PDA

View Full Version : VIC Vicroads and JDM Foglights + little mods

mattsrea
02-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi guys i got an ej8 and moving to Melbourne this christmas, i was wondering if i can use the clear jdm foglights at night time? I heard from a fellow ozhonda that its illegal to have yellow ones turned on at night time but its okay to have the clear ones on at night time. Can anybody confirm?

Also for P1 drivers is it true that you have to leave your car stock (performance wise)? Because i was planning on adding a CAI and a few light mods onto it. Thanks guys

dc2r-0636
02-11-2011, 07:59 PM
3 demirit points and $250 fine if driving with foglights on in any conditions except for fog.

dc2r-0636
02-11-2011, 08:01 PM
But yeh u cant have yellow anyway, need clear. And you wont get done for having a CAI

mattsrea
02-11-2011, 08:18 PM
omg are you serious??? Even if your bulbs in the foglights arent even bright??? O_O
LOL

WATAJK
02-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Daniel i believe it's just a fine not demerit points. Well that's when my brother got book'd about a year ago..

Wouldn't stress to much about the P1 stuff dude, i modified my car the day i got it and i was still red p's.. never had a problem with my Injen on my DC5

mattsrea
02-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Daniel i believe it's just a fine not demerit points. Well that's when my brother got book'd about a year ago..

Wouldn't stress to much about the P1 stuff dude, i modified my car the day i got it and i was still red p's.. never had a problem with my Injen on my DC5

Oh yeah okay, cos i was reading the vicroads rules for p plates and they say u cant do like any mods to your car :S

dc2r-0636
02-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Oh really? When my mate got done in his sv6 he copped 3 points.. And op the only rule to follow is the one passenger rule! I always took passengers til i went in the one point option lol

mattsrea
02-11-2011, 11:15 PM
LOL fair enough, like now it makes me think twice on whether to get jdm foglights or not =|

dc2r-0636
02-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Put them on, just use them in moderate rain and weneva its foggy!
You gota be unlucky to get done for having foggies on wen ur not allowed to but, depends wat kind of a day the cop has had lol

DA9B18C
03-11-2011, 06:22 AM
You gota be unlucky to get done for having foggies on wen ur not allowed to but, depends wat kind of a day the cop has had lol

X2 for sure

azn_k3nt
03-11-2011, 07:36 AM
There's a reason why its called fog lights. I had my white ones on my rav4 at night, going through a booze bus, the cop told me to turn them off.

So it doesnt really matter if its yellow or white as long as its used appropriately then you would be fine.

Another thing, why is everyone having them on these days??? so annoying seeing 4 white lights shining at you =="

Bludger
03-11-2011, 07:50 AM
omg are you serious??? Even if your bulbs in the foglights arent even bright??? O_O
LOL
you get a dim torch and shine it in your eye, see if you get dazzled.

It's not how bright it is, it's where it's pointing.

curtis265
03-11-2011, 09:29 AM
^yeah just like shitty HIDs

+1 to that!

But it's not like u can actually see much with them anyway. I have oem fogs on my prelude and u seriously can't see shit with foglights only... and in rain/fog it makes hardly any difference. They're aimed so low it's almost pointless. i think they're more 'to be seen' with rather than 'to see with'.

Bludger
03-11-2011, 09:33 AM

+1 to that!

But it's not like u can actually see much with them anyway. I have fogs on my prelude and u seriously can't see shit with foglights only... and in rain/fog it makes hardly any difference. they're more 'to be seen' with rather than 'to see with'. They're aimed so low it's almost pointlessFoglights are not aimed low.

They are aimed straight ahead.

The beam has no concentrated center (hence why it looks very dim.), it's a broad beam/scattered light. Pointing in all directions.

curtis265
03-11-2011, 09:40 AM
oh. so it's just mine being down... you can see a cutoff on the road ahead, but yes it is a wide beam

Bludger
03-11-2011, 09:41 AM
sigh.....

