PDA

View Full Version : Header fitment issues?

Gizdawg
09-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Hey guys,

Question for those who have aftermarket headers, did you guys have any fitment issues when installing?

Saw a thread on s2ki where some guy had trouble installing his j's racing on his RHD car, and when I asked the plm rep, he wasn't sure, as all the headers are installed on LHD cars.

What do you guys think?

dlai5552
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
hmmm, well if you think about it; J's racing is a Japanese company where the make the headers for their car as well which are RHD.
So, I think that rules out the fact "all" headers are installed on LHD cars. The only one (well most popular) set of headers that DO NOT fit on the RHD are the Hytech ones. Other then that, you should be fine; J's racing, Mugen, Toda, ASM, Amuse, etc etc.

I installed the J's one, and the wasn't any issues, nor have heard from any of the other guys rolling around with J's headers here.

barefootbonzai
09-11-2011, 02:14 PM
You mean J's COPY header from PLM...? wouldn't be surprised that something cheap has fitment issues...

Gizdawg
09-11-2011, 02:36 PM
^^ Lets be cereal through, gains have been proven with the PLM header. With a good exhaust setup spending over a grand for a header when I can spend 500 for PLM doesn't seem necessary. I understand quality of J's would far surpass PLM, seems like a good bang for buck mod.

I might give it a crack.

AusS2000
09-11-2011, 05:53 PM
^^ Lets be cereal through

I bags be Fruit Loops!

Seriously, you get what you pay for. If it's PLM, it's PLM, not J's. And if it was made for the LHD market I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't fit RHD.

s2kjn
10-11-2011, 08:40 AM
I bags be Fruit Loops!

Lol, I love fruit loops! I don't know about fitment of the PLM, but the genuine one is a bit tricky. It's getting it to fit under the car into the cat that's the easiest, but the way its designed, it was near impossible for me to try to fit it to the engine as the fricking steering column gives you very little space to maneuver it just to fit in the right spot.

dlai5552
10-11-2011, 10:23 AM
My car has so much room, I simply went from the top. With a slight force, I got it down that way. lol

Gizdawg
10-11-2011, 11:51 AM
So I think the general perception is that it fits, its just a bit difficult...aftermarket headers in general that is.

s2kjn
10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
They'l fit so long as they're compatible for RHD. I think the hytech headers wont fit RHD

jrstyles
10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Lol, it fits RHD cars. Why? Because I have them installed on my car. Fitment is fine i guess? Not sure if there were any dramas while installing because I took it to a shop for install but its in and im happy, felt noticeable gains. Regardless of replica or not PLM make great headers and I was lucky enough to get my hands on nitrate coated ones which they do not make anymore.
And if anybody is interested then check my FSthread on s2ki.

Gizdawg
10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Lol, it fits RHD cars. Why? Because I have them installed on my car. Fitment is fine i guess? Not sure if there were any dramas while installing because I took it to a shop for install but its in and im happy, felt noticeable gains. Regardless of replica or not PLM make great headers and I was lucky enough to get my hands on nitrate coated ones which they do not make anymore.
And if anybody is interested then check my FSthread on s2ki.

PM'd.

dlai5552
10-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I read a thread just before, someone saying it was hell difficult to fit in, but they had to bend the pipes a bit to fit it. ie. PLM on RHD.

jrstyles
10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
I read a thread just before, someone saying it was hell difficult to fit in, but they had to bend the pipes a bit to fit it. ie. PLM on RHD.

Not too sure dude like i said before, I had them installed at a shop. If there was any work done to make them fit then I'm guessing that it's shaped to fit now lol. Anyhoo, pending payment.

AusS2000
11-11-2011, 07:25 AM

Probably best to actually reference the thread. Otherwise how do we tell the difference between this and the usual OzHonda "I read somewhere..." rumours.

dlai5552
11-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Okay, I semi-read it wrong, sorry about that. So this is how it goes: PLM very hard to install. The J's is easier, but may need slight bending.

Not sure if there were any dramas while installing
I thought you were the guy who made the third comment down?...

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/865085-js-header-problem/

Although, maybe I should swap my J's for PLM to save some money lol.

s2kjn
11-11-2011, 08:28 AM
This was the issue I was talking about when I was trying to fit mine on. How did you get passed it Dlai? I removed the knuckle that connects the steering column to the torque sensor to give a bit of lee way, then found the correct spot then re-tightened everything.

jrstyles
11-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Okay, I semi-read it wrong, sorry about that. So this is how it goes: PLM very hard to install. The J's is easier, but may need slight bending.

I thought you were the guy who made the third comment down?...

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/865085-js-header-problem/

Yes that is me but I tried doing it myself. Couldn't do it so i took it to a mechanic, came back in an hr and it was in. I have no idea if it was difficult for him or not, but for the less mechanically minded ie myself, maybe i went in from the wrong way or something but yes I couldn't install my first set of headers lhd or rhd. Regardless of that, it's in, it works and it's sold.

mpetrossian
11-11-2011, 11:16 AM
I've got Mugen headers on mine and had no problems fitting them. From memory, it took me about an hour with the front of the car jacked up and on stands.

The Mugen headers come with a heatshield too.

AusS2000
11-11-2011, 12:49 PM
I used to have a HKS header, and yes it was a bugger to install. Took some finagling but once in it didn't hit anything it shouldn't.

dlai5552
11-11-2011, 02:33 PM
This was the issue I was talking about when I was trying to fit mine on. How did you get passed it Dlai? I removed the knuckle that connects the steering column to the torque sensor to give a bit of lee way, then found the correct spot then re-tightened everything.

Mines rubbing, a little. I shouldn't really get around to fixing that. After uni exams, sure will.

Gizdawg
13-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Been talking with a PLM dealer on ebay that sells the PLM header a lot cheaper than on s2ki, apparently he sold one to some dude in Malaysia, and now he's having to refund that guy because it wouldn't fit a RHD car.

What you guys reckon here? I know the PLM dealer on ebay is legit because a lot of guys on s2ki have bought headers from him. Is this guy in malaysia just bad?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280759347365?item=280759347365&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:eRTM:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

For reference, I know it says fits LHD vehicles only, but I didn't think there would be a difference in RHD/LHD headers? >.<

AusS2000
13-11-2011, 06:45 PM
The difference is in the space where the headers fit. RHD has a steering rod through that space. Same reason most US turbo kits don't fit.

PLM I guess is a US company and probably has never seen a RHD car. I also assume there are slight differences in each header that creep in during manufacturing. Some miss the steering rod, some need to be slightly deformed with a hammer, and some just don't fit. But ya's get's what's ya's pay's for's.