PDA

View Full Version : HID Fogging issue

night_wolf
05-11-2011, 07:10 PM
ALLO!

having a issue with my HID 6K's on my spada vt250. the lamp seems to be fogging up? any suggestions as to why?

didnt happen for about a month after installation and now its all misty. sometimes the light seems to turn yellow and then turns white again any reason for this? is the bulb dying off?

any suggestions to both issues are appreciated.

Many thanks ppl.

tiksie
05-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Sounds like the ballast is playing up.

There's only a 1%/2% rate of bulb failure when it comes to HID's.

Try whacking another one on there to see if there's a difference.

night_wolf
11-11-2011, 04:58 PM
i guess ebay is my best bet with getting a ballast... any idea about the fogging issue with the lamp?

tiksie
12-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Are you saying your headlamp cover is fogging ? Getting misty ?

Is it glass or plastic ?

night_wolf
06-12-2011, 04:30 PM
sorry for the late response....(internet issues hehe) its glass and its fogging up for no reason. it fillament is sealed so no moisture can get through but the glass fogs up. any ideas?

androo
06-12-2011, 08:12 PM
When you say 'fogs up', do you mean moisture, or it's going yellow?

If it's moisture, did you seal the rear of the head light housing completely after you installed the HID kit? Does the HID's rubber gasket have a nice, snug fit all round? If it's open or loose, it will allow moisture to develop. Especially if you've been riding a lot when it's cold (hot inside, cold outside). Once you turn it off the head lights will cool down quickly causing condensation.

If it's going yellow, it could be that the HID kit is using cheap bulbs which do not filter UV rays. The UV rays from the bulbs can make head light lens turn yellow. This is only on the very cheap end of the scale or on much older kits.

night_wolf
07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
When you say 'fogs up', do you mean moisture, or it's going yellow?

If it's moisture, did you seal the rear of the head light housing completely after you installed the HID kit? Does the HID's rubber gasket have a nice, snug fit all round? If it's open or loose, it will allow moisture to develop. Especially if you've been riding a lot when it's cold (hot inside, cold outside). Once you turn it off the head lights will cool down quickly causing condensation.

If it's going yellow, it could be that the HID kit is using cheap bulbs which do not filter UV rays. The UV rays from the bulbs can make head light lens turn yellow. This is only on the very cheap end of the scale or on much older kits.

Honestly its a third party brand made in china but most of em are made there so thought what the hell. its not really turned yellow but its more misty white. i ensured there was no way moisture could get through using a custom seal but theres no way i could test it.

got a new ballast and then change in color doesnt seem to affect me anymore but just installed it yesterday so couldnt do a proper test.

ill try and post a picture of the lamp which will provide a clear picture of my problem.

Thanks once again for the input.

khanguskhan
07-12-2011, 10:26 PM
yep thats the yellow, if im not wrong happens from the lamp getting cooked up? at least thats the case in my friend's bro's EM1 with HID