There is no cutoff mate, it's just scattered light pointing in all directions.

It's not like your low beams where there is a horizontal cutoff.

WATAJK
03-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Foglights are there to be pointed towards the ground (slightly)

They work underneath the fog to help grant you visibility of the road that's all.
Now-a-days they grant you "day driving lights" which look ugly as hell. I drive with my foggies all the time on, never had a problem and in fact i prefer having them on especially on regional driving or anywhere that isn't well lit! Any extra bit of light is a little bit better for your vision provided they are working effectively!

mugen_ctr
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM

+1 to that!

But it's not like u can actually see much with them anyway. I have oem fogs on my prelude and u seriously can't see shit with foglights only... and in rain/fog it makes hardly any difference. They're aimed so low it's almost pointless. i think they're more 'to be seen' with rather than 'to see with'.

If ur foggies are as big as these in the images, than they are as bright as the head lamps them self, i know, cause ive driven with jus foggies at night before LOL........

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85175&stc=1&d=1258088523

PPL with white foggies, who say they are foggies, there not fog lights, they are normal driving lights! Fog lights in actual fact need to be yellow, because in a real foggy situation, the fog is white, so u need a yellow lighting so others can see you on the other side during a fog situation. Having a white light in a foggy situation is stupid imo.

WATAJK
03-11-2011, 12:34 PM
If ur foggies are as big as these in the images, than they are as bright as the head lamps them self, i know, cause ive driven with jus foggies at night before LOL........

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85175&stc=1&d=1258088523

PPL with white foggies, who say they are foggies, there not fog lights, they are normal driving lights! Fog lights in actual fact need to be yellow, because in a real foggy situation, the fog is white, so u need a yellow lighting so others can see you on the other side during a fog situation. Having a white light in a foggy situation is stupid imo.

This is true, only refer to mine as foglights as they are in that position where foglights would go!

Rolla_Kid
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
There's a reason why its called fog lights. I had my white ones on my rav4 at night, going through a booze bus, the cop told me to turn them off.

Same story here. Once in a rav4 and once in a subaru, neither time i was driving though. For the amount of time that you will be using or be allowed to use them you have to ask yourself if they are really worth it...

Also with engine mods, keep your car quiet on idle and make sure if you mod the engine keep it looking relatively standard. make sure if you have a pod filter its covered up.
No lumpy cams and no revving just before a cop car or booze bus and you'll be right ;)

mattsrea
04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeahh alright. I might get the clear foglights off ebay when i move down to Melbourne actually. So whats the final verdict on having clear foglights guys? Usable at night time or strictly on foggy weather??

Bludger
04-11-2011, 04:27 PM
LOL yeah well i tried the foggys on my dads CRV and it doesnt even go far, its like pointing to the ground straight on :L

But yeah is it alright if foggies are turned on in heavy rain? Or strictly just in foggy weather?
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzomg

you never read any of the above did you?

They're not a headlight, they're not meant to go farrrr

dc2r-0636
04-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes its fine lol.

mattsrea
04-11-2011, 08:49 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzomg

you never read any of the above did you?

They're not a headlight, they're not meant to go farrrr

I edited my comment boss, sorry about that (A)

Yes its fine lol.

And okay thanks champ, i'll get the clear ones.

Torell
04-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Keep in mind, it may be illigal to mod your car, however, its not illigal to drive a car you baught already lightly modded. Such as my ludes driving lights, or my diamond vision headlight globes. If they dont hit ppls eyes, they will be fine :)

Bludger
05-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Keep in mind, it may be illigal to mod your car, however, its not illigal to drive a car you baught already lightly modded. Such as my ludes driving lights, or my diamond vision headlight globes. If they dont hit ppls eyes, they will be fine :)
wait wot?

mugen_ctr
05-11-2011, 12:45 AM

You can say what ever to the cop, "i brought the car like this" blah blah blah...... but either way they are still gonna dick ya, which begs the question why buy a modded car if ur gonna get dicked either way...... IF its deemed as a defect, its a defect straight up, you can argue all u want, there still gonna get u ;)

If u choose to play the modding game, play it safe and smart :D

Bludger
05-11-2011, 12:48 AM
It's like walking past a dying man and saying I'll just keep walking, I didn't hurt him....

