PDA

View Full Version : D16Y5 in a 92 Hatch

Miicky
05-11-2011, 05:02 PM
So I picked up a shitbox, 92 civic hatch, it has a D16Y5 yes V-tec E. Wiring i have no idea how it worked they had cut the dash and installed the cluster from what ever car the D16y5 came from im guessing EK? quite funny this is a manual car and the P2M-Q61 ecu is a auto? on top of that instead of wiring the indicators with the new plugs they just overrided this with speaker wire yeah cool man! wait! i didnt tell you the engine fan was on a manual switch aswell as the horn! yell yeah u dick head!

This is something im not sure about.. fuel pump in engine bay? this car has efi? originally a carby car.. am i thinking correctly? .... anyways car is wire free awaiting new loom to be made then im going ems stinger yes a manual cluster will be installed.

any opinions, help and what ever u want to say, im sure allot of opinionated people will have a say and ur entitled to it =) looking for some knowledge able people for opinions.

there is much more about this car to come as this is an entire overhaul.

jdmEG5
05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
looks like, they put in an external fuel pump in, dodgy up the ecu wirings just to get it running and etc. Its sorta like putting an efi engine in a carby and lol man, wth would u get this car in the first place?

Miicky
12-11-2011, 05:47 PM
give me something to do...

mocchi
12-11-2011, 05:56 PM
give me something to do...

Haha thanks bro. Nah just vtir gearbox still. But yeah with the intake mods my top end is pretty sweet. Will be better ice it's tuned properly

jeremydawg
12-11-2011, 06:23 PM
looks like youve taken on quite the project. good luck with the resto

Cassandra.

Miicky
12-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Stripped the interior out today rubbed it all back resprayed it awaiting the new matting then the new loom will be installed with the ems stinger new fuel pump will need to be installed or ill need to figure out how efi works etc

jdmEG5
13-11-2011, 11:43 AM
was the fuel pump previously intank or external?

Have fun dude looool

Miicky
13-11-2011, 09:02 PM
was the fuel pump previously intank or external?

Have fun dude looool

fuel pump was in the engine bay... so im saying external?

where should it be what should i be doing this is something i have no idea about?

whats the plug that connects under the back seat to the tank?

mugen_ctr
13-11-2011, 09:33 PM
All ek/eg have a internal fuel pump, infact, ALL CARS HAVE A INTERNAL FUEL PUMP!

Ur gonna have to swap out the fuel tank for a efi tank. than with that than u need fuel lines as well...

If u plan on running an external fuel pump, an i dont know why anyone one with a standard car would LOL, u will need a alot of work to get it to pass road worthy, than also engineer it properly, and most importantly, seal it properly in a fire proof housing.

Miicky
14-11-2011, 07:22 AM
thats where im confused, so they all have internal fuel pumps. i heard eg have efi also? not sure how that works when they are orginally a carby car.

fuel lines oh god! does a ek tank fit in eg and lines run via the same channel or is this a headache?

apreshiate the help

mugen_ctr
14-11-2011, 02:54 PM
thats where im confused, so they all have internal fuel pumps. i heard eg have efi also? not sure how that works when they are orginally a carby car.

fuel lines oh god! does a ek tank fit in eg and lines run via the same channel or is this a headache?

apreshiate the help

yeah, if ur gonna run a Efi setup, u will need the fuel tank from a efi eg because the fuel pump is an internal, meaning it sits in the bowls of the fuel tank....

Afaik, the only eg that came with efi are the Gli and the Vti models (eg5). The breeze are carby.

Dont think a ek fuel tank will fit at all, different chassis, so best bet is to find a efi eg fuel tank and take the fuel lines as well. Maybe a Eh fuel tank might fit, though someone else would know for certain.

