PDA

View Full Version : Headunit stuck?

manonastick
29-10-2011, 01:49 AM
I just want to ask a quick question. Got around to get myself a new alpine headunit but i can't seem to remove my current aftermarket sony headunit that i have in my car. I followed this guide (http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/PDF/466013.pdf) but there seems to be no 2 screws behind the headunit holding the headunit in place. Do i need some sort of key to pull it as i didn't get any from the previous owner because my new headunit manual mentioned something about it.
thanks

TbM
29-10-2011, 06:00 AM
On most aftermarket headunits ive installed they will come with a cage that has a locking tab either side of the headunit, they will usually come with 2 extraction keys to pull the headunit out of its cage. If you dont have the ones for your old sony i would try the ones you got with your alpine(assuming you got some) or in the past i have used 2 knives(blunt long thin blade) to do it when the proper ones wernt available. you just need to slide them in either side of the headunit so it unlocks the tabs then the headunit will pull out. Ive outlined where the you slide the key or knife in with a red line, If your deck has a plastic surround(bit of black plastic outlining the face of the headunit) like mine does you will need to remove that to see where to slide it in
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd458/TbMindustrys/IMAG1127-1.jpg

tiksie
29-10-2011, 02:08 PM
As above, you need to 'pinch' the side plates to pull it out or it won't come out.

manonastick
29-10-2011, 03:36 PM
I see
Ima give it a go then now thanks

manonastick
31-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the helps guys
I tried using something flat to stick into the headunit it helped a bit but in the end 3 guys brute strength prevailed lol
Also found out that the previous owners had some dodgy installation but i fixed it up myself today. Unfortunately i forgot to disconnect battery soo i blew the fuse for clock and the headunit when i was soldiering i think so i need to grab a replacement before testing out my new headunit. Another question i have is do keep the head unit plugged in when i install the new fuse or leave it disconnected?

TbM
31-10-2011, 12:50 AM
If you have wired up everything correctly then there is no need to unplug the headunit when replacing the fuse.