PDA

View Full Version : Seatcovers

Euro2005
18-02-2005, 02:07 PM
G'Day, Does anyone know of any seatcovers for the Euro that are compatible with the side air bags ? Thanks.

Euro2005
21-02-2005, 02:42 PM
Found some Five star supreme quality sheepskin seat cover designed for use with bucket seats incorporating side impact air bags* that deploy from the centre of the side of the seat. Arrow Tech includes front personal pocket for driver convenience. Also includes foam padding for extra comfort, full lining for extra protection and heavy duty fasteners for secure fitting.
27mm supreme quality pile sheepskin. $298.00

http://www.seatcoverworld.com.au/sheepskin/arrowtech.htm
http://www.seatcoverworld.com.au/sheepskin/arrowair.htm

Euro2005
22-02-2005, 04:53 PM
This is the reply I got from Seat Cover World when I asked about sheepskin covers for my Honda Euro ivory interior -

'The seats in your vehicle are smaller and I would suggest getting the covers custom made not the universal size E30/50a. Your headrest is quite small and the universal size would be much to large. Also the width of the base is also quite narrow and the fit would not be complimentary for the vehicle. The price of custom made Arrow Tech in Ivory would be $450.This is a full sheepskin with a 1/3 backing on the cover so there is still access to the map pocket on the back of the seat. There would also be a freight charge that will be advised once we know your location.'

Still much cheaper than Honda's price of $995

EuroAccord13
22-02-2005, 05:13 PM
At least with Honda... they guarantee the airbag will inflate if the event need be..

Does SCW give this guarantee?

Be careful with safety related issues like this :)

Euro2005
23-02-2005, 02:34 PM
At least with Honda... they guarantee the airbag will inflate if the event need be..

Does SCW give this guarantee?

Be careful with safety related issues like this

I asked SCW ---
Hello,
Honda Euro has a Driver and front passenger side airbags with *position
sensors* (seat mounted) , if you put anything, your arm,anything in the
way of the sensor it automaticly turns the air bags off.
Will your Custom ARROW TECH affect the sensors ?

SCW replied ---
We have supplied may custom made covers for a variety of retail stores for your vehicle and no-one has had an issue with the covers covering any sensor. The ARROW TECH {as shown on the web } does have a full cut out for the airbag provision and does not hinder the airbag in any way. If there are still concerns perhaps visit the Honda Dealership were the vehicle was purchased and ask for there guidence.

EuroDude
17-05-2006, 08:54 PM
So where does the side Airbag deflate from?

Does it rip through the side of the seat by ripping through the seat fabric?
Or does it punch through the plastic cover at the rear of the seat?

Wouldnt the seats need to be re-fabricated if the airbags go off?
The fabric and stitching seems quite strong to me, and my Euro workshop manual mentions three mechanical parts to replace if they go off, but mentions nothing about the seat fabric.

thenozman
18-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Hi Guys,

I didnt know that Honda made seat covers due to the existence of the side airbags. Anyone know the part number etc.

I also had a look at the "disclaimer" on the seat cover world web site:

http://www.seatcoverworld.com.au/documents/AirbagDisclaimer.pdf

I note that they say "this...product...has not been tested, nor has it been approved by the road traffic authority" and that "if for any reason the side air bag fails to open, the manufacturer will not be held responsible". Even though the manufacturer would not be able to escape their obligations under the relevant fair trading acts, would you want to take the risk of injury??

I am also not sure as to whether or not it is legal or not to use seat covers which cover side airbags. May at the very least effect any "personal injuries claim" in the event of an accident (i.e. contirbutory negligence).

I note that holden and some other manufacturese offer "seat inserts" rather than seat covers (i.e. a strip which covers only the face of the seat but not the sides of the seat).

jayakodi
18-05-2006, 08:05 AM
I have put front seat covers on my euro but service techinition from honda aske me remove it as it may failed to deploy/interfear with side air bags. Those seat covers are custom made with side openings for the side air bags.

BiLL|z0r
18-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I also have front seat covers with a side air bag hole in them. I beleive the air bag rips through the stitching when deployed. My car has been in for it's 10K service and no1 said anything.

Tobster
18-05-2006, 10:40 AM
So where does the side Airbag deflate from?

Does it rip through the side of the seat by ripping through the seat fabric?
Or does it punch through the plastic cover at the rear of the seat?

Wouldnt the seats need to be re-fabricated if the airbags go off?
The fabric and stitching seems quite strong to me, and my Euro workshop manual mentions three mechanical parts to replace if they go off, but mentions nothing about the seat fabric.
I can answer this as mine has gone off! See the attached pic.

The bag rips the seat lining where the side panel meets the front panel -- it rips the stiching leaving a tear about 15-20 cm. They replace the whole seat skin along with the airbag.

The pink think that you can see at the top of the photo is the curtain airbag -- which rips your roof lining so you get a whole new roof lining.

(Somebody ran into my 4 week old 06 at the end of January)

Believe me: they go off with a bang (in an instant) and you don't want a seat cover that's going to stop them.

I used to be blase about airbags: now I've experienced them, I'd pay for them as an option.

EuroDude
18-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks Tobster, great pic :)