Miicky
19-11-2011, 11:15 AM
ok scored a tank for 150 with rails.

my issue atm is indicators i just threw up a new thread for it

TheSaint
21-11-2011, 04:33 PM
ok here is what i am reading from this thread

somebody has taken a carby model EG civic (Gl or a breeze)
and tried to put an EK sedan VTI engine in it (D16y5)

to do this properly the 2 main things you need to do are...
1. Convert the car from carby to EFI (fuel tank, fuel pump + fuel lines)
2. Convert the car (wiring harnesses, ECU etc) to OBDII - as the EK was OBDII and the EG was OBDI

as for the vtec-e you can just swap the head out for a D16y8
OR you can swap the head for a D16y1 and keep the car OBDI

confused yet? lol

Miicky
21-11-2011, 04:38 PM
I have the ek wiring and that does not plug and play? I'm confused big time... Ur saying I need to change the head... Why..

TheSaint
21-11-2011, 04:40 PM
the EG civic wiring setup is OBDI - the EK civic wiring setup is OBDII
they are not plug and play with eachother
you either need to convert the engine to OBDI or convert the car to OBDII

if you dont want vtec-e and want more power out of the setup i would recommend changing the head

if you change the car to OBDII than get a D16y8 head
if you want to keep the car OBDI and have everything plug and play get a D16y1 head

the D16y1 and JDM D15b gearbox's are all better than that of the D16y5 and they are bolt on
so if you see one cheap snap it up - the stamping will be S20 B000

Miicky
21-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Ok still way confused, so the eg was stripped at that was wired with who knows what cut chopped and speaker wire was used! Lol I have swapped this so the whole car is now runnin a ek loom straight into the engine bay ( I have an after market computer going in as the one this car was running a auto Ecu with a manual set up? Stupid!

Miicky
21-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I'll also check the gear box where can I find the stamping?

jdmEG5
21-11-2011, 08:00 PM
the EG civic wiring setup is OBDI - the EK civic wiring setup is OBDII
they are not plug and play with eachother
you either need to convert the engine to OBDI or convert the car to OBDII

if you dont want vtec-e and want more power out of the setup i would recommend changing the head

if you change the car to OBDII than get a D16y8 head
if you want to keep the car OBDI and have everything plug and play get a D16y1 head

the D16y1 and JDM D15b gearbox's are all better than that of the D16y5 and they are bolt on
so if you see one cheap snap it up - the stamping will be S20 B000

You dont need to change the head to y1 just for the sake of keeping it to an OBD1, you can simply use ENGINE wiring harness from a D16Y1 and just install that onto the y5.

And op..

*facepalm!* LOL

You're going side/off/on track man.. at one stage ur talkign about your fuel pump then your speaker? then what next? LOL your making me confuse and making ur self confuse lol

No offence LOL

Simply do this for your self within the next few weeks or so.

Source these items out :

- EG hatch Manual VTi interior harness, (dashboard to both shock towers + mid section loom *that runs from the dashboard fusebox to the tank*)
- EG hatch VTi/Si/GLi (must be fuel injected) Engine bay fuse box AND underdash fuse box
- EG hatch/sedan Fuel tank with fuel pump
- EG hatch Efi fuel lines (or you can use the carby fuel lines, you just need a universal fuel filter and 5/16 Fuel hose roughly 2m in length?)
- D series OBD1 Alternator (you will need to change this if you would like to retain your car as an OBD1)

Edit :

- D16Y1 distributor (its obd1) not too sure if gli / si is compatible with the vtec motor
- D16Y1 intake manifold and injectors (coz i think obd2 injectors are diff with the obd1 harness)
- D16Y1 p28 ecu or u can try to find an ek sedan vti manual ecu (u will need the obd1 to obd2 harness for this)

Thats from on top of my head. Ill edit it through if i remember anymore

Have fun.

lol

*rep me if u find this useful*

TheSaint
21-11-2011, 08:45 PM
what i ment about the head was that if he wanted a more performance orientated head to replace the vtec-e one than he could put in a D16y1
this would also save him the hassle of all the conversion wiring

but it sounds like he has already tried to convert the car to OBDII

Miicky
22-11-2011, 05:14 PM
can i close threads? im opening way to many now

jdmEG5
22-11-2011, 08:05 PM
what i ment about the head was that if he wanted a more performance orientated head to replace the vtec-e one than he could put in a D16y1
this would also save him the hassle of all the conversion wiring

but it sounds like he has already tried to convert the car to OBDII

o right. sorry bro misunderstood. :)