PDA

View Full Version : Why cant I use the RED key ???

subie
04-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Guys,

my car came with the Genuine Honda RED Key but the previous owner said can't use it , only there for copy (if i lost the key) , she reckoned if i use it to start the car , it will do the damage ?

but , she could not give me straight answer why ??

anyone ?

cheers

tiksie
04-11-2011, 08:16 PM
It resets the immobiliser and ECU.

NEVER use this key to try and start it. It's only there for duplication.

ECU-MAN
05-11-2011, 12:50 PM
as above Red key is only used to program the immobiliser, attempting to start the car with the red key can erase the immobilisers key memory and your car will have to be towed to a dealer for key reprogramming.

AE092
05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
I work for Honda Parts - as mentioned, that key has a code encrypted into it and is used only for coding replacement keys.

manonastick
08-11-2011, 08:56 PM
i got a curious question, is every red key programed with a specific code or is it universal as any red key will just erase all ecu and immobilisers? My car didn't come with one but i have one laying around from another ek thats not on the road anymore.

lilthug
08-11-2011, 08:59 PM
each red key would be unique to each car

ECU-MAN
09-11-2011, 01:02 PM
You cannot use the Red Key from another Civic. however with non convetional methods I can program in new replacment red key if you have lost your red key. I can also program the red key to start the car while maintaining the immobilser functionality.

dc2r-0636
09-11-2011, 01:40 PM
is it possible to go to honda and get a red key ordered for your car that has aftermarket alarm?

Bludger
09-11-2011, 01:47 PM
is it possible to go to honda and get a red key ordered for your car that has aftermarket alarm?
has nothing to do with an aftermarket alarm, it's to program the factory immobilizer.

the answer to your question is "yes" it is possible

they might tell you to go ead though.

IV73CI
09-11-2011, 01:53 PM
has nothing to do with an aftermarket alarm, it's to program the factory immobilizer.

just to stir things up... LOL

seeing that EM1 (example car & ecu only) uses the P2T ecu with the built in engine immobilizer..

so if i was to use a JDM ECU say ... PCT CTR...which has no built in immobilizer ...then practically the car should still start and drive round without the engine dying yeh?

:P

ECU-MAN
09-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Honda sells a new red key with a new immo control unit. also comes with a black key and cost is about $450. key pattern is blank and gets cut to suit your lock, then electronicly matched to your car.

ECU-MAN
09-11-2011, 01:55 PM
just to stir things up... LOL

seeing that EM1 (example car & ecu only) uses the P2T ecu with the built in engine immobilizer..

so if i was to use a JDM ECU say ... PCT CTR...which has no built in immobilizer ...then practically the car should still start and drive round without the engine dying yeh?

:P

you can use JDM ECU's on OBDIIb cars without any issue, this will bypass the immobiliser. The immobiliser in OBDIIb ECU's can be bypassed as well.

dc2r-0636
09-11-2011, 02:00 PM

cheers Bludger

IV73CI
09-11-2011, 02:18 PM
you can use JDM ECU's on OBDIIb cars without any issue, this will bypass the immobiliser. The immobiliser in OBDIIb ECU's can be bypassed as well.

Thanks bud,

no wonder i could drive the car before without any issues, ... unlike subaroos you have to change all electronic components if changing ECU's round. I.E transponder keys/chip, immobilizer modules and magnetic key surround.

no wonder i/we all loves our hondas ... interchangeable hassle free (well for some)

ECU-MAN
09-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks bud,

no wonder i could drive the car before without any issues, ... unlike subaroos you have to change all electronic components if changing ECU's round. I.E transponder keys/chip, immobilizer modules and magnetic key surround.

no wonder i/we all loves our hondas ... interchangeable hassle free (well for some)

well not really

OBDIIa immo system is different and does require you to swap keys, immo controll units ect when changing the ECU or pair everything with the Red Key, With this system if you have a programmed key you can swap ECU to a OBDI or JDM, you still use part of the immobilser, If you want to use a blank key without transponder then you have to bypass the immo control unit as well.

OBDIIb are different

Bludger
09-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks bud,

Subaru ECU is flashable. no need for modification.

I/H/E just copy on new maps.

IV73CI
09-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Subaru ECU is flashable. no need for modification.

I/H/E just copy on new maps.

thats tru ..coz i have a Fozzy XTi .. @ 225awkw @12psi reflashed ...

but if i was to change ECU's ...it aint easy as plug and play - u still need all the immobilizer components as i mentioned earlier.

(ive tried and failed) ... had to switch everything around ...and bear in mind this was going to another Fozzy XT ..which should be as easy as 123 ...but it wasnt.. lol.

but yes - map copying is simple and works with any subi ECU that has been reflashed. :)

unl3a5h
12-11-2011, 01:11 PM
how will one go about reprogramming the red key to work as a normal black key cause damnn that red key looks fineee lol

ECU-MAN
12-11-2011, 02:32 PM
you would have to ship your keys and immo control unit and ECU to me and I can then reprogram the immo system. fee's apply