Pretty extreme analogy, but same shit.

mattsrea
05-11-2011, 06:44 PM
ahahahaha, nice comparison! LOL

Lukey
05-11-2011, 07:19 PM

they are classed as foglights if they are in the lower part of the bumper/bullbar, regardless of colour

CrystalSkull
15-01-2012, 03:01 PM
mattsrea > Fog lights are to be used in fog....

AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 217

217—Using fog lights

(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with front fog lights or rear fog lights must not operate the fog lights unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.

Offence provision.

(2) In this rule:

"front fog light" means a light (other than a headlight) fitted to the front of a vehicle to improve illumination of the road in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.

"rear fog light" means a light (other than a brake light, a tail light, a number plate light or a reversing light) fitted to the rear of a vehicle to make the vehicle more easily visible from the rear in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/arr210/s217.html

stndrd
15-01-2012, 10:11 PM
On top of that, vicroads reasoning as to why you can't have them on (regardless of whether they are driving or fog lights) is that if they are incorrectly aimed, they can shine into oncoming driver's eyes & distract them, potentially causing an accident.

I've personally been done by the police for this and if you want to take it to court, you can get it thrown out (like I was lucky enough to) but the police officer who pulled you over won't care if they are driving or fog lights, he will just hand the fine over

Johnie
24-01-2012, 02:37 AM
they are classed as foglights if they are in the lower part of the bumper/bullbar, regardless of colour
Question about the dc2 lights theres the two bug eye head lights on both sides anx the white clear ones next to inducaters do they count as fog lights as at night theres 4 white lights? even tought u turn on the lights normaly u get 4 white lights

stndrd
24-01-2012, 08:43 AM
they are deemed as "parker" lights

euRo_noob
24-01-2012, 01:01 PM
On top of that, vicroads reasoning as to why you can't have them on (regardless of whether they are driving or fog lights) is that if they are incorrectly aimed, they can shine into oncoming driver's eyes & distract them, potentially causing an accident.

I've personally been done by the police for this and if you want to take it to court, you can get it thrown out (like I was lucky enough to) but the police officer who pulled you over won't care if they are driving or fog lights, he will just hand the fine over

Are you talking about normal HID's as your headlights?

Does anyone know if they're cracking down on HID's now? Two of my friend's have been recently done for HID's and other mods as well (but HID's was what drew the attention in the first place).

I drive a 2011 CU2 so I have projectors/it's a new car.. would they care as much? My lights have a cutoff mark.

stndrd
24-01-2012, 01:22 PM
^ I was referring to what people try and deem as driving or fog lights. They are deemed illegal by mr police officer regardless.

If they are factory fitted HID's with under car auto leveling sensor's, they are legal. If they are aftermarket without auto level sensor's, they are illegal

fillit
24-01-2012, 08:01 PM
mattsrea > Fog lights are to be used in fog....

AUSTRALIAN ROAD RULES - REG 217

217—Using fog lights

(1) The driver of a vehicle fitted with front fog lights or rear fog lights must not operate the fog lights unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.

Offence provision.

(2) In this rule:

"front fog light" means a light (other than a headlight) fitted to the front of a vehicle to improve illumination of the road in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.

"rear fog light" means a light (other than a brake light, a tail light, a number plate light or a reversing light) fitted to the rear of a vehicle to make the vehicle more easily visible from the rear in fog, snowfall, heavy rain or dust clouds.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/arr210/s217.html

soo true, i got fined $150 for having my fog lights on............ strangely enough they didn't even bother to check my HIDs, LEDs, height, exhaust or intake......

however this was by highway patrol on the calder... i've never had troubles in the metro areas..

