will need to shave the EG bush or get a new EK 40mm bush press into the LCA."

stndrd
28-10-2011, 06:38 PM
i have just gone thru this problem and come out in front (tho very expensive).

firstly i brought function 7 rear LCA's and tried machining the bushes that come with the control arms down to size, but i was unhappy with this finish. after much discussion with my fabricator and one of his good mates who does alot of heavy machinery, we found some bushes that suit CAT earth moving machinery (tho i'm not exactly sure which one as my fabricators mate sourced it).

if you are wanting to go ahead with this pm me and i will get further details after the long weekend and i can send you pics of my rear end set up to show you how it has turned out

89lude
28-10-2011, 07:21 PM
just shave the bushing. same result. i did this on one of my old eg's. it works fine. its only a few mm on each side of the bushing.

niiCk
28-10-2011, 07:27 PM
The reason is for running ek rear coils on a EG. Has anyone swapped the rear EG LCA bushings for EK Bushings??? Is this even possible?

Has any one got any information on this.

A few people suggest this is possible in random threads i found whilst searching but has anyone got some experience on the issue?

example:
"Yep, EK bush = 40mm, EG bush = 50mm.

So to fit EK coilovers on to a EG, you will need to shave the EG bush or get a new EK 40mm bush press into the LCA."

So you want to fit Ek coilovers onto an EG?
Ive done it. I just shaved down the rear bushings on my LCAs. Its about 3mms difference (just mark it off yourself). I did it using a grinder and having someone spray water constantly so it doesnt heat up like crazy.

Thats about it then you fit your EK coilovers:)

g0harvey
29-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I know you can shave them but its all a bit dodgy in my eyes. The bushing's condition affects handling and 'grinding' something sounds like it wont be improving the bushings lifetime.

Again, people suggested you can simply 'press an ek bushing into the eg LCA' im not sure how that would make sense as they are said to be different sizes but if it is possible then its obviously a much better option than grinding.

Anyone?

niiCk
29-10-2011, 10:47 PM
its not that dodgy, the bushing is made of metal. If you get it a perfect fit then i wont see why its bad.

Anyways, just try pressing a EK bushing yourself.
Dont think many people on here would do such a thing anyways

stndrd
30-10-2011, 09:24 AM
i'm pretty sure that the overall diameter of the eg & ek bushes are different, so you can't simply press an ek bush into an eg lca. this is why i didn't not go down this simpleton route

g0harvey
31-10-2011, 08:56 AM
^^ thats what i was thinking. Its just i searched many many threads and this kept popping up as a solution 3 or 4 times.

Cheers

stndrd
31-10-2011, 09:48 AM
pm me if you want me to source you some of these bushes i have used in my function 7 arms