Lukey
24-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know if they're cracking down on HID's now? Two of my friend's have been recently done for HID's and other mods as well (but HID's was what drew the attention in the first place).

I drive a 2011 CU2 so I have projectors/it's a new car.. would they care as much? My lights have a cutoff mark.

i hope they are, good riddance. ****ing ricers

euRo_noob
25-01-2012, 03:16 PM
i hope they are, good riddance. ****ing ricers

I just don't like cars without projectors having them/they point to the sky.

Grayfox
28-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Ouch.

I installed Driving lights on my old accord and used them at night and in the rain and I never got told off by cops even at late night breath test stations when i had them on.

Same on my new FK2.

I only use them at night and in the rain, but i always drive with my low beams on all the time since my car does not have DRLs.

Lukey
28-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I just don't like cars without projectors having them/they point to the sky.

i meant cars that dont come with them standard, but even cars with them standard blind the **** out of me

Grayfox
28-01-2012, 04:53 PM
i meant cars that dont come with them standard, but even cars with them standard blind the **** out of me

Because people these days do not bother to read a car manual and see what that little switch that says 0 1 2 3 with a picture of a headlight does(leveling system for headlights).

If i am going to carry something in the back i make sure i set it to 1 or 2 so i dont blind others.

mattsrea
30-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Sorry for the late replies guys, i been busy settling into my new Melourne home. Another question on little mods, i was planning to lower my ej8 and i got this photo of x3cindymichael who's selling his ej8 (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?160042-96-Honda-Civic-Coupe)

Now i dont plan on getting King Springs but my question is, if i were to drop my ej8 approximately the same as the King Superlows, would it be a defect since the guards are kinda covering the tyre? Because x3cindymichael's ride height's are the options for my car. Thanks guys! :)

akira
31-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Sorry for the late replies guys, i been busy settling into my new Melourne home. Another question on little mods, i was planning to lower my ej8 and i got this photo of x3cindymichael who's selling his ej8 (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?160042-96-Honda-Civic-Coupe)

Now i dont plan on getting King Springs but my question is, if i were to drop my ej8 approximately the same as the King Superlows, would it be a defect since the guards are kinda covering the tyre? Because x3cindymichael's ride height's are the options for my car. Thanks guys! :)

it cant be lowered more than a third of your shocks and you must have at least 100mm clearance from ground to lowest point of your car. although cops dont look at the guards that often, its still illegal apparently. The chances of them getting you fall that is really low as they'll prob get you for the low clearance over the lowered guards.

mattsrea
31-01-2012, 10:07 PM
it cant be lowered more than a third of your shocks and you must have at least 100mm clearance from ground to lowest point of your car. although cops dont look at the guards that often, its still illegal apparently. The chances of them getting you fall that is really low as they'll prob get you for the low clearance over the lowered guards.

Ahh right thanks, well i was looking at Tien S-techs which lower 1.9F and 1.7R which is both less than the 50mm legal limit although it does look pretty low. I was doing some google search and some guy installed the Tien S-techs on his em1/ej8 and it looked like this
http://i44.tinypic.com/2ep0avq.jpg

Im running on 15x7 xxr 501s which is kind of similiar to the stock em1 wheels in the photo i think. Would i get approximate the same drop as that? The S-techs i'm looking at are http://www.ebay.com/itm/280707441841?item=280707441841&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Very cheap and authentic :)

My car is sitting at a ride height where i can fit my chucks in lol
http://i41.tinypic.com/1251dmc.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/kro29.jpg

dnapol
01-02-2012, 09:54 AM
With those rims the car should be slammed IMO

mattsrea
01-02-2012, 07:54 PM
With those rims the car should be slammed IMO

lol slammed as in like 3inch drop